DIY Floral arrangements

Online Users: 1,231 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

Chazana Posts : 5 Registered: 5/16/10
DIY Floral arrangements
Posted: May 16, 2010 12:34 AM

My wedding is next june and I love the peony flower. What is the best way to have beautiful floral decor without going broke. I want to use real flowers or at least look really really real : ) How would you go about a DIY project?

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Re: DIY Floral arrangements
Posted: May 17, 2010 3:53 PM Go to message in response to: Chazana

I adore peonies, too, but their season is short and they are expensive. Stretch your dollars by doing an arrangement that uses just a few of the flowers. For example, fill a dramatic glass vase with water, maybe have some crystals at the bottom, float a candle and one gorgeous peony on top. Add sparkle with votives and crystals in smaller containers, if you wish. Scatter petals (use roses for this--much cheaper) if you want more color. For your bouquet, mix peonies with full roses, dahlias, or even carnations in the same color to add bulk with less expense. I can send you some pictures of peonies in mixed bouquets. Just contact me through my website and I'll send some right out to you.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

headoverheels8 Posts : 80 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: May 27, 2010 12:06 AM Go to message in response to: Chazana

I am making my own floral arrangments. I got all of my flowers wholesale from online wholesale dealers and an upscale grocery store like central market. They are very inexpensive comparitively and I will get them 2 days before my wedding. As far as making your own things, look up as many pictures of what you want before hand, buy some cheap fake flowers that are similair to the real ones youll use for your wedding and just play with them. Figure it out by trying again and again with the fake ones. If you don't like what it looks like, take it apart and do something different.

mrsjonstewart Posts : 2 Registered: 2/1/08
Posted: May 30, 2010 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: Chazana

I ordered gerber daisies from samsclub.com for dirt cheap, and we are watching DIY videos on youtube.com to make our bouquets.

mrscreamer2be Posts : 153 Registered: 6/14/09
Posted: May 31, 2010 2:37 AM Go to message in response to: Chazana

We used ranunculus flowers which are a type of peony. I bought 200 flowers for $70 at the flower fields. Yes, it will save you money, but it will also give you a headache. I got married in March, so I didn't have to worry about the flowers wilting in the heat. Even then, they started to wilt, but you couldn't notice in the vases. You also have to assemble everything last minute. I was up at midnight before the wedding making flower arrangements.

I made bouquets as centerpieces and made all the bridesmaids bouquets as well. I used roses to make the boutonnieres. Everything turned out really nice and I received a lot of compliments on the arrangements.

61810bride Posts : 2 Registered: 6/3/10
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 4:32 PM Go to message in response to: Chazana

I LOVE peonies!!

Our centerpieces are fishbowls with glass pebbles and a floating peony. I'm sure the cost would depend on your florist but our quoted us at $6.50 per peony. We bough votives in bulk on Amazon (I think it was 100 for like $40?) and will place them on the tables around the fishbowls. We bought turquoise ribbon (one of our colors) and glued it around each votive for extra color on the table.

Completely making my own fresh flower arrangements would send me over the edge, but that's just me!

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: mrscreamer2be

MrsScreamer,

That's my main concern with DIY flowers, being up all night working on them! I'm on a relatively small budget, and I'd rather splurge on entertainment, food/drink etc so I'm doing most of the decorating myself. But for flowers I'm doing a compromise. I've hired someone to do the bouquets, bouts, and corsages, and my family is helping me to do the centrepieces.

To make things simple, I'm using 24" trumpet vases, filling the bottom with rocks, inserting a single flower and submersible lights (NOTE: Lights really make a difference in arrangements and they're pretty inexpensive), and filling the vase with water (well, my wedding planner will be doing the last part at the reception site on the day of). So there's no real flower arranging involved. And I'm also getting my flowers in bulk from either the grocery store or a wholesaler. Both options are MUCH cheaper than a traditional florist.

Good luck DIYers!

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine