MOH Dress For Busty Gal

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

Orbital199 Posts : 92 Registered: 10/12/09
MOH Dress For Busty Gal
Posted: May 17, 2010 4:03 PM

Do you think this dress would be appropriate for a busty girl? I want to make sure it would be comfortable, flattering, and supportive at the same time.

http://www.bestbridalprices.com/alfred-angelo-bridesmaid-dresses-style-7016s-p-58754.html?cPath=3&designers=4

Thanks.

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Re: MOH Dress For Busty Gal
Posted: May 17, 2010 4:30 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

It depends on how busty. I am a 30 G so I have a hard time with anything that has what I call 'boob pockets', that is, a space designated for the boobs to go. Her's may fit in that area or they may not. If the don't she will wither get quadra boob (where the line cuts your boobs in the middle so you have four boobs) or she will spill over. However, thick straps are def the way to go.
wedding tickers

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: May 17, 2010 4:31 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

I'm not busty, but I'm guessing that dress might be a bit revealing for someone who is. I don't know though.

I would strongly suggest having her try it on, or other styles also. What about halter? I know my SIL wears a lot of halter styles, and she is definitely busty.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

Posted: May 17, 2010 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

I originaly wanted to get her a halter top dress similar to (or exactly like) the dress in the link below.

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/pub/weddings/2010_gown_gallery_fall//wd_fall10_ams_1077_xl.jpg

But I haven't been able to find one similar in a ready to wear fashion. :(
Which is a real bummer because I love this look and the color is perfect.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: May 17, 2010 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

What about hiring a seamstress to make one?

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: May 17, 2010 9:17 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

If she's very busty, it's a good idea to choose a style that will allow her to wear a supportive bra, rather than a strapless, spaghetti strap, or other too-revealing style. V-necklines, surplice, and halters work well. So does a sweetheart or scoop neck, as long as it's not too low. Avoid anything that pulls straight across the chest (the uni-boob look), is too high-necked, or adds inches (heavy draping, ruffles).
myra@classysassyweddings.com

Posted: May 18, 2010 8:38 AM Go to message in response to: myras

Good idea. I didn't even think about accomodating the bra. I'll stay away from the uniboob look too.

I thought about making her a dress myself since my mom just gave me a beautiful metal sewing machine but it would be very time consuming and as she lives on the other side of the state fittings would be a bit more difficult.

corac715 Posts : 29 Registered: 3/28/10
Posted: May 18, 2010 2:09 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

As a busty girl myself....I say...halters are not easy to wear. It is hard to have the "weight" of my boobs supported by a halter bra. The weight hurts my neck. Boning in the dress will help. You don't want her ending up with an aching neck and upper back.

Posted: May 18, 2010 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: corac715

What about telling her the color and letting her pick a dress she feels comfortable in?
wedding tickers

time94am Posts : 42 Registered: 5/16/10
Posted: May 18, 2010 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: starfish701

Dear Starfish,

I think that sounds like a good idea, but before she buys anything, I'd ask her to show you for final approval, just so you can see that the style fits in with what you have planned.

Posted: May 18, 2010 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: time94am

My girls got thier dresses from www.ariadress.com. I gave them the color and let them choose which ever they wanted. They all got dresses they where comfortable in and they looked great!
wedding tickers

Nmahoney82 Posts : 23 Registered: 5/19/10
Posted: May 19, 2010 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

Is she also a bigger girl? Reason why I ask is my MOH is a bit round and is quite busty! I'm putting her in a halter top cotton (Late July wedding, so i want my girls to feel comfortable) tea length dress with no designated waist line.

Hopefully that helps??

Posted: May 24, 2010 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: Nmahoney82

She's not round, more like a tall sexy amazon woman lol. She's got great measurements. The woman at the bridal shop advised me against halter tops. As mentioned by a previous poster, she said that it can cause some neck pain if you've got a lot to hold up, but I'm sure your girls will be fine in halters ( no pun intended ). I was looking through a few catalogs and found one that I really like. I just hope she's as crazy about it as I am. It's very grecian looking and if she gets it at knee length she can wear it to more places than just my wedding.

Rin2313 Posts : 15 Registered: 5/3/10
Posted: May 24, 2010 9:39 PM Go to message in response to: Orbital199

Please, please, please choose a style that will allow her to wear a real bra if she is real busty. I was maid of honor at my sister's wedding two years ago and she chose a style that allowd me to wear an actual bra with good, sturdy, thick straps. I was so much more comfortable and was able to dance the night away without being self-conscious or in pain.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: May 25, 2010 12:09 AM Go to message in response to: Rin2313

Well, I often get better support from a long line bra vs a real bra - it realy just depends. (Course my steel boned corsets/bodices for Ren Faire give me the most support - LOL)

Anyways, I'm a busty girl who's also not fond of a halter top. I thought that that's what I 'd get for my wedding, but every single one was uncomfy and threw my boobs into the spot light - NOT at ALL comfy.

The best way is to let her choose something she's comfy with.

Just my 2 cents.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine