Alcohol

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

WhiteEagleSenef... Posts : 3 Registered: 6/6/10
Alcohol
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 12:05 PM

My boyfriend and I will both still be 20 when we have our wedding. We do drink, but when we'll be around our families, should we not? Most of our guests will be 21 or older, so would it be alright to participate, or should we just have like sparkling cider instead of champagne or wine?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Alcohol
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: WhiteEagleSenef...

Dear WE,

I'm biased, as I never drink alcohol and I am 56.

My suggestion: Drink what you want to drink, within reason. If you don't feel like drinking alcohol, then don't.

I go to parties all the time where people around me are drinking alcohol, in moderation. Doesn't bother me that they are drinking. Doesn't bother them that I am not.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 12:14 PM Go to message in response to: WhiteEagleSenef...

I think that's up to your venue or caterer. Most places will not serve underage guests, though they may look the other way if it's the bride and groom. I would probably just not mention your ages. I've never heard of a bride or groom being carded at their own wedding - and truth be told, if I had been, someone would have had to go on a wild goose chase to find my ID because it never occured to me to bring it with me.

As for your families, unless they are very uptight, I wouldn't think anything of it. Go ahead and have a glass of champagne or two, but I'd probably avoid getting drunk. My sister was 15 at my wedding and had a glass of champagne and a glass of wine. I don't know if the venue looked the other way, as she was the MOH, or if they thought she was old enough. She does look older than she is, especially when dressed up.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

CapeTownBride Posts : 37 Registered: 4/16/10
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: WhiteEagleSenef...

If you're mature enough to get married, surely you're mature enough to drink in front of your families?

If you feel uncomfortable with consuming alcohol in front of your families, perhaps you need to evaluate whether you're mature enough to marry.

Just my $0.02...

WhiteEagleSenef... Posts : 3 Registered: 6/6/10
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

My family is fairly religious though his is not. My family already disagrees with a number of things, like the fact that we live together. I am just having trouble deciding whether this day should just be for us, or if I should respect my family in aspects such as this.

KCI Posts : 150 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: WhiteEagleSenef...

I agree with PP that if you're mature enough to get married, you should be able to celebrate the moment with some champagne, or wine, or whatever (not that you need to drink to have a good time). At the same time, be prepared to not be able to drink if your ages get to the bartender/cater/reception location managers. Whether or not your the bride and groom, it is still illegal for them to serve you alcohol. While I agree the bar servers may not even consider asking for ID from the bride and groom, they can't legally serve you if they find out your under 21.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: WhiteEagleSenef...

Well Art had a good point that most people didn't pick up on - you legally can't drink in the US if you are not 21. Most venues will NOT serve you if you are not 21. I had to card soemone the other day when I was working a wedding.

So there is that aspect of it. Whether or not you chose to have alcohol at your wedding - that's a touchy subject and you just have to decide what would work best for your guests.

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 1:49 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

You should come have a destination wedding in canada, our drinking ages are 18 and 19 depending on what province you visit.

ElleNChuck Posts : 50 Registered: 6/10/10
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: WhiteEagleSenef...

I took a poll of all my married girlfriends and most told me they never had time to have more than a sip or two of wine here and there at their receptions. All that mingling and stuff. If you want a sip or two and no one pushes the ID issue I say go for it, except that it's illegal, so don't get smashed. And don't drive. Though since it's your reception you probably won't. So that's my advice... drink but don't drive :)

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

It depends what state you are in. Some will allow children to consume if parents provide. Others will not. CO is one that will not.

However, in WI this was not an issue, and we allowed my son and daughter each to have one drink at my other daughter's wedding. We got it, and let them drink it while sitting at our table. I don't know if this is still necessarily the law, but the bartenders didn't say anything.

Honestly, if you are getting married then you are making decisions like this on your own as adults rather than choosing what your parents would want. THis is only one of many such decisions you need to be prepared and mature enough to make as adults.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 4:34 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

I didn't know that Cyndi, so thanks for the info. But when I looked it up (this is from 2008) Idaho is a state in which consumption is prohibited - http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/legaldrinkingage.html

Now this may be out of date, but I think the OP needs to be informed as I know that I wouldn't serve her if I was bartending an event, even if it was her wedding - I'm not going to be prosecuted or have the people I work for lose their license.

Now, if someone else got the drink and gave it to her, I wouldn't know, but there could still be legal ramifications.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Pharm, I would guess Idaho is FAR stricter than WI. WI use to let spouses drink if one was of age, now I think it's just if parents give them something. But it's a huge drinking state, and I would guarantee Idaho is not at all the same.

Yes, people can and do get and give to the underage person, but the liquor license holder can STILL get in trouble. Use to work the liquor licensing board hearing here in CO.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine