Bridesmaid Vocals

Online Users: 1,295 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 2

IHeartMyMarine Posts : 1 Registered: 1/6/10
Bridesmaid Vocals
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 3:01 PM

One of my bridesmaids is very talented and has a beautiful voice and I want her to sing while I walk down the isle.
1) Is that too much for her since she is a bridesmaid?
2) What song should she sing? What song is appropriate for that part of the ceremony?
3) She is Jewish and we are having a Catholic ceremony...is it ok that she sings??

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Bridesmaid Vocals
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: IHeartMyMarine

1) Is that too much for her since she is a bridesmaid?

As long as she's Ok with it, it's fine. It would be considerate of you to limit her other duties so she doesn't get overwhelmed, as she'll have to practice on top of whatever else you want her to do. But ultimately, as long as she's Ok with it, it's not too much.

2) What song should she sing? What song is appropriate for that part of the ceremony?

That's totally up to you, but I would consult your priest and/or the music director at your church, as there will probably be restrictions on the music. If only religious music is allowed, Ave Maria would be beautiful. Or maybe they would have some other nice suggestions.

3) She is Jewish and we are having a Catholic ceremony...is it ok that she sings??

Again, check with the church. I doubt that they would have a problem with her singing even though she is of a different faith, but it's worth asking. If religious music is required, you should make sure she's comfortable singing a Christian song and graciously allow her to back out if she is not.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Bridesmaid Vocals
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 7:41 PM Go to message in response to: IHeartMyMarine

Dear Marine,

Just ask her, first, if she wants to do it, then check with the church as to any restrictions on music. Finally, ask your friend to check with her rabbi to see if there is any guidance or restrictions there.

As far as song suggestions, I have a number of Jewish friends who find "Amazing Grace" to be inspiring. That song transcends religious beliefs and is a real crowd-pleaser.

(I love it.)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine