your opinion

Online Users: 1,264 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

jujugirl Posts : 42 Registered: 4/8/10
your opinion
Posted: May 8, 2010 2:40 PM

So I just read an article that said the average man proposes 2 years 11 months and 8 days after the first date. How true do you think it is?

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: your opinion
Posted: May 8, 2010 4:04 PM Go to message in response to: jujugirl

? Define average, and no, I think it's a ridiculous article. A man proposes when he is individually ready to do so.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: May 8, 2010 4:28 PM Go to message in response to: jujugirl

I think that's a load of bologna. I've known men who proposed after 6 months, and men who are still waiting to propose after almost 8 years.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

turtle2 Posts : 56 Registered: 11/3/09
Posted: May 11, 2010 9:41 AM Go to message in response to: jujugirl

too specific of a number to be accurate. We've been dating for 2 1/2 years and he has yet to proposed. Some guys wait many more years, some wait a month or two, others a week. I don't think there is an average. There is no formula or mathmatic equation to proposing. Although many men propose on big holidays or important dates to the couple e.g. their anniversary or birthday

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: May 11, 2010 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: jujugirl

I'm sure it's true, although that actually seems a bit long to me. I guess there are many people like MrsM and myself who were together for upwards of 6 years before getting engaged.

I'll say this --- 3 years is a good amount of time for a man to know if he's with someone he'd want to marry. I think whether he's ready to get married is another question, though.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: May 11, 2010 12:10 PM Go to message in response to: jujugirl

If DH and I would have followed that time, we would be married at 18 and 19!

Lilypie - (8e8A)

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: May 11, 2010 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: jujugirl

I agree with others that this mathematical average is utterly useless. As others have mentioned, a lot of couples date for a much longer or shorter time before getting engaged - and these numbers throw off the average from what it would be if everyone got engaged between, say, 3-4 years.

For us, the right time to get engaged was 7 years. We met in college, had plans for a lot of higher education that we intended to complete before getting married, and neither of us had any interest in getting married in our early 20s (if we had gotten engaged according to this average, I would have been 21...so married at 22? Totally not for me). This is pretty normal within my closest group of friends, all of whom have advanced degrees. Within other groups of our friends with lower education levels, the average length of time before getting engaged is lower, but it still seems to be 4-5 years. I only know a few people who got married in their 20s without dating for 3+ years, but I expect that I'll know more as we're entering our 30s and single friends meet the right person, as they'll have fewer reasons to wait several years (and reasons not to, if they want to have kids) as they are older and established.

Out of curiosity, how is this average useful in the slightest? Will you start daydreaming about engagement rings as you start approaching 2 years whatever months, regardless of the actual state of your relationship? Plan your wedding ahead of time under the assumption that you'll get engaged on that day? Beat him over the head with the Book of Useless Statistics if he doesn't propose by that date? Stress out that there's something wrong with your relationship if you fall 'behind the curve'? What use could you possibly have for this information? And if there's no use for it, WHO CARES?

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 8:53 AM Go to message in response to: jujugirl

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45676.html

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: jujugirl

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine