Planning from afar

Online Users: 1,252 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 4

ElleJay24 Posts : 17 Registered: 1/11/10
Planning from afar
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 1:17 PM

Hey destination brides or anyone with some good advice:

I'm looking for a way to plan my wedding in Athens, Greece but can't seem to find very much information about it. There is lots available on getting married in Greece - but it's all on the islands! I want to get married in the city of Athens.

My finace and I traveled to Athens in 2008 so we're somewhat familiar with the city and have already decided on a hotel. The hard part will be finding a hair salon, trustworthy vendors and THE VENUE. I'm thinking I might just hire a planner - whatcha think?

All advice welcome! Thanks!!

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Re: Planning from afar
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 2:13 PM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

I would suggest talking to the hotel concierge. If its a hotel you like and feel you can trust, this may be your best course on finding out information and recommendations. I had a travel agent tell me this - that if I am in any doubt, ask the conceirge.

As for a planner. I am not sure. Where are you going to be holding the wedding? At the hotel or some place else? If you are doing it at the hotel, check and see if they have an event planner. I think that may be the first time - finding out where you are having the wedding and then find out what services they provide.

I know its hard. I am having my wedding in Hawaii and just booked my reception and cake and have no idea how any of it will taste becauseof not being able to meet with people face to face. But my wedding company that is performing the ceremony provides my flowers - which are seasonal flowers - and some of the other basics.

Have you read any of the destination wedding books?

Only other suggestion - research and ask questions in the destination wedding area here on specific things and people may be able to help. There is a planning company: destinationweddings.com - I didn't use them because my wedding isn't that complicated to plan but I have heard good things and they are a group that specializes in planning destination weddings and helping with the consoldation of the travel plans for you and your party.

have fun! I have always wanted to go to Greece and can only imagine how beautiful a wedding will be there!

Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com
Edited by: alymar on Apr 29, 2010 2:13 PM

Edited by: alymar on Apr 29, 2010 2:15 PM

ElleJay24 Posts : 17 Registered: 1/11/10
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: alymar

Thanks, alymar!

One last question for you: I'm wondering how to go about my guest list. Should I just send the invitations and let people respond with whether they'll come or not - as I normally would if it weren't in Greece?

In other words, I have no idea who will want to make the trek across the world for this wedding - but I'm constantly surprised when I bring it up and people say they will come...

Any suggestions on how to get a good idea of the guest list without insulting anyone by inviting them to an event so far away (and possibly expensive to attend)?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 4:22 PM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

Dear Elle,

" Should I just send the invitations and let people respond with whether they'll come or not - as I normally would if it weren't in Greece? "

Yes, that's exactly what you should do. Invite people and let them make up their own minds as to whether or not they can attend. You do need to get your invitations out extra-early, though.

As for the planning questions, you're running into a lot of good reasons not to plan a wedding from a thousand miles away. My best suggestion would be to ask the hotel concierge for a list of "known" wedding planners, then contact them. If you feel particularly comfortable with one of them, then go on with that.

Be sure, first, before you do anything, look at the legalities of getting married in Greece. Do you have to have a minimum legal residence ahead of the wedding? Any issues should one or both of you be divorced? Check all that out before you make any further plans.

Can at least one of you go to Greece ahead of time to get stuff arranged?

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 1:05 AM Go to message in response to: ElleJay24

Yes, do it as you normally would. We know that some people aren't going to come but will be sending them invites anyways because we still want them to be invited. Talk to those you know you want to come for sure about starting to make plans. My family already booked their house for the trip and we booked our flights. This will give people time to start booking.

And as AOTB said, send out your invites early. We are sending ours out 6 months from the wedding date. Combining the save the date and invite together. But I would especially check out destination wedding for dummies - its great for tips. They will probably have it at the local library.

If you want to keep it small - start with those closest to you and work your way out from there. Our list is getting bigger and bigger as we go but gave our family a deadline to get addresses to us.
Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine