Silk Flowers, Anyone?

Online Users: 1,258 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 16

NissySokol Posts : 22 Registered: 12/23/09
Silk Flowers, Anyone?
Posted: May 25, 2010 8:13 PM

I am planning a very small wedding, 30 guests max, so i decided to use silk flowers. for my bouquet, and all my flower arrangements, pews, etc i paid around $450 and they will ship tomorrow. I chose silk flowers because they last longer, are more versatile, and cheaper than real flowers, my fiance and i are on a very tight butdget. i want to be able to show my flower bouquet 20 years from now to my kids, instead of just showing pictures.
I was wondering has anyone else considered silk flowers?

These are some examples of how beautiful silk flowers can be:
(btw these arrangements were made by the same person thats doing mine)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wedding Tickers

Future Mrs. Sokol

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Re: Silk Flowers, Anyone?
Posted: May 26, 2010 10:36 AM Go to message in response to: NissySokol

Those are beautiful arrangements!

I'm using a combo of real and silk. Real flowers for the bouquets, and silk flowers for the submerged centrepieces. To me flowers aren't high of my list of priorities, so they're an area where I'm definitely willing to go with the lower cost option!

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: May 26, 2010 12:34 PM Go to message in response to: NissySokol

I saw a video on you tube yesterday on how to make roses out of ribbon. Here are my first attempts. I think I might do this for my flowers when I get married. I'm going to get more supplies today and try and make a bouquet. I'll post more pictures if they turn out.

Sorry for the poor photo quality as these pictures were from my phone. - If you click on the picture it should bring you to my facebook page where you can see the full pictures.

turtle2 Posts : 56 Registered: 11/3/09
Posted: May 26, 2010 12:57 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

those look really pretty! whats the name of the youtube video? or better where can i buy some?

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: May 26, 2010 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: turtle2

You can buy ones on ebay - just look up ribbon roses, mostly they are made in china as it's a form of oragami. Once I got the hang of it I could make each one in about 10 minutes and it took about 3 feet of ribbon. Wired ribbon seemed to work best as it keeps from unravelling.

This is the video I watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSafZ2Se6bM

Posted: May 26, 2010 7:10 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

you did a very good job for your first try. i tried making flowers like that with ribbons a while back and they didnt even come close to looking like roses lol
Future Mrs. Sokol

Auciello Posts : 1 Registered: 12/13/09
Posted: May 26, 2010 8:17 PM Go to message in response to: NissySokol

Where do you find silk flowers like that? I am also on a strict budget and all the flowers I have found have been either too expensive or too cheep looking... How did you find such great looking silk flowers for so little?

Posted: May 26, 2010 9:42 PM Go to message in response to: Auciello

i got mine from ebay. My package is 41 pieces total and this is what im getting:
1 Bride's round bouquet (11-12" round) all red with white baby's breaths and just a little bit of green leaves
1 Maid of honor bouquet ( 9-10" round) red and white
1 Groom's boutonniere (1 white rosebud, red and white accent flowers, ivy leaf, red and white organza bows)
1 other boutonniere (1 red rosebud, green leaves, white accent flowers)
4 mothers corsages (2 rosebuds in red and white, 1 mini rose, accent flowers, ivy and green leaves, pearl sprays and organza bows)
3 father corsages (2 rosebuds in white, 1 mini rose, Red accent flowers, ivy and green leaves, pearl sprays and organza bows)
12 white pew bows with red roses, white accents and pearl sprays
6 silver Cup centerpieces 9" tall (red and white roses and accents, red organza bow)
2 swags 21" long (red and white roses and accents)
4 garlands 6' long (red and white roses and accents)
2 tall-silver arrangements 17" wide by 25" tall (red and white roses and accents, red organza bow)
4 bags of 100 red and white petals

here's the link to the seller:
http://stores.ebay.com/Yesss-i-do-weddings?_rdc=1
The price depends on the pieces you choose and the styles.
She does a lot of custom packages so if there's something specific you need you can always ask her, and she has a lot of styles to choose from. her name is Mally.
I haven't received my package yet, its supposed to arrive on June 2nd so i'll let you know how it looks :) i can't wait!
Future Mrs. Sokol

MikaylaK Posts : 53 Registered: 5/23/10
Posted: May 27, 2010 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: NissySokol

It looks like a beautiful idea! I like the whole part where you can show your bouquet to your children later on and all. Added sentimental value. Just find out how to keep them clean/dust free :)

And also thanks to the PP for the youtube link. I should give it a try :D yours came out beautifully!

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: NissySokol

Nissy, did you get your flowers? How did they turn out?

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Posted: Jun 9, 2010 2:49 AM Go to message in response to: NissySokol

Nissy, I still have mine from our wedding 14yrs ago. I have it displayed in the house so people see it. It is nice to have it and know that it will always look good. I am thinking about how I will be able to wok it into our vow renewal.

pb1119 Posts : 36 Registered: 11/19/07
Posted: Jun 9, 2010 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: chris42005

Hi!!! I also used silks from ebay from Mally! I loved mine. You can see a few pictures in my photo album from my wedding day. More here: http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding/UserViewPhotoAlbum?wid=2ba956318231d3a9

And these might be my 2 favorite pics of my bouquet: http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding/UserViewPhotoAlbum?wid=2ba956318231d3a9&photoPage=5

http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding/UserViewPhotoAlbum?wid=2ba956318231d3a9&photoPage=5

I tweaked mine a bit after I got them...I wrapped the rest of my handle completely in ivory ribbon and added a brooch, and wrapped my girls handles in navy ribbon to match their dresses. I also added more fall leaves and some berries to the girls bouquets, and berries to the bouts. I also changed the vase arragements she gave me and put them into craft pumpkins and fall baskets, I didn't like the silver vases the arrangements came in. But she really did 90% of the work and she was easy to work with and I loved everything. When I bought my bouquets from Mally (I bought them fall of 2008) she wasn't offering the really cute handles and ribbons she offers now, she wrapped them all in ivory back then (which is why I did some work to mine). I check her site out every now and then to see if she's offering anything new, and her stuff keeps getting better.

I paid about $550 total for all of my flowers. I had my bouquet, 7 bridesmaids bouquets, groom bout, 8 groomsman bouts, 3 father bouts, 2 ring bearer bouts, 4 church arrangements, 2 garlands, 2 swags for sweetheart table, 16 pew bows, 3 mother wrist corsages, and I also bought some extras from her like a couple bushes of extra flowers and a few extra decoration bouquets. If I had gotten all that fresh from a florist all this would have been waaayyy more expensive.

I think fresh flowers for a wedding are the biggest waste of money, they wilt by the end of the day usually and after pictures are over no one pays attention to them anyway. They are completely dead within days. My flowers look real in my pictures; I even had friends who are getting married soon on facebook asking me who my florist was. My bouquet is in my living room curio cabinet on display with my ring bearer pillow, cake topper, and other momentos, and I will have it forever, and I love that.

wedding countdown

Edited by: pangiebear1119 on Jun 9, 2010 5:47 PM

Posted: Jun 9, 2010 10:23 PM Go to message in response to: Agape14

Oh i am so sorry everyone. i forgot to come back here to tell everyone how my flowers turned out.
As of now i only have one pic of my bouquet that i took with my cell so sorry about the quality. i'll come back with more. right now my flowers are in the box.
Photobucket

my bouquet is the only one with all red roses, everything else is red and white roses.

I am so glad i found mally, she did an excellent job, im thinking maybe i'll change the silver bases for something else but im reusing the bows that came with them.

BTW pangiebear1119, your flowers do look beautiful! i cant wait for my big day so i cant use my flowers.
Future Mrs. Sokol

Edited by: Nissycakes on Jun 9, 2010 10:27 PM

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: NissySokol

Ok i finally got better pics of the flowers, better than my cell but my camera sucks since ive dropped it so many times lol. overall i am please. i wanted to be a DIY bride but mally did a better job haha
here's my bouquet, i added the little locket, it has a picture of my father:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
one of my 6 little cup centerpieces, i think im gonna change the bases tho, theyre plastic and i dont like them too much but we'll see:
here's one of my pews, that pic isnt that great, im also suppsed to hang them up so they dont get wrinkled but i dont have room to hand up 12 pews in this tiny apartment:
heres one of my two big arrangements, its a little flat from being in the box, i should take all of this out but i have no room to put it ><
boutonnières
My MOH bouquet which i wont need anymore because she dropped out of the wedding 25 days before the big day ='[

those are the main things.
Future Mrs. Sokol

pb1119 Posts : 36 Registered: 11/19/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: NissySokol

Nissy,
They look really great! I didn't get centerpieces from Mally but I did get the large arrangements for church from her in the silver vases. I didn't like the vases either. Because I had a fall wedding I used rustic looking fall baskets and pumpkins instead. I sort of had to rearrange the flowers when I took them out of the big silver vases, but it wasn't hard. I'm guessing the centerpieces are little bouquets though, so they shouldn't need to be arranged again.
I loooove that you added the locket to your bouquet handle. It looks fabulous!
You can put that maid of honor bouquet in a vase somewhere for decor at the wedding! Don't let it go to waste! Go to your local craft store, you can get pretty glass vases pretty inexpensive.
Don't worry about not hanging the pew bows...I didn't hang mine...and I had my flowers a whole year before my wedding! I did uncurl the ribbons and lay them all down, but I piled them on top of each other in the spare bedroom. They were fine the day of the wedding. Does she still use the pipecleaners on the backs? Make sure you can hang them that way from your church pews. The pipecleaners didn't work for the pews in my church, so we had to tie them to the pews with ribbon instead...
wedding countdown

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine