When should you take your dress into get it altered?

Online Users: 1,279 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

Orangette Posts : 1 Registered: 2/17/10
When should you take your dress into get it altered?
Posted: May 6, 2010 2:31 AM

Hello ladies!

I am getting married in October and found a great dress. It's now May and I'm wondering when I should take it in to get altered. Right now it fits really well other than being long. I'm not trying to lose an exorbitant amount of weight, but definitely focusing on toning my arms and chest. Any tips on timing?

Also, if you're in the San Francisco Bay Area, do you have an alterations person you might recommend?

Thanks!

Joy and peace to you.

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Re: When should you take your dress into get it altered?
Posted: May 6, 2010 11:40 AM Go to message in response to: Orangette

Well this may seem like a stupid question but, do you have your shoes yet? If you are wearing flats you may be thinking, oh what's the difference. That 1/4 inch makes a HUGE difference in length. I'm wearing ballet flats and if I don't have them on my dress is just long enough to make me step on it.

About timing though, I brought mine in for a first fitting about a month and a half out. I only had 3 fittings and I was done. Keep in mind though if you wait too long, say within 2 weeks of the wedding, most places will charge a rush fee.

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: May 6, 2010 11:56 AM Go to message in response to: Orangette

I'm getting mine altered 3 months before the wedding. Which reminds me I still need to buy my shoes :)

CIMG7482-1.jpg picture by CheetahAngel81

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Lazyzoey Posts : 8 Registered: 3/16/10
Posted: May 9, 2010 11:31 PM Go to message in response to: Orangette

Congrats!! I think it's better to leave three months for the alteration, before go alteration, you need done with the shoes, bra, corset you will wear on that day, then you size after alteration will be very fit. It's not a good idea if you lose or rise much weight during this three months...

Frame every so-called disaster with these words "in five years, will this matter?"
www.sheltonweddingdresses.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine