Save the Dates and Invites - HELP

Online Users: 1,350 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 3

AshleyandSteve2... Posts : 1 Registered: 5/10/10
Save the Dates and Invites - HELP
Posted: May 10, 2010 2:42 PM

My fiance and I are having a 2 day wedding event. A Friday night ceremony followed by a picinic that Saturday. We have no idea how to word the save the dates and the invites. Do we even send out a formal invite or could we make something on the computer. There is only so much room for the wording and even though its informal we still want it to look nice. We also want people to be aware the after the ceremony there is no dinner, but that they are still invited to the picnic. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions or tips, please let us know.

MarchBride13 Posts : 1 Registered: 5/4/10
Re: Save the Dates and Invites - HELP
Posted: May 10, 2010 4:18 PM Go to message in response to: AshleyandSteve2...

For the Save the Dates, you could keep things a little bit simple:

Save the Date.
Name and Name's Wedding Weekend
Date - Date (Show that it is multiple days)
For more information, visit (your wedding website)
Formal Invitation to Follow.

For the invitation, you could just specify the times and addresses for each event.

Name
and
Name
invite you to share
a celebration of happiness
as they begin a life of love
Friday, the eighth of October (insert your own date)
Two thousand and ten
at eight o'clock in the evening
City, State

Picnic Reception
Saturday, the nineth of October
Two thoushand and ten
at eleven o'clock in the morning
City, State

Best of luck in writing these items!

dodgercpkl Posts : 130 Registered: 9/27/09
Posted: May 10, 2010 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: AshleyandSteve2...

We are doing the same thing Ashley. I figured that the important part was to let people know the dates they needed to be thinking of for travel and time off for the STD's and the formal invites and website would have the details. This is the wording I went with:

"Please Save the Dates!

This day I will marry my friend, the one I laugh with, live for, dream with, love.

The wedding and reception of:

Teri and Anton
October 15-16, 2010

formal invitation to follow"

And ended it by giving the wedding website address so people could get more information. Mine is more complicated by the fact that we are having a very small and intimate wedding ceremony for family only and then inviting everyone for the reception, so we actually have 2 different STD cards and 2 lists of people. As for the invitations, I plan to have seperate directions and specific note about the 2 different days.

To address the point made by a pp about the inconvenience of having 2 days, we personally chose to do it this way because of a few things. The seperate guest lists, the ceremony venue, the fact that most everyone that is at the ceremony is either local or from far enough out of town (the Netherlands) that we knew they would be here in the area for much longer then the 2 days anyway, and several other factors. Our reception is planned to be a fun informal event, so while Anton and I are planning on getting dressed up for both, we definitely aren't requiring anyone else to.

Edited by: dodgercpkl on May 10, 2010 4:46 PM

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: May 10, 2010 4:59 PM Go to message in response to: AshleyandSteve2...

Dear Ashley,

The PP have offered wording. You need only mention the "dates" on the save-the-date, then the invitation would have the date / place / time of the ceremony and the date / place / time of the reception.

"Do we even send out a formal invite or could we make something on the computer"

The invitation should match the formality of the event. That gives people a clue as to what to expect (indoors/outdoors) and what to wear (formal gown/jeans).

I am assuming both the ceremony and the next-day reception picnic are informal. In that case, an informal invitation is exactly correct. Go to a stationery store, like Kinkos, and look for picnic-y paper, then format your invitation to fit that paper. Once you have something you like, just print it out, stuff, stamp and mail them.

If your ceremony is formal, but the picnic informal, then you should get a formal invitation and indicate that the reception is informal.

Mr and Mrs Joe Smith
invite you....
(etc)

Informal Picnic Reception
July 25, 2010
City Park
2:00 pm

There's nothing wrong with having a reception the day after the wedding. People do that. You must bre prepared for some guests attending one event, but not both. They may not want to dedicate two days to your wedding. They could skip the ceremony and come for the picnic, and vice versa.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine