Summer at the Lake theme ideas needed

Online Users: 1,335 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 5

tropics338 Posts : 4 Registered: 12/27/09
Summer at the Lake theme ideas needed
Posted: May 28, 2010 10:10 PM

my fiance and I are getting married on a lake next july and both love spending time at various lakes in the summer so we wanted to incorporate that as our wedding theme. We are going to have adirondack chairs for place card holders, our save the dates are a canoe at sunset on a lake, and in place of table numbers we are using names of lakes we have been to. The one thing we are stuck on is centerpieces. We were going to try to do something different from flowers to both save some money and have something fun. Any ideas would be appreciated for centerpieces or anything else to do with a lake theme we could tie in.

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Re: Summer at the Lake theme ideas needed
Posted: May 29, 2010 3:06 PM Go to message in response to: tropics338

I can send you pictures of wonderful centerpieces--bark containers, little living trees, camping-type lanterns, rustic/woodsy arrangements. Just contact me through my website and I'll send some right out to you.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

MikaylaK Posts : 53 Registered: 5/23/10
Posted: May 29, 2010 6:59 PM Go to message in response to: myras

I was going to suggest the same, have the centerpieces be made of little boats that hold flowers or something :)

Also, my FSIL had a cake shaped like a boat when she got married :)

tropics338 Posts : 4 Registered: 12/27/09
Posted: May 31, 2010 8:52 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

thank you ladies I appreciate the help

Melanee Posts : 2 Registered: 6/2/10
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: tropics338

What a fun idea.

Melanee Posts : 2 Registered: 6/2/10
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 5:19 PM Go to message in response to: tropics338

I love the idea of giving tree saplings as favors. You could set them at each place setting or in the center of the table and dress them up with rustic planters. They could double as centerpieces and favors. They offer trees that can be grown in each area of the country so you can specialize them for each guest if you have those coming in from out of town. You can purchase them at the Arbor Day Foundation here http://www.arborday.org/shopping/gifttrees/weddings.cfm for $2 or $3 each depending on packaging. Those left behind by guests who don't have anywhere to plant them can be donated.

You could also just have a rustic framed photo of the two of you at each lake and a description of the meaning it had for you, then just dress the table up with a little greenery. Or, another idea I've heard is to have small cakes on each table as centerpieces. You can decorate each one in a way that represents your memories of each location, the trees, the waterfall or the grass/sand/rocks... whatever. Or just have simple fondant with a unique lake themed topper on each. Then what I've heard done is after you and your man cut your cake you have the longest married couple at each table cut into theirs and feed each other (how sweet is that?) and then the caterers slice up each to serve and box the rest to take home as favors. It does triple duty as a centerpiece, cake and favor.

These are just a few ideas I am looking into for our outdoor themed wedding. We are doing different trail names for each table of treks we've hiked together and making them look like trail signs. I hope you find something that works for the two of you.

Good Luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine