where do I even start looking for a "nontraditional" dress?

Online Users: 1,331 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

Cricket82 Posts : 4 Registered: 1/21/09
where do I even start looking for a "nontraditional" dress?
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 6:56 PM

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice on where to start looking for a wedding dress... because most websites and stores I've seen/heard of have only traditional, silky, fluffy, sleeveless dresses that I am simply not interested in!

I've even had trouble coming up with words to describe what I want, but here's what I've got so far:

• modest - meaning not low cut (I haven't got the figure for it, and don't like dressing that way anyway.)
  • not sleeveless (I don't care if my shoulders show, but I don't want something that comes up to the chest and stops. I want to be able to breathe.)
  • not fluffy!
  • simple, light and airy. One of my friends said I'm her "elvish" friend; another said, "get something you can twirl in!" I love these ideas, but am at a loss for how to translate them into reality.
  • inexpensive. I've found a few interesting designs online, but of course they're all in the upper hundreds to thousands of dollars range.

Anybody have any hints for where I could realistically get started looking? It's fun to browse online through dresses I could never afford, but one of these days I'm going to have to get down to business. :P Any hints would be greatly appreciated :D

Cricket

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Re: where do I even start looking for a "nontraditional" dress?
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 7:12 PM Go to message in response to: Cricket82

hi cricket! Can you tell us what your budget is? Also, are you looking for something white and long? Do you want any train at all? how long?

Tell us what you think of these:
Sonora Wedding Gown Detail Image$179

Ramona Wedding Gown Detail Image$189

G1018 Wedding Gown Detail Image$179

Pearl Wedding Gown Detail Image$299

$198

Wedding Dress Style 1327$378

Wedding Dresses Style 1137$338

Informal Wedding Dress Style 2543$299

IMG_7120.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08

Edited by: Nalamienea on Jan 31, 2009 7:13 PM

Stephorse Posts : 138 Registered: 1/31/08
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 7:28 PM Go to message in response to: Cricket82

I just googled nontraditional dresses and one of the first websites that came up was the bridal online store .com and they had a modest link on the left that you could click on and there were some that were priced nicely at about $300! I would just google either modest wedding dresses or nontraditional wedding dresses and you might be able to find something.

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 7:32 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Hi Nalamienea! I knew I left out some important details, there :) Thanks for the prompting.

Not entirely sure on the budget yet. I've never spent more than ~$50 on an item of clothing, so first instincts are to say I should be happy with a wedding dress for $100 or so... but, I'd at least be willing to consider dresses up to about $400, say.

And yep, long and white - or perhaps off-white, or ivory... I'm pretty pale with very dark brown hair, so it's hard for me to imagine whether pure white would actually look good on me or not.

Cricket

Edit: ok, I see there was more to your post than I first noticed!
I don't want too much of a train, if any at all. The first picture you posted is one I've tagged - love the floral detail and the shape of the dress, though I'd want the inner layer of the skirt to go to the floor.
#3's fun except I'm not a fan of the sleeves. #5 has made me realize I don't want something silky in that 'reflective' way.

More thoughts to come, but they'll have to wait as I neet to scoot to an activity this evening. Thanks for the help! :)

Edited by: Cricket82 on Jan 31, 2009 7:34 PM

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 8:30 PM Go to message in response to: Cricket82

By 'nontraditional', do you mean 'not strapless or lowcut' or do you REALLY mean nontraditional?

It sounds like you'd like something in a medieval/Renaissance style. There are some GORGEOUS gowns available. Just try googling 'medieval wedding gown'. You'll probably end up spending more than $400, though. Another option is to buy a pattern and have a seamstress make it for you. I'd look into that, as there are many patterns available for that style of gown and you could probably do it for $400. Just make sure your seamstress has experience working with the material you select, as most wedding dress materials are harder to work with than, say, cotton.

Another idea is to look at dresses that are NOT wedding gowns. Look at BM dresses or evening gowns. For modest gowns, you could look at Mormon gowns. Also, you might find something you like if you keep looking at regular wedding gowns (maybe look at gowns for destination weddings, as they usually don't have trains). There are plenty of gowns that aren't low cut, and there are many gowns with straps. Mine was strapless, but not low-cut.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 31, 2009 9:38 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Cassiopeia Posts : 85 Registered: 1/1/09
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 1:39 AM Go to message in response to: Cricket82

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: Cricket82

Keep in mind that if you find a dress that you like but is strapless, you can always add straps or sleeves to it. I know that you can add sleeves to any dress at David's Bridal, and they also have that $99 sale every few months or so. David's also has an online collection with very reasonably priced dresses. Finally, try looking at "destination" lines. Lots of designers are doing those now. They are usually cheaper, and probably more along the lines of what you're looking for.

From Maggie Sottero destinations:

VD9702 Bridal Gown

VD9706 Bridal Gown

From Morie Lee voyage:

http://www.morilee.com/DressDetail.aspx?C=2&D=6205&P=1

Also, I remember someone on here a LONG time ago was posting a site with modest dresses. They're designed for the Mormon church, but I'm sure anyone could order one. It might help you. I think this is the site:

http://www.latterdaybride.com/modest-wedding-dresses.php

Here's a few pictures to give you an idea. The price might be a bit more than you wanted to spend, but if you see something you like, you might be able to find something similar, get it on sale, or have someone make it for you for less.

SerafinaLemaireRosemontMizrahiAvondaleBakersfieldVermontBahamas

picturesofamemory Posts : 30 Registered: 10/2/08
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 12:57 AM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

Was definitely going to say check out Maggie Sottero. This is my dress (but in the Ivory/Mink.) http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?style=A3298 It's very Greecian, very Roman on. I adore it. They have a lot of really outrageously fluffy dresses, but also some more simple and refined ones.

RachelOS Posts : 70 Registered: 9/27/08
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 4:49 PM Go to message in response to: Cricket82

I agree with PP that you could look into getting a white bridesmaid dress-- that's what I'm doing for my reception dress. You can get a really luxurious fabric and it will still probably be $200-$300 (or less!). Watch out though, because some companies will charge you around 20% more just for ordering the dress in white!! I do know that Watters & Watters doesn't do the "bridal charge" thing (that's where mine is from), but I'm sure that a lot of other companies will be the same way. One company that will charge that extra 20%, but that does have some really awsome dresses is Siri (www.SiriInc.com). That's where I got my wedding dress, but it's exactly what I want, so (at least to me) that extra 20% is worth it. Good luck!

[url=http://daisypath.com]imghttp://dw.daisypath.com/OvO4m5/.png[/img][/url]

soulcandy33 Posts : 1 Registered: 2/4/09
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 12:26 AM Go to message in response to: RachelOS

J Crew has beautiful dresses unlike any others I've seen. They add new styles every season so keep checking the website

Posted: May 12, 2010 1:34 AM Go to message in response to: Cricket82

Hey Ladies! Thanks for all your excellent help last year - after a bit of hunting and conceeding to realities, I was able to find a dress that suited me well enough and the wedding was fine and so my husband and I have been happily married for about 9 months now. :)

I hope I do not get in trouble for posting a rather off-topic question in this forum, but it is somewhat related (dresses!!) and I'm getting to the end of my rope with looking on my own...

In the process of getting my wedding dress fitted, I found out that I'm a strange mix of sizes due to not being very curvy, but mainly I'm something like a size zero on top and 2-4 as you go down. :P This, coupled with the fact that at age 28 I'm not so much interested in really short or junior-style dresses, makes it exceedingly difficult to locate dresses that fit. Aside from my wedding dress, I haven't had a cute dress since I was about 10 years old, but I'd love to find something to wear to my husband's aunt's wedding this summer - casual but still dressy enough, at least knee-length, not too revealing, and (this is key) at least somewhat fitted so that I don't just look like a blob!

I've looked at Anthropologie but most of their stuff is too short (and I'd also like to avoid the super-long "maxi" style), and most/many of the other stores I know of are either the same (Ann Taylor Loft, ModCloth, etc) or don't seem to make clothes in sizes below a 4 (JC Penney, Macy's, etc.). Does anybody have any suggestions of where else I can look? Any and all stores that sell a reasonable amount of XS clothing will be gratefully accepted!! :)

corac715 Posts : 29 Registered: 3/28/10
Posted: May 12, 2010 10:48 AM Go to message in response to: Cricket82

I would love to see what you decided to get for a wedding gown.

Posted: May 31, 2010 10:47 PM Go to message in response to: corac715

I ended up going with this one by Alfred Angelo:

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=58ebc5de-3fe5-4f2e-9772-a55f696c0963&categoryID=32e5a88c-cbf1-498f-afcf-dbfca138c5d3&pg=0&colorId1=

Not 100% exactly what I wanted, but it was my favorite of all the ones that were at the stores we visited, and I was satisfied with it. :) Wish I'd had a beach to go along with it, though!

Edited by: Cricket82 on May 31, 2010 10:48 PM

corac715 Posts : 29 Registered: 3/28/10
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 3:56 PM Go to message in response to: Cricket82

It is beautiful! I love the hi-low hem and have thought about it myself, as this will be my second marriage. It will be my bf's first marriage and he would like to see me in a traditional gown. We shall see what I decide to get when the time comes.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine