Bouquet Toss and Garter Throw Etiquette?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

TheUpbeatBride Posts : 3 Registered: 6/11/10
Bouquet Toss and Garter Throw Etiquette?
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 10:05 AM

We're having an 80-90 guest wedding, and many of our guests are already married or engaged. How many people are necessary to have a bouquet toss or garter throw? We will have about 8 unmarried girls and 9 unmarried guys. Is this enough to participate? And do people participate if they are divorced or engaged? What are the unspoken rules for the toss and throw?

-UpbeatBride.blogspot.com

"I would have missed you even if I'd never met you."

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Bouquet Toss and Garter Throw Etiquette?
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 11:26 AM Go to message in response to: TheUpbeatBride

That sounds like enough people to me, but remember that not everyone will want to participate. And PLEASE don't drag people out to participate if they don't want to. I HATED the bouquet toss at weddings and usually hid when I knew it was coming. I've had BMs drag me out of the bathroom to participate, and was not happy about that!

I don't know of any rules about who participates - I think it's up to the person in question. If a divorced person wanted to participate, I wouldn't tell them they couldn't - but if you're worried about numbers, I probably wouldn't count on them participating. As for engaged people, I went to a wedding a few months ago with a large group of friends, including three engaged couples. One of the engaged girls had looked it up beforehand and read somewhere that engaged people count as unmarried for purposes of the bouquet/garter toss. So in that case, the engaged women all participated in the bouquet toss, though I don't think any of their FH's participated in the garter toss, as they didn't want to. Personally, I did not participate in bouquet tosses while engaged - I was glad of the excuse, and that nobody knew whether they should drag me or not.

If you really want to do it, do it. You can technically have a bouquet and garter toss as long as there is one person willing to participate in each. But if you're on the fence about it, I would bring up the idea in casual conversation with your unmarried friends and see how they feel about it. If you have willing participants, go ahead and plan on doing it - if not, then it might be best to skip it.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

August28th Posts : 153 Registered: 1/28/09
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 11:41 AM Go to message in response to: TheUpbeatBride

I personally liked the bouquet toss when I was single. It gave me a chance to be somewhat competitive and it was just a fun little tradition. I caught 4 bouquets from the time I was 12-18 and it made me feel like I was kindof a special part of the reception even though I wasn't in the weddings. Maybe it was silly, but I was a kid. I think 8-9 is a fine number, but I agree w/ a PP you should talk to your single friends, if they don't feel comfortable or would feel on display then you can choose not to have one. I think I had that number when I threw the bouquet and DH only had about 5 guys for the garter.

True love is like a ghost which many talk about but few have ever seen.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 12:13 PM Go to message in response to: TheUpbeatBride

Dear UB,

The only real "etiquette" is the common courtesy of not making people participate if they don't want to participate. No dragging people out on the floor against their will.

Just announce "Hey, everyone, the bride will toss her bouquet!"

Those who want to participate, will. Those who don't, won't.

" And do people participate if they are divorced or engaged? "

If they want to, great. If not, they don't. It's the person's individual choice.

"What are the unspoken rules for the toss and throw? "

Just keep it fun and lighthearted.

ElleNChuck Posts : 50 Registered: 6/10/10
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: TheUpbeatBride

I for one hate the boquet toss thing. I only did it if I was REALLY good friends with the bride and she was desperate for the single girlfriends pile-up pictures. And whatever you do DO NOT let the DJ play "Single Ladies" during the bouquet toss. That's just mean! LOL.

Anyway, I think it's fine if you only have a couple girls and guys but please don't force anyone!

TheUpbeatBride Posts : 3 Registered: 6/11/10
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: TheUpbeatBride

Great advice everyone! THANKS!!

-UpbeatBride.blogspot.com

"I would have missed you even if I'd never met you."

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine