Honest opinions needed on my invitations!

Online Users: 1,334 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Honest opinions needed on my invitations!
Posted: May 28, 2010 8:19 PM

It's time for me to decide on the invitations. I set my heart on this one that I found on www.magnetstreet.com. It's half fold. I love these invites and they match my theme! However, I need honest opinions on the wording of the invites and if it's silly of me to add a few lines of poetry on the invitation that my FH and I wrote to each other. These lines sound kinda like vows so I figured what a nice personal touch it would be to add these lines in the invitation. I will show you what I mean:

This is the front cover of the half fold invitation. The word Our Path Begins Here is already added by default. I added all the words below that. That's a part of a poem that I wrote to my FH years ago. At the actual wedding ceremony I plan on adding the entire poem in the wedding program.
Clipboard01.jpg picture by Otownsgrl2002

This is the inside of the invite. FH and I are mostly paying for the wedding ourselves so we didn't add any parent's names.

Clipboard013.jpg picture by Otownsgrl2002

This is the back of the invite. Again I added some lines of a poem that my FH wrote to me years ago. I think this poem sounds like vows as well. I also want to add the rest of this poem in the wedding program. I just thought I can give the guests a little poem teaser for now :)
Clipboard012.jpg picture by Otownsgrl2002

So I just want to know does the invitation look silly with our poetry? Does it look funny or weird? I need honest opinions before I actually purchase these. THANKS!

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Honest opinions needed on my invitations!
Posted: May 28, 2010 8:38 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Dear CA,

I think they are beautiful, and I think the poems are wonderful.

A friend of mine, some years back, put similar sentimental poetry on her wedding invitation. I thought it was lovely, then, and still do.

Posted: May 28, 2010 8:44 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Aww I'm so glad you like them! I thought you were going to say they look tacky or something hahaha. It was actually my idea to add poetry :) That's one of the reasons why I like the half fold invite versus the one that don't fold because I get room to add stuff on.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: May 28, 2010 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

The invitation is beautiful.

I think we should all print out a copy and show up at your wedding claiming to be invited guests (lol).

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

MikaylaK Posts : 53 Registered: 5/23/10
Posted: May 28, 2010 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

They are beautiful! And the fact that you added the poem makes them all the more personal, rather than having a generic sentiment put in. Also, having your picture inside looks wonderful.

I haven't seen a wedding invitation written in passive before, but the wording seems fine to me.

Posted: May 28, 2010 10:11 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Dear CA,

To show you HOW MUCH I liked my friend's invitation, I can even remember what it said, 15 years later:

An answered prayer he is to me
My greatest blessing she'll always be

I still get all mooshy when I think of that. My friend kissed a lot of toads before she met her prince.

Posted: May 28, 2010 10:21 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I am so glad that you all like my idea! :)

Aunt that is nice that you still remember those words. How touching.

Posted: May 28, 2010 10:25 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Dear CA,

I'll add this.

Years ago, when I was in junior high, I read a book called "The Man Who Never Was". In short, during WWII, British Intelligence wanted to plant inaccurate documents in the hands of spies working for the Germans. They came up with the idea of causing a dead body to wash up on a shoreline in Spain, where they knew there was an active German agent.

They put a lot of "classified" (but false) documents in the man's briefcase, and dressed him as an Air Force officer. However, the people creating this plan decided they needed to create more of a personality to better fool the German agent.

When would a man carry a bunch of personal papers? When he is newly engaged. Thus, they got one of their female employees to write a bunch of love letters, all hearts and flowers, very mushy, talking about her sparkly ring, how she can't wait to see him, etc. The man had these love letters tucked away in an inside pocket of his uniform.

The German agent swallowed the story, hook line and sinker, and the Germans expected an invasion in Sicily, not Normandy.

What does that mean to you? It means that it is a universal concept that when people are engaged and about to be married, they get all mushy and sentimental. That is the time of life when it is OK to think in terms of love poetry, hearts and flowers. Later on, after you've been married for a while, you will need to keep the PDA to a lower level, but putting love poetry on your wedding invitation is perfectly OK. People will say "Awwwww" and will not think it cheesy.

Put it on invitations to a birthday party 5 years from now, and they'll think "Yech. Get a room.".

Posted: May 28, 2010 11:20 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thanks aunt! :) You're right, I have every right to be mushy and lovey dovey now lol.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: May 29, 2010 3:14 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I like it. I love to see personality in the invites.

This one that was posted on "The Wedinator" today made me tear up, and I don't even know these people...it is SO personal, and such a testament to their love story.

http://www.blueorchidblog.com/2009/09/best-wedding-invitation-ever.html

Don't ever be afraid to put personal touches on your invitations, in your programs, in your ceremony. This is the day you celebrate your love together for the world to see... you get to be the Mushmeister Generals of the day. If people don't sniffle at least once, you didn't do your job :)

Misty

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: May 29, 2010 8:41 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I think it looks great - go for it! It's cute, attractive and personal.

I know you didn't ask for layout advice, but I can't help myself. (Sorry in advance). Are you able to move up the text on the inside of the invitation? Thanks to the leaf at the bottom of the page, I think you could move the text up (maybe to where your name lines up with the top of the photo?) there would be less "white space" (even though it's brown) at the top of the page and that page would look a touch more balanced.

It may not be worth doing and I admit to being really a bit OCD about layout things. I think they look great.

Posted: May 29, 2010 8:48 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

That was such a cute invitation! I loved the story behind it. I am glad she finally moved to NY LOL! Too bad you don't know those people I would have told you to ask them how in the world did they come up with such a good idea :)

FH and I write poetry. But we write poems to one another at times for gifts. Kinda cheesy I know lol, but it's free and it comes from the heart. That is why I figured that having our lyrics in our invitation would be a nice idea. I also thought it would be sweet to have those poems in the wedding program. I figured I would be too nervous to speak those "vows" out so might as well incorporate them somehow in the wedding :) What would be neat is to have ALL of our good poems out for people to see. Hmm maybe I can frame a few of them and have them scattered about at the reception. Like you said, I want people to tear up a bit, that's my goal lol.

Posted: May 29, 2010 8:50 AM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Karebear funny you say that. I am OCD when it comes to that stuff too. Trust me, there was a larger gap there before and I finally fixed it. So the version you see now is actually the best that I can do :) It looked worse before.

MikaylaK Posts : 53 Registered: 5/23/10
Posted: May 29, 2010 12:59 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

In that case, can you put an oak leaf at the top, too? That way there wouldn't be any 'blank' space there, and it would frame it nicely, with oak leaves at the top and bottom.

Posted: Jun 1, 2010 8:49 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

I ordered them last night! I'm so excited! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine