Funny Marriage Advice Stories

Online Users: 1,309 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 8

AyeshaandAndre Posts : 10 Registered: 11/3/09
Funny Marriage Advice Stories
Posted: May 14, 2010 10:36 AM

Hi Ladies,

My FH and I have been talkingnd planning for a while, but we just got engaged on Tuesday. We have a lot of friends and most of them said, "Well FINALLY!" But one, who really likes to hear himself talk decided to give us some advice about our upcoming nuptuals. It was pretty good when he finally got to the point... he said both of you have to keep the attitude that making your marriage work is the most important thing in your life. Which does seem a bit off when you consider that once we have kids they will be the most important thing in life, but you get the idea. I've also heard that if I think planning is a headache now, just wait til we get closer to the date.

Anyway, I was thinking it would be fun to hear different pieces of advice that you all have gotten as you started planning you wedding. Cheers and wishing everyone a happy healthy marraige!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: Funny Marriage Advice Stories
Posted: May 18, 2010 3:04 PM Go to message in response to: AyeshaandAndre

he said both of you have to keep the attitude that making your marriage work is the most important thing in your life. Which does seem a bit off when you consider that once we have kids they will be the most important thing in life, but you get the idea.

Wrong! The marriage IS the most important thing. Not that you should tend your marriage to the neglect of your future children, but to neglect your marriage in order to focus on those children would be a mistake. Your marriage should come first, with your children a close second. The married couple is the nucleus of the family - without that relationship being strong, the rest will fall apart.

It's a balancing act, like everything else in life, but the marriage should indeed be your first priority. Your children will thrive if your marriage is healthy. Do not focus on your children to the exclusion of your marriage. Yes, their care will be your biggest responsibility in life until they are adults - but that is a responsibility that you share with your spouse, which is why it is vital to maintain a strong and happy marriage. A lot of people fall into the trap of making their children more important than their marriage - and when the marriage suffers for it, the children ultimately suffer for it as well. I hope someone with kids will respond and articulate this better than I can say it - but as far as I'm concerned, that advice is spot-on. It's a balancing act, but ultimately, that marriage is the most important thing because so many other aspects of your life depend on it. There are periods when other things in your life may need more of your attention, be it a child, pet, your career, your home, elderly parents, etc - but ultimately, the marriage you create with your life partner should be the most important. If you maintain that, it makes everything else easier.

Anyway, I think that's great advice. A friend of mine gave similar advice - When evaluating any decision, ask yourself three questions in this order: 1) Is this good for the marriage? 2) Is this good for my spouse? 3) Is this good for me? I like that way of looking at things - where the good of the marriage is the #1 priority, the good of the other person is second, and your own good is third. Of course, it only works if both partners practice it. That's easy in principal or in the beginning of a marriage, but once you're really into the daily grind, you have to keep reminding yourselves.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: May 18, 2010 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

DH's grandparents where married for 75 years. I ask DH;s grandmom for her secret and she told me 'hold hands'.
wedding tickers

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: May 18, 2010 5:00 PM Go to message in response to: AyeshaandAndre

Hello and congrats on your engagement!

To chime in on your post, your marriage should always come first, yes even before the kids. If you neglect your marriage to tend to the kids, that is a recipe for disaster.

I know personally because when I had my daughter, I took off my wife hat and put on my mommy hat. While I was knocking it out of the park being a new mommy, my husband was placed on the back burner. All of my free time was devoted to Jordin. My husband confronted me about it and I thought he was just jealous. I stopped trying to look nice, and we stopped going out, and yes our sex life lacked as well. He confronted me about it again and I got my shit together! Now I'm a good mother to my daughter and a good wife to my husband.

I said all of that to advise you to become a good juggler! That is my advice to you. You must balance work, school(?), hubby, kids, household chores, sex, and your hobbies (a.k.a. me time!) Good luck!

Lilypie - (8e8A)

Nmahoney82 Posts : 23 Registered: 5/19/10
Posted: May 19, 2010 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: AyeshaandAndre

My fiancé and I have two children, and we (not that we are
near perfect) have maintained a great relationship and love for each other side
from Mommy and Daddy. We take time to
focus on the kids and quality time like playing Uno, or going to the movies as
a family, but we also make time for date night with each other. We go to a
movie with just the two of us, or do to a dance club (we’re both in our late 20’s)
or whatever we can to keep the “fire” alive. Being a Mommy is the best thing in the world,
but I’m also Niki.

My mom told me when I got engaged to watch my spending. She
knows we work very hard for our money, and the FH and I are paying for the
wedding ourselves to take stress off our parents. With that said, my mom
explained that when her and my dad got married she spent a lot of money “feeding
and watering” people that didn’t give a crap in the end if they witnessed their
union or not. That was the most
important piece of advice for me. We’re only inviting people that truly care to
see us unite, and we aren’t spending a lot of money on food and beverages, we’re
spending a lot of money on our honeymoon! :)

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: May 19, 2010 2:27 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

ArtBride you are right 100%! I'm gonna show a friend of mine what you wrote. Her marriage isn't doing too well :(

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

MikaylaK Posts : 53 Registered: 5/23/10
Posted: May 24, 2010 7:12 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

My father gave us his usual "the first ten years of marriage are like ten minutes... under water." It's his funny way to say that marriage is not easy.

Then he got more serious and told us to remember the 3 Rs that are essential in marriage. #1: Respect for yourself, #2: Respect for your spouse, and #3: Responsibility. When you stick to those, it becomes easier (so he says).

After reading your posts, I can only hope that we'll learn to balance the parenting and spouse part of our marriage. That's really good advice.

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: May 24, 2010 7:24 PM Go to message in response to: MikaylaK

Before DH and I got married we had to take a test from our church. It was statements that we either Strongly Agreed, Strongly Disagreed, or were Not Sure about. One of the statements said "Our children will come before anything else." DH was surprised when I circle "strongly disagreed" and I explained to him pretty much what the other posts said: our marriage has to come first, if our marriage is happy and healthy, then our children will be too. So this "test" that we originally thought was a little ridiculous, actually spurred some good conversations that we otherwise might not have had.

STBMrsBW Posts : 21 Registered: 7/16/10
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: AyeshaandAndre

From personal experience I have learned that you must make time for each other. Your kids, like others have posted, must come second. My parents say marriage is like dating, you just have a piece of paper now. Don't think that just because you have that paper that your spouse will stick with you if you start to always treat them badly. Not saying that your FH will leave you if you fight or have a bad day but he may if you start being a total bitch all the time. If you treated him good while dating you should do the same when married. Go on dates like you used to and remember to try and take a vacation once a year, even if it is a weekend getaway at home, with no kids. My parents have been married for a long time and have a wonderful marriage so I believe they know what they are talking about. Oh, and my father says to always say I love you before you hang up the phone or leave your spouse even if you are fighting because you never know what may happen.

[

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine