Is it too soon to create a wedding registry?

Online Users: 1,353 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 15

Orbital199 Posts : 92 Registered: 10/12/09
Is it too soon to create a wedding registry?
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 9:13 AM

My wedding is scheduled for Feb 2011, 9 months away. I have the itch to start picking stuff out by creating an online registry at Target.com. Is it too soon to make one? Guests won't be notified of a registry being in existance until around the time the invitations go out.

KCI Posts : 150 Registered: 3/30/09
Re: Is it too soon to create a wedding registry?
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 10:43 AM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

It's early, but I don't think too early. I don't see any reason you can't start working on a registry in advance. You don't really need to start this early, but looking doesn't hurt. I'm not engaged but I'm already researching wedding venues.

You're excited. I say go for it and have fun!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 3:36 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

Dear Orbital.

Sure, you can create a registry any time you like, however, things get discontinued and are replace with "new improved" versions.

That is precisely the reason why no one should buy from a registry until shortly before the wedding. If the wedding is cancelled, the gift should be returned to the giver, who would then take it back to the store for a refund. The store probably won't refund anything that was purchased months back.

"Guests won't be notified of a registry being in existance until around the time the invitations go out."

What do you mean, "notified"??? You do know, don't you, that you should not tell people about a registry until and unless asked. You don't put inserts in the invitations, or otherwise proactively advertise the registry. Make sure your immediate family (Mom, Dad, Sis) and bridesmaids know, then they can answer people's questions should they ask.

August28th Posts : 153 Registered: 1/28/09
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 6:05 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

I used to work at Target and things get discontinued practically before you get them on the shelves! I would wait a while if I were you! Good luck!

True love is like a ghost which many talk about but few have ever seen.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 9:46 AM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

It's never really too early. I started mine about 9 months in advance. It's good to make a list of what you want and add it on the registry. However, be warned, the only bad thing about starting it too early is that a lot of the items you add on there won't be available by the time it's time for your guests to shop. A lot of items will either be out of stock or discontinued. So because of that you will need to do a lot of updating and checking to see if any of your items on your list are not there anymore. Usually it will tell you in red next to your item if it's out of stock or something. But if you don't mind having to keep updating and checking your list then go for it J

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I ran into the discontinued item dilema already. It was nice to create a registry and take account of everything that we need but I will probably have to remove some discontinued items by the time the wedding rolls around.

Yes, I know it's not proper etiquette to notify guests of the registry, and I give myself a slap on the wrist for it because it's my personal opinion that it's not appropriate. But my mother is a big part of the wedding planning and she insists that it's not rude to do so. I've told her that etiquette dictates guests should only be notified by word of mouth. I know it's my wedding, but I'm picking my battles and honestly in this day and age I think it's a minor detail. I agree, it seems a little tacky, but honestly I've never been invited to a wedding where there wasn't an additional insert in the invitation notifying me of where the couple is registered. Looking at this situation as a guest, I was not offended by it at all. It was convenient to know where they were registered and I know they didn't intend to be rude or caddy by including it. I don't know if it's a regional thing but in my area I don't think people are aware that including that information with the invitation is not traditional. It seems that most people in my neck of the woods expect it so I'm just going to go with the flow.

I had posted a question previously about the registry, asking whether or not I need to limit the price of a registry item. Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever received any flack for adding an 'expensive' item to a registry? My fiance' said he doesn't want people to think that we're snobs because we have some classy items on our wish list. What I feel is moderately priced I'm being told by others is expensive. I'm trying to be accomodating of everyone's budget and some of the higher priced items I honestly don't expect to get as gifts. It's just one of those 'fingers crossed' things (come onnnnn stainless steel trash can). Does anyone have any words of wisdom for wedding registry creation or had any past experiences with seeing a guest's perception of your taste change after they viewed your registry?

Thanks!

-Melanie

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 4:06 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

If you really want to do it now, I don't think it's ridiculously early to start - as long as you're aware that things will be discontinued and that you'll have to change things. Personally, that would drive me insane, so I wouldn't do it - but if you like shopping and don't mind keeping an eye on it for 9 months and changing things as needed, go for it.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 7:38 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

Dear Orbital,

You really should have a variety of gifts of a variety of prices on your registry. When I was in college, $20 would have been a huge amount of money for me to spend on a wedding gift. Now, I wouldn't spend any less than $100, or $200 for someone in my family.

Don't worry about putting "some" expensive things on the registry. People often go in together to get a really nice group gift.

The "traditional" registry, of long ago, accomplished exactly that. The traditional registry was only the couple's choice of china and silverware. The goal was to get a full set of beautiful china and silver, all matching.

A budget-minded guest could buy a single fork, for example, but a deep-pocketed generous guest could buy multiple whole place settings.

Posted: Jun 7, 2010 10:25 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thanks for the advice, aunt. I only have a few 'expensive' items on the list and have tried to accomodate everyone's budget by starting with small items in the $10 range and going up from there. I don't have anything on the registry that excedes $100 and I thought that seemed reasonable for a max price. I definitely feel that you get what you pay for and since we have been living together for a few years this registry is helping us upgrade some of our existing items.

ReneeCol30 Posts : 1 Registered: 6/8/10
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

My fiance and I are not getting married until next summer but we plan on registering at williams sonoma and myregistry.com and creating our registry two months before the wedding which should give us enough time to research the best cookware products (also including some small camping gear items) to make sure products are not out of stock. Makes it easier for us AND our guests. I think 2 months is fine. Three is very organized but I have a feeling we'll be more towards the 2 month range :)

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

We started registering in March (7mths ahead), but didn't actually finish until late May when we were forced to (bridesmaids were sending our shower invitations and wanted to include info on where we're registered). It's actually not nearly as fun as you'd probaby think IMO. It's sort of like the guest list...in theory it should be fun inviting all of your friends and family to your party, but the reality can be demanding. Similarly, with the registry, I found that the concept was great (I get to make a list of stuff that people might buy for me! great!), but the execution was often painful. Worrying about what items we might want/need now and in years to come, worrying about getting a variety of prices, worrying that we'd do all this work and people wouldn't even bother using the registry...Etc etc. I honestly didn't want to bother after the second trip.

One thing I do think is positive about starting early is that you can take your time building your registry.

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

ElleNChuck Posts : 50 Registered: 6/10/10
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 10:04 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

The only problem, as previous posters have mentioned is that a lot of things get discontinued rather quickly. I'm making lists, but nothing official yet.

I'm secretly looking forward to going nuts in Bed Bath and Beyond with one of those little scanner doohickeys! Hehehehe. I can't wait. Really, I can't. I look at it this way, I've gone to about 25 weddings and been a BM or MOH in 12 of them. It's MY turn to get some damn presents! Yeah, I know, that sounds totally selfish and greedy doesn't it? But I've bought more towels and plates and forks than I've used in my entire life! So yeah, I'm pretty excited about it. Plus, it would be nice if FH and I had a set of matching sheets.

*I feel like I should add this disclaimer... Of course I'm not getting married just to get presents! I would still throw a huge party for all my nearest and dearest to celelbrate with me and FH even if I didn't get one single gift.

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 11:42 PM Go to message in response to: ElleNChuck

Dear Elle,

"It's MY turn to get some damn presents! Yeah, I know, that sounds totally selfish and greedy doesn't it?"

Have we had that little chat about Private Thoughts vs Public Expression?

You can be as selfish and greedy as you like in the privacy of your own mind. ("I want it all, ALL, ALL! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!")

Your Public Expression should be surprised delight that anyone would get a present for little old you. ("For me? Oh, how very kind of you.")

CapeTownBride Posts : 37 Registered: 4/16/10
Posted: Jun 12, 2010 2:57 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

AuntoftheBride, every time I read one of your posts I start giggling!

Then I surreptitiously look around to make sure no one saw me. Then I start wondering (anew) whether my stepmom has a long lost twin sister she never told me about, or if maybe she has a secret online persona...

You are so much like her, it's actually quite scary!

(In a good way, of course!)

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45686.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine