Cruising to Caribbean & renewing vows on beach.....

Online Users: 1,228 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

MrsDandLovinIt Posts : 1 Registered: 5/21/10
Cruising to Caribbean & renewing vows on beach.....
Posted: May 22, 2010 3:58 PM

My husband and I have been married for 4 years. We never had the opportunity to have a big wedding because we are military. We always knew we wanted to have another wedding. But now we're thinking that we would like to take a cruise to the Caribbean and renew our vows on the beach in St. Lucia (location tentative). Has anyone ever done this before? In our first ceremony we only invited immediate family and a couple of close friends. We originally thought we would want to have a big ceremony later where we invited everyone. Now we just want to do something a little more special with the same crowd from the first ceremony. He and I are both in love with St. Lucia and thought it would be a great idea to take a cruise and renew our vows then. What do you think?

Yes, he is my husband.......but more importantly, he is my best friend and soul mate!  I love him more today than I did yesterday, and I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Cruising to Caribbean & renewing vows on beach.....
Posted: May 23, 2010 7:30 AM Go to message in response to: MrsDandLovinIt

Dear Mrs D,

You and your husband can renew your vows anytime you like. Why do you need an audience?

ElleJay24 Posts : 17 Registered: 1/11/10
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDandLovinIt

I think this is a beautiful idea!! I've never done it before - but I think you'll have an amazing time! It's awesome that you want to celebrate with your loved ones as well!

Good luck!! Keep us posted, I'd love to hear how it turns out!

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDandLovinIt

Okay, I'm with AOTB on this one. You had a wedding with your immediate family. Now you want the exact same thing, only in St. Lucia. If you want to organize a family cruise to St. Lucia, organize a family cruise. But if I'm a member of your family, and I've already been to your wedding. . .then I've already been to your wedding.

Otherwise, have a party to celebrate your anniversary right here in the good ole USA and invite all those people you couldn't invite to the wedding.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 4:14 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Even I am with AOTB on this one. If you had said my husband and I got married on base in Guam and now we want to renew our vows with family and friends I would say go for it. But to have had an intimate wedding and now want to do the same thing with the same people not so much. Take a family cruise and enjoy yourselves. If I had attended you wedding I wouldn't want to see you do it again and I am pro vow renewal.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 4:31 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

I also agree with AOTB, Kennys, MsD. I would not want to do it again, and would not want to take a cruise either. Besides, what kind of cruise have you found that allows you to stay on st lucia? We just had to go on one, and we picked one that allowed the longest on shore stays, but even those were not a full day because they make you get back on the stupid ship early afternoon, or at least by 5. If you want to go to the caribbean, go, if you want to do a vow renewal, do it, but just the two of you. I would not want to pay for a vacation to watch your vow renewal, and I wouldn't. I'd take my own vacation. Maybe your family all likes to vacation together and maybe all of you like cruises, if so then do a vacation together. But I know for sure that my DH and I would not go to something like that. But this group of people already attended your wedding.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

ElleJay24 Posts : 17 Registered: 1/11/10
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 7:58 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

So after reading a bunch of posts on this one - I'm like, "what the heck is the problem?!" I re-read the original post and saw my error! I did not realize you had only been married 4 years - for some reason when I read "vow renewal" I inserted "married for 10+ years"

I think that calling it a family cruise and celebrating your anniversary with your loved ones that way might be a bit more tactful - otherwise... a "vow renewal elopment" might be more appropriate?

Etta Alpha

http://philospouse.blogspot.com/

wdubin Posts : 49 Registered: 4/27/08
Posted: Jun 1, 2010 10:11 PM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

I think if you and your husband want to renew your vows in St. Lucia you should do it. If you think your family would like to be there, invite them. Just don't be upset if some decline because they don't want to go all the way to the Caribbean to see you do it. I'm sure it will be beautiful even if it is just the two of you.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 2:50 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDandLovinIt

If you guys want to renew your vows on the beach in St Lucia, then it sounds like a great idea. If your family is willing and able to travel to St Lucia with you, then I'm sure they'd love to see you renew your vows.

My problem with the whole thing is from the perspective of a family member. Personally, I'm not a big fan of vacationing with family as an adult. Vacations are expensive and we only get a certain amount of vacation time every year. If I'm going to shell out my hard-earned money and use some of my precious vacation time for a trip, I like to be able to choose our own destination, choose dates that are convenient for us, and plan according to our own budget rather than someone else's. It certainly sucks to be pressured into spending more than you'd like on a vacation because you have to stay in the same resort as the rest of your family - and on the other end of the spectrum, if you have cash and very little vacation time, it sucks to be have to spend your rare vacation time stuck in a budget hotel because it fits everybody else's budget.

So, my opinion on your idea really depends on how you'll handle the whole thing. If you're going to pressure your family members into taking this vacation with you because it's your wedding, then I'd tell you that you already had your day. If, on the other hand, you are laid-back about it and plan to do it regardless of whether anybody comes to witness it, then I think it sounds pretty cool. Here's how I would approach it: I'd let your family members know that you are planning a vacation to St Lucia, that you intend to renew your vows while you're there, and that you'd love their company if they are willing and able to join you. And then see what happens. If you end up going alone, it will still be nice - and if a few people can join you, even better. Just don't guilt-trip anyone into making the trip if they don't want to, whining that they don't love you enough to come see you get married. They have already witnessed your wedding. This is just a nice bonus for those who can make it, even if it's just you.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

chris42005 Posts : 89 Registered: 4/6/10
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 7:36 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDandLovinIt

If your heart is set on a vow renewal, than wait till 10 yrs. My hubby and I are currently trying to decide exactly how we wnt to do a vow renewal on our 20th, cruise or wedding and then we leave for a cruise. It was suppose to go along with his retirement from the military but that might not happen at that time now.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 24, 2012 2:02 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDandLovinIt

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 1863 is just $439.99.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine