Proposal without a ring

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

corac715 Posts : 29 Registered: 3/28/10
Proposal without a ring
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 6:27 PM

My bf and I are in the process of buying a house. The mortgage loan officer told us 'no major purchases' or opening new credit until after we sign on the house. (now credit scores are over 800 and we are not going to the extreme in the mortgage - qualify for around 275K going to spend under 200K) When we found out about this my bf was very upset thinking he would have to postpone the proposal, which he didn't want to do because he has a certain day that is very important to him that he wants to propose on. I told him that it didn't matter if he had a ring right away. This was a few weeks ago. Today I decided to ask him.....will you be proposing with or without a ring? He said...i don't know. He didn't want to answer my question....but I forced him. I said I really need to know, because I want to prepare myself. I said I don't want to get excited about getting a ring and then not get one and be totally disappointed when I don't get one and 'ruin' the moment. He said that I would be getting a ring at the proposal, even if it is just a picture of what he is planning on getting me. So I guess I am planning on trying to prepare myself for a proposal without a ring.

Has anyone else been in my shoes?

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Re: Proposal without a ring
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 12:15 AM Go to message in response to: corac715

I can't say I have been in those shoes before; having said that though, to you, does the ring really make the engagement or do you guys make the engagement? The most important thing is to have him in your life. The engagement will happen when it's meant to happen.

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 1:01 AM Go to message in response to: corac715

NotFroofy and I decided not to have engagement rings at all, and our wedding rings are plain gold bands with no stones. Both of us would feel insecure wearing a ring that would be worth someone's time to steal. Trust me, we're just as married without engagement rings!

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

Posted: Apr 30, 2010 9:04 AM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

Honestly...I just want him...ring...no ring.... I want to spend my life with him. I am hapy not having a ring right now. The ring does not make the engagement or the marriage. Just like so many people focus on the "wedding" instead of the "marriage". I just didn't know if maybe other people out there had been in my shoes. And when you tell people you are engaged, they all ask..."let me see the ring"....what do you say?

Marryingmytruel... Posts : 135 Registered: 2/11/10
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 1:55 PM Go to message in response to: corac715

You could tell people that your BF asked you to marry him and then when they ask to see the ring just say that you are planning on designing your own custom ring but you just haven't had a chance yet with everything going on at work, buying a house, etc. I know a few people who got engaged without rings. They then went and picked out a ring together. I didn't think anything of it.

You could also get a non-diamond engagement ring. That might be a less expensive option that would work for you.

skye425 Posts : 10 Registered: 4/19/10
Posted: May 1, 2010 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: corac715

I got engaged 2 weeks ago without a ring. I told my FH straight up that I don't want to post pone an engagement for months just so he could save up for a ring. The promise is what is important to me, not the ring. Yes, people congratulate me and then most of them say "do you have a ring?" afterwards or they not-so-subtly look at my hand. I just say "no, not yet" and pretty much everyone understands. It really isn't a well kept secret the erings are expensive, so it's not like they look down on you. And even if they did, who cares? I am engaged!

----

Engaged 4/15/2010 

Posted: May 2, 2010 8:19 PM Go to message in response to: skye425

More than anything in the world I just can't wait to hear the proposal. He is such a sweet sweet man that I know his proposal is going to be heartfelt and emotional! I just want my forever to be with him.

futureclifton0408 Posts : 1 Registered: 4/20/10
Posted: May 2, 2010 8:32 PM Go to message in response to: corac715

I got engaged about a month ago. He didn't have a ring, it was very spur of the moment. He said it just felt like the perfect time to do it (even though he didn't have a ring), and it was. It was the best moment of my life. <3 When we got home (we were camping), he gave me his class ring as a promise of an engagement ring soon to come. I told him that I'm perfectly happy with just knowing I'm going to marry him.

NissySokol Posts : 22 Registered: 12/23/09
Posted: May 12, 2010 8:50 AM Go to message in response to: corac715

I didnt get a ring right away. actually i waited 9 months to get one. when my boyfriend proposed it was out of the blue, he said it just came to him after having a conversation with an older man who told him the story about him and his wife. My fiance didnt get down on one knee. he actually did it on the phone. He's a Marine and he's stationed in SC, i live in MD. he didnt have enough money to come up here and propose in person so he just went for it. after that when i finally saw him 2 months after the proposal he still didnt have a ring. He was about to deploy to japan for 6 months, he told me he felt bad about not having a ring but i didnt care.instead he left me his marines ring, which i wore proudly while he was gone. chirstmas came around and he told me he'd get it for me then but he didnt so i waited some more. then homecoming came around and he told me he'd take me to go look at rings when he get back. next thing i know it's the big day, the plane landed and he got out of the plane with a ring box in his hand and re-proposed to me right there in front of everyone. he bought my ring in Thailand and had it all planned, it ended up being the best proposal ever.

Wedding Tickers

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 8:55 AM Go to message in response to: corac715

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45682.html

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: corac715

Rosa Clara Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-rosa-clara-c-420_451.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine