What did you do with your wedding dress?

Online Users: 1,257 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

meaghanp1121 Posts : 13 Registered: 8/9/08
What did you do with your wedding dress?
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 8:36 PM

Hi married ladies,

I'm trying to find interesting or creative ideas for my wedding dress now that the wedding is over. I would love a way to keep some or all of it as long as it makes sense. Currently my dress is packed in a bin in the basement, and I am not the kind of person who wants to save it for a future daughter. Any interesting ideas out there?

Meaghan

MrsKG Posts : 115 Registered: 10/5/08
Re: What did you do with your wedding dress?
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 10:44 PM Go to message in response to: meaghanp1121

I have been thinking the same thing, Ive heard of women having their dress made into a christening gown for their babies, so I think I may do that. But I guess that all depends on if your plannning on having kids, and if you would have them christened.

Im intrested to see if anyone else has any ideas.

~Kristin 

"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly."
--
Sam Keen
wedding widget

Formerly-FutureMrsGeorge

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 11:26 PM Go to message in response to: meaghanp1121

There are a few options

1. You could sell it as a second-hand dress
2. You could donate it to a cause such as Brides Against Breast Cancer
3. Trash the Dress Session
4. Alter it to make a 'new' dress. Depending on the dress it can be altered to make it less like a 'bridal gown' such as hemming it, removing any sashes, etc. You can wear it on anniversaries, etc.
5. Use the material to make a christening dress if you plan on having children and christening them.
6. Keep it as a keepsake.

I know that my Mom still has hers and it's just in a box in the attic and has been untouched for years. I remember her showing it to me as a child and I remember finding it horrifically tacky because let's be honest--we don't wear the same things as we did in 1987. Hello shoulder pads and long lace sleeves! I will actually stand by the fact that my Mom was able to look breathtakingly beautiful in that awful dress. Even if I liked it, my Mom is a size 4 and 5ft3 and i'm a size 8 and 5ft6.

Now that I think about it--maybe I will use some of her lace sleeve to make a lace headband for the wedding. Maybe. Pull a little DIY

So I definitely think it's a good idea to do something with it.

dodgercpkl Posts : 130 Registered: 9/27/09
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: meaghanp1121

I'm planning to either donate mine or preserve it. I really like the idea of donating it. I really doubt it would get reworn even if we had a girl child, but donating it means it's going to help someone or give someone their dream dress!

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 1:29 AM Go to message in response to: meaghanp1121

I answered you on the fashoin focus post. But, I'll reiterate. My grandma kept hers, she died the year before my wedding, we used the lace from her dress for the bouquets (tied them) and the veil for wrapping the FG basket. I am SO happy she had it. Would I use an 80s dress now? Nope, but hers was from 1930. And it was beautiful. I wouldhave worn it but the fabric wasn't preserved well enough and so I couldn't. But, I could use the lace and the veil. It was a little like having part of her and my grandpa there.

But if no plans for kids, well, the other ideas are good too. My only point, really, is that even if daughter won't want to or can't wear it, there are things a daughter, grand daughter or great grand daughter could do.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 8:09 AM Go to message in response to: meaghanp1121

My mother still has hers....and ladies if you think and 80s dress was bad, you should see a 60s. It's got this empire waist with a boob bow. It's straight down from the boob bow and the bodice has a boat neck (with a v notch). Short sleeves. And ivory "satin" (but the kind that kinda now looks like polyester). In fairness....my mother was a low budget bride in 1967, so this was not exactly a designer gown.

And yeah, 80s dresses are a little overboard on the lace, poofy sleeves, and head band veils. I see some of my class mates wedding photos and think "OMG!" Heck, I see our prom pictures and think OMG. Then I went to a wedding show a couple years ago and I swear they were trying to bring back the Bubble Skirt with METALLIC pink or metallic lime green for bridesmaid dresses. WOT WOT!! WHY!!!!

My own dress is presently in my closet. We did some trash the dress sessions with it and I had planned on donating it afterwards, but I accidentally trashed the dress. I don't know what we'll end up doing with it now, but it really isn't a dress you could alter to make it wearable otherwise. Of course, I could see about having it turned into a tea length dress and then have it for a major anniversary vow renewal. I'll have to ponder that.

Misty

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Another idea to toss in there, which I am planing on hopefully doing some day, is turn it into some

Lingerie for an anniversary. My dress's bodice is like a corrset so I want to have the bodice removed and turned into an actuall corsett. I am still throwing around ideas of leaving a little of the skirt on it.

ytchevy Posts : 1 Registered: 2/19/09
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 7:14 AM Go to message in response to: meaghanp1121

You could have a quilt made out of it that way it never goes out of style and it can be passed down. That is what I am planning on doing.

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 11:32 AM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

I'm at a loss about what to do with mine too... it's been over 6 months and it's still just sitting at my mom's house. We haven't even gotten it cleaned!

My dress was the Maggie Sottero Monalisa Royale, so I'm fairly certain it will be outdated by the time I have kids that are old enough to get married, and so I don't know if it's worth keeping around for that. However, my mom still has hers and I loved playing dress-up in it as a kid... I just don't know what to do!

I'd love to make the top into lingerie and then use the bottom material for a christening gown, but it's pretty heavy satin with pickups. Does anyone know if you can do a christening gown out of a heavy material like that?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine