Invite Question

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

twixy Posts : 3 Registered: 5/22/10
Invite Question
Posted: May 22, 2010 7:06 PM

Hi,

I've allowed a friend to bring a guest to my wedding. She's chosen a mutual acquaintance who is married. I don't know the acquaintances husband. Is it OK to send the acquaintance her own invitation with only her name?

I'm assuming she must have mentioned it to her husband and he's ok with her going with our friend, but I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.

August28th Posts : 153 Registered: 1/28/09
Re: Invite Question
Posted: May 22, 2010 7:51 PM Go to message in response to: twixy

All married couples need to be invited as a couple. Inviting them as a couple you should expect that both will show up and have a meal and seat for them both at the reception. It's kindof a weird situation, but you can make it work. Good luck!

True love is like a ghost which many talk about but few have ever seen.

twixy Posts : 3 Registered: 5/22/10
Posted: May 22, 2010 9:03 PM Go to message in response to: August28th

Would it be OK to only count her as my friend's guest of choosing, and send the friend the invite and have her RSVP for the both of them?
Her and her husband wouldn't have been invited on their own since we are keeping it to family and close friends and under 45 people total and I'd given room for 1 guest for my friend.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: May 22, 2010 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: twixy

Dear TW,

That's why you DON'T allow guests to bring a random guest of their choosing. You are pretty much stuck, now. You are obliged to accommodate two people you barely know at your "small intimate" wedding.

What you should have done, in hindsight, is ask your friend if she is "seeing someone", meaning a boyfriend. Had she indicated a boyfriend, they you would have had the option of inviting him.

Since you left it open to "guest", then she can bring anyone.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: May 23, 2010 11:03 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

AOTB: I disagree.

OP invited friend "and guest". Friend has provided the "and guest's" name, but "And Guest" does not need to personally receive an invitation and "and Guest's" husband does not need an invite.

"And Guest" agreed to come as "and Guest" of friend without her husband. That's between them.

I would not mail "And Guest" her own invitation. I'd let her be the tag along of Friend.

Misty

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 24, 2010 10:23 AM Go to message in response to: twixy

I agree with Cat. Since you gave this friend an open-ended 'and guest', she is free to choose whomever she wants. She chose someone who happens to be married, but she's only been invited to bring ONE guest, not two, so she can't bring her friend's husband. IMO, this isn't your problem and I don't think the 'and guest' needs her own invitation. She's not your guest, after all - she is the guest of a guest. I probably would not send her a separate invitation, but just let her tag along as the invited guest's 'plus one.'

On the other hand, you're only talking about one extra person. Why not include him?

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

tinabny Posts : 2 Registered: 5/21/12
Posted: May 21, 2012 6:48 PM Go to message in response to: twixy

No husband. You gave her a plus 1 and she provided one. You didn't give her a plus 2. It's up to her to explain to her plus 1 that she can come alone or just not at all. Good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine