Gift for a mature bride

Online Users: 1,341 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Gift for a mature bride
Posted: May 24, 2010 4:16 PM

My great-aunt is getting married in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering what to get for a wedding gift. She and her FH are 65-ish years old.

I doubt they are registered anywhere and they obviously don't need the "normal" wedding gift items, and cash seems strange for a couple in their situation, so I'm at a loss about what to get.

Any ideas?

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Re: Gift for a mature bride
Posted: May 25, 2010 2:27 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

What do they enjoy? Is there a passion or hobby that you can support (e.g. gardening? cooking?travel?) A friend of mine is an avid gardener,so I got her a gift certificate for a tree to be planted when she and her new husband completed the home that they were building. Most couples enjoy going out--to a favorite restaurant, play, museum, concert, events--so, get tickets, memberships, or subscriptions. You can get deliveries on things like wine, fruit, or flowering plants of the month. Most people need to replace household items, like sheets or towels. Or, get something luxurious that they might not buy for themselves--e.g. a soft, cashmere throw for the bed or couch. The couple are "mature"--they're not dead!! LOL
myra@classysassyweddings.com

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: May 25, 2010 3:06 PM Go to message in response to: myras

Those are exactly the kinds of suggestions I was looking for, I was just having a mental block for some reason! I was talking to my mom and my aunt about it, and they had no clue what to get either... I just think I needed an outside perspective :)

To be honest, I've been to a ton of weddings, but I always just either buy off the registry or write a check. My great-aunt and her fiance are not registered anywhere... I assume because they were each married for a long time before becoming widowed, and each have grown children and grandchildren, so their house is pretty well established with the usual registry items. And it feels strange to me to give them cash... I can't really explain why, but it just seems awkward for some reason. Anyway, I wanted to do something that was more activity based, I just couldn't think of anything specific. Your list is already helping me come up with some ideas!

It's funny, because DH usually prefers gifts that we can do together, rather than "stuff", so you'd think it'd be easy for me to come up with those kinds of ideas. In any case, thanks for the suggestions!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: May 25, 2010 9:57 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

Dear Mrs CP

I'm 56, and the last thing I want anyone to give me is more "stuff". I have tons of stuff. I will go stark raving mad if anyone gives me another knicknack.

What is a great present is something they can eat or drink. They enjoy, then it's gone. Nothing to take up room, nothing to dust, nothing to worry about. A bottle of wine or a box of gourmet chocolates would be great.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine