Wedding Venue Vent

Online Users: 1,308 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

CapeTownBride Posts : 37 Registered: 4/16/10
Wedding Venue Vent
Posted: Jun 9, 2010 11:22 AM

Ok, so I don't have the ring yet, but we've been getting serious, he asked me, we discussed it, I said yes, so we consider ourselves engaged. The fact that I don't yet have the ring is merely a consequence of our living in a teeny tiny town without a decent jewellery store.

And I'm incredibly fussy and want something a bit nicer than what is on offer in the slightly bigger town an hour and a half away.

Anywhoo, rant over. That rant, at least.

I've been looking at wedding venues and I just can't find anything that is decently priced within 1 hour of where we live! Why on earth do people want to charge a ridiculous amount of money for what is essentially dinner for 40 people?!

It's as if they hear "wedding" and just double their prices!

Sorry. Rant over.

I can't rant to my friends because they reckon one isn't engaged until he spends money on a ring.

Hmmmmm... I guess this rant was about more than just a wedding venue after all.

Lovetolaugh06 Posts : 11 Registered: 6/6/10
Re: Wedding Venue Vent
Posted: Jun 9, 2010 10:25 PM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

Your fiance may have other options besides going to a jewelry store that does not have the best selection. My boyfriend (soon to be fiance!!!) was looking at a website called Blue Nile. They are highly recommended as an online jewelry store, and they are connected as a great/reputable business with the BBB (better business bureau). They have been in lots of well known magazines as well, and believe it or not, their prices are very reasonable because they do not have to pay for stores since they are an online company. They have customer reviews on most of their engagement rings, as well as letting your fiance choose the type of diamond, the setting, and the quality of the diamond (if you decide to get a diamond engagement ring). All of the diamonds are certified as well (and I believe they have warranties on the ring, but he will need to check). They will ship the ring to your door via FedEx for free!!!! I would have your fiance check them out...here is the website address:

http://www.bluenile.com/

I hope this helps!
"The human race has only one really effective weapon, and that is laughter." Mark Twain

usfbeachbum Posts : 27 Registered: 6/6/10
Posted: Jun 9, 2010 11:32 PM Go to message in response to: Lovetolaugh06

My husband got my ring from Blue Nile as well. I got the ring looked
at...not appraised. And the lady was very impressed with the ring quality, she even asked me where it was from. I must say I love it as well, and they have an option of 18k which DH required.

However, I'm not sure about insuring it. Do any of you know?

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 1:44 AM Go to message in response to: usfbeachbum

Thanks for the advice, ladies!

I would love the option of ordering online! I fell in love with several designs at www.briangavindiamonds.com but sadly, I live in South Africa and it's impossibly to insure jewellery deliveries here.

We have looked at a few options locally, but nothing appeals. A very good designer on the other side of the country has something very appealing but we would like to make the purchase in person to avoid the drama of trying to insure a jewellery delivery. I know I would be absolutely distraught if anything happened to my ring before I've even had the chance to wear it!

In the meanwhile, I'll (im)patiently wait until December, when we can travel to that part of the country and view rings in person...

I love everything that sparkles, so naturally I would love to see pictures of your rings. Do you have them posted on this site?

dodgercpkl Posts : 130 Registered: 9/27/09
Posted: Jun 10, 2010 3:15 AM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

Ya know... when Anton proposed, it was spur of the moment, and he didn't have a ring to give me. What I did was pull out a couple of the rings I already had and let him choose one that I could wear as an engagement ring until we'd had time to go ring shopping together for an official one. That worked out nicely for both of us. I had a ring to symbolize our engagement and we had time to look for something we liked.

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 4:36 AM Go to message in response to: dodgercpkl

That's a brilliant idea! So sweet, too! Do you have a picture of your ring? I'm a sparkle nut - would love to see what you have!

I think we'll just order a plain palladium band for now. I'll use that as an engagement ring until we can get my dream sparkly. The funny thing is, after weeks of looking at designs online, I know that what I want is something plain and elegant - a small, dainty solitaire on a plain band. I think it would best suit my lifestyle.

I called my stepmom last night and we had a long conversation. She says I should ignore my "friends" and carry on with my planning. G and I have agreed to get married. We're planning a wedding. Soon we'll have a date. That makes us engaged. So there.

(I nearly stuck my tongue out. Very mature!)

dodgercpkl Posts : 130 Registered: 9/27/09
Posted: Jun 10, 2010 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

"CapeTownBride wrote:That's a brilliant idea! So sweet, too! Do you have a picture of your ring? I'm a sparkle nut - would love to see what you have!"

Thanks! It worked out really nicely for us. I'm a sparkle nut too to a point, but I honestly was more happy that Anton had asked me (I wasn't expecting it yet) then the ring. He mentioned feeling bad that he didn't have a ring for me, so that's why I pulled out the couple of rings that I had with me for him to choose. Our original engagement ring probably cost a whopping $5-10 bucks, and had been made by a former co-worker of mine! lol And tbh? I loved it!

These are the 2 rings he had to choose from:

He chose the 2nd one since he's NOT a big bling person. The 1st was too blingy for him. lol Once we had a chance to shop, we still kept it small, non-blingy, and in the range we could afford at the time. I still love both my e-rings and I wear the official one still (on my other hand though since it doesn't go with my wedding ring) even though I'm now married. Here's a pic of that ring:

And now I'm wearing my wedding band which is blingy enough for me and subtle enough for him and I just adore it!! :D Here's a pic of that:

Best of luck with everything and just remember the most important thing is the man you are marrying and not the size of the bling or even having a ring. Ring or no, you 2 have already made a committment to get married and those friends aren't all that great if they are hassling you over not having one. One of my at the time best friends did about the same to me, and that was a final straw in me realizing that we just really weren't on the same wavelength anymore. She and I are no longer friends. Everyone else in my life was thrilled that I had found the man I wanted to marry regardless of ring.

ElleNChuck Posts : 50 Registered: 6/10/10
Posted: Jun 10, 2010 12:07 PM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

"It's as if they hear "wedding" and just double their prices!"

I'm with ya on that one! Several years ago, when my brother got married, SIL was pricing reception venues and the average price for a wedding reception per person in our area was about 150 per person including food, drink, linens, servers, all that lot... I am my father's child in as much as I love a good bargin, so I called the same venues that she called and asked about pricing for a family reunion. Average price per person including food, drink, linens servers, etc.? About 100 bucks. I wonder why that is?

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 3:01 AM Go to message in response to: ElleNChuck

Beautiful collection of sparklies! Must admit, I like the first and the last one best! I love how you chose something together...

ElleNChuck, I am glad I'm not imagining things! We live in a really small town and there are only 2 hotels and a handful of party venues. I lived here for years when I was younger so I know exactly how much these places usually charge for year end parties and other events... So why do they suddenly want more when they hear wedding?!

Anyway. We're now looking at a morning wedding, instead of evening. Brunch instead of dinner.

How expensive can eggs and toast possibly be?

Edited by: CapeTownBride on Jun 11, 2010 12:18 PM

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 10:15 PM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

I hear ya on the venue vent! I don't know what kinds of things you have there, but maybe you could check out museums, parks (try shelter houses and lodges), conservation centers, etc.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

NoseInTheGrass Posts : 31 Registered: 11/1/09
Posted: Jun 12, 2010 7:20 AM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

My ring came from etsy.com. They have a lot of handmade stuff there and if you find a maker you like, but they don't have a ring that is JUST RIGHT, you can often contact them to make a custom ring for you.

This is my ring:
Green Tourmaline two tone ring 10k and sterling

I didn't want a diamond, but there are plenty of makers who use diamonds there. You just have to look around a bit. Plus, there are plenty of price ranges.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

NoseInTheGrass Posts : 31 Registered: 11/1/09
Posted: Jun 12, 2010 7:22 AM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

Sorry for the double post. I forgot about the venue thing.

I've found that another great way to find venues is to look for caterers. Sometimes, the caterers will have a list of venues they serve at on their website. If you find a caterer you really like, you could just ask them also.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 4:46 PM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45685.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 8:41 PM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45678.html

RSS