So be honest, how long you been waiting for?

Online Users: 1,360 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24

lissagettingmar... Posts : 22 Registered: 5/29/10
Re: So be honest, how long you been waiting for?
Posted: May 29, 2010 2:15 PM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

I can get waiting. While me and my fiance are progressive, I knew that he wanted the experience of picking my ring and proposing to me traditionally, so he did and I waited until he was ready to do that. "Waiting" doesn't mean putting your life on hold and doing nothing else until he did. I went on to graduate school, started my PhD, furthered my career.

I can't really put a number on it...me and my fiance met when I was 14 and he was 15, (I'll be 24 in July) and I knew I was in love with him at 16, and I knew we'd wanted to get married since around 19 or 20, but I can't say I waited with baited breath or anything. I think I started 'waiting' for a proposal for real after he finished tech school and moved to New Jersey, which was in early 2009...so maybe a year? No, not even that long, maybe 6-8 months. We got engaged in February, after he came back from deployment (he bought the ring and planned the engagement in about a week...he was stressed, but he really wanted to do it on Valentine's Day.)

Now we're officially engaged and I'm waiting to begin actually hardcore planning (I mean doing more than fishing for ideas)...we're probably going to have a long engagement.

rebeccab20 Posts : 2 Registered: 5/11/10
Posted: May 30, 2010 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

About two months... BUT, during those two months he's still been paying off the ring. We picked it out together, but had to special order it because I'm allergic to nickel, so I could get palladium. The week after we ordered it he got laid off. :( He's working a temp job now, so we put the ring on layaway and he's been making weekly payments on it. He's doing great with it and I'm so proud of him. Yes, I'm excited and impatient, but he's also working his butt off to pay his bills, support his son, and pay for my ring all at the same time. It will come in time, and in the meantime I can watch the balance left on the ring get smaller and smaller. He promised me he wouldn't sit on the ring after we pick it up, that he'd propose within 24 hours of that time, and I'm holding him to that! So, I have a fairly concrete timeline to go on right now. I love the ring and I love him... it's just so hard to wait, though.

countrygirl11 Posts : 2 Registered: 6/3/10
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

My bf and I have been together for 2.5 yrs. We met in a trigonometry class and we're currently still in college- he's about to turn 26 (because he spent 4 yrs in the military) and I turn 22 later this year. We're graduating around the same time in 2011. He's been talking about marrying me for over a year, but in the last few months he's brought up something every day about proposing, rings, where we want to live when we graduate, etc. He's been dropping hints about my birthday in October too, and I don't want to expect it and possibly be disappointed, but it sure sounds like that's when it will happen!! He's described his plans for my birthday as "life changing." I told him I want to finish school before I get married, and that I want about a year long engagement. So I guess my waiting starts now!!

springorchid Posts : 176 Registered: 4/8/07
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 11:06 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

In short, my FH proposed before I was "waiting". I knew he had the ring, but I didn't think he would propose before we got back from our trip to Europe. I was totally surprised.

And I think guys might occasionaly wait because this is really the one time the guy is expected to plan something out.

Art, MikaylaK, I would be really interested to hear what your dissertations were on. Just a point of interest.

LesAnn Posts : 2 Registered: 6/15/10
Posted: Jun 15, 2010 2:13 AM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

Hmm... Well. We started dating in March 2004. We moved to D.C. after graduation in August (him) and December (me) 2007. At that point I was terrified to move so far away from my family for someone who was a "boyfriend." He assured me I could expect that to change soon and said he didn't want to ruin anything but planned to propose that spring (June 2008). So I've been waiting about two and a half years. Still no ring and another June has gone by.

I know everyone on here probably thinks I'm nuts to continue sticking around but I feel like it would be crazy of me to leave him over this when A) I'm only 24 and most people we know waited until their mid-20s to early-30s to get married and B) our relationship is wonderful in every other way. I know I've wanted to marry him for a long time but always thought if we got engaged soon after college it would give me room for a long engagement. Now I think it'll be a little longer waiting for the ring and a shorter engagement down the road. I'm ok with that.

I know what I want and it's him. At seven years together though (March 2011) I'm just going to start planning the wedding and tell him when to show up. Haha. He can bring a ring with him to the ceremony.

P.S. How come when you sign up for this site you can sign up as "Almost Engaged" but it makes you pick a wedding date? Almost Engaged girls don't have wedding dates. Or most don't yet anyway... Just something that annoys me since my little icon up there says "October bride" on it.

Edited by: LesAnn on Jun 15, 2010 2:14 AM

usfbeachbum Posts : 27 Registered: 6/6/10
Posted: Jun 15, 2010 10:18 AM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

DH bought my ring in 2008, returned it because we started having problems ( i didnt know he bought it until after we were married). He then bought another ring in april 2009, and I was working on some research stuff on his cmputer when he recived a pop-up notification that "jewellery store has shipped our order". I pretended not to see it and didnt check the email. Then a few days later Im at his place again and he recieves the ring in the mail. I asked him what it was just for fun and it took him about 20 seconds too long to answer. I knew it was the ring. I left and it took everything not to mention it to him. But, i could never keep a secret from him so a few days later I questionned him again. It turned out to be a big joke.

I told him if I found the box I would keep the ring. He agreed and in less than a minute i knew where it was. But he didnt give me the ring and made me wait until august 2009. Apparently he had a good ring and another ring. In case he wasnt sure I'd follow him to Cyprus he was going to give me the "other" ring. But he ended up giving me the nice one. LOL. He ended up giving the "other" ring to my MIL, which is another story completely.

I was "waiting" because we had discussed it for about a 1 1/2 years, But desperatly waiting (in the dying to see what it looked like because I KNEW he had the ring, get it over with sort of desperate) for 5 months.

FifiLaLa Posts : 11 Registered: 6/10/10
Posted: Jun 15, 2010 10:28 AM Go to message in response to: usfbeachbum

That's such a funny story, Art! Famous last words for sure. I met my BF when I was 15 (I turned 16 a few weeks later), only because he liked my friend and accompanied us to the movies. We wound up sitting next to each other, and totally hit it off. He was immediately interested in me, but I thought he was just a funny guy (if not obnoxious) and just wanted to be friends. He pursued me for about three months, and I debated whether or not I wanted to "be his girlfriend" or not - he was goofy and a bit sloppy, and what would people think? Then, in August of 2006, my best friend had her Sweet 16 and I was allowed to bring a date. I asked him along, because I figured he would keep me entertained for the night. After I saw how seriously he took "being my date" and how he just wanted to go to keep me company, I decided that I didn't care what people thought and I was going to give him a chance. I introduced him as my boyfriend to my best friend's parents, and we've been together ever since (give or take one or two days of teenage "broken up" drama).

We started looking at rings last month, but as Art said, we have things we want to accomplish first. I don't mind having a pretty long engagement, but I definitely don't want to be married until we both graduate college (I graduate in Spring of 2012, while BF is in a special program and he won't graduate until Spring 2013). I guess I'm "waiting for the ring" now, but I don't think I will get my official proposal for at least another year - but I don't care, I'm just happy being with my goof.
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think."

sweetness07 Posts : 8 Registered: 6/23/10
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 12:07 AM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

Well, me and the bf are untraditional. We have been living together for two years and bought a house a year ago. We always talked about getting married, but it wasn't until the week after my college graduation that we went and picked out rings! He still wants the proposal to be a surprise so the sales lady put them on file until he buys them. So I have been waiting 3 weeks!!! The ring is gorgeous! I just can't wait until it's on my finger =)

Edited by: sweetness07 on Jun 24, 2010 12:30 AM

AAA0811 Posts : 15 Registered: 6/23/10
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 12:12 AM Go to message in response to: HamzicBride

We've known we wanted to get married for almost a year and a half now...as for ring shopping, we didn't have to! I had a necklace that held my grandmother's original engagement diamond...and we decided that when I was ready for him to propose, I'd give him the necklace so that he could have the diamond put in my engagement ring. I gave him the necklace in December lots of tears and high emotions from both of us on that day!, and I've been waiting ever since!

sweetness07 Posts : 8 Registered: 6/23/10
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 12:32 AM Go to message in response to: AAA0811

That is so sweet!
<center><embed xsrc="http://www.widdlytinks.com/tickers/anniversary/anniversaryticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=Our 3rd Year Anniversary!&t2=days until our anniversary!&t3=Today is the day!&bckimg=15&y=2010&m=12&d=9&colorNumber=2&fonttype=Playful" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="300" height="80" name="Anniversary Tickers at WiddlyTinks" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="samedomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed><br><a xhref="http://www.widdlytinks.com/tickers/anniversary/">Anniversary Tickers</a></center>

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine