Enhanced Diamonds?

Online Users: 1,280 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 1

CapeTownBride Posts : 37 Registered: 4/16/10
Enhanced Diamonds?
Posted: Apr 18, 2010 4:17 AM

I'm looking at rings to give my SO an idea of what I like so that he can make the decision on his own. The wait is killing me but at least I can while away my time by looking at pretty things!

I've recently come across a jeweller who offers "clarity enhanced diamonds". He says they're no different to regular diamonds, they've just been enhanced. Hmmm... Basically, they seem to offer more "bling per buck".

I've been looking online and a lot of the information seems to contradict what the jeweller says, but a lot of it seems to point to the fact that many stones are enhanced, but it is frowned upon to enhance diamonds?

Has anyone here had an enhanced diamond? And if so, what has your experience been with it?

I'm quite happy to go for a smaller, not enhanced stone, but hey, I'm a girl, and the offer of more sparkle for the same amount of money is very tempting! NB, I live in South Africa, so moissonite (sp?) and other diamond simulants are not really an option.

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Re: Enhanced Diamonds?
Posted: Apr 18, 2010 6:56 AM Go to message in response to: CapeTownBride

I just wanted to say how cool it is whenever we get posters from countries that aren't America. We currently have two girls posting from the EU (myself included), and you're the second bride posting from Africa, if I do recall correctly. Awesome! We should start a little club. *;)

I don't know much about diamond enhancement, but from what I have heard: yes, you get more bling for your buck, and it looks beautiful and shiny, however, you depreciate the value of the stone greatly if you enhance it. So, if you aren't concerned about the diamond's resale value, it shouldn't be an issue. But like I said, I'm not well versed on this subject.

I also wanted to say I'm a definite supporter of moissanite, white topaz, white sapphires, and sometimes even CZ in place of diamonds. I've been doing a lot of research in the last two months on simulant stones, and I've gotten some great information over the internet. There are places online where you can order loose gem stones, and have them sent to you (since you are in South Africa, I can understand why going out and buying one would be extremely difficult). Then you can simply place them in whatever setting you've chosen, and you're good to go. If you do plan to go the diamond simulant route, I would highly recommend you consider moissanite, white sapphires, and white topaz, in that order. Moissanite and white sapphires are very sturdy, and have just as much beauty as diamonds. White topaz is beautiful too, but you have to be cautious not to scratch it. They lose their luster very quickly, if they aren't handled with care. I'd say white topaz would be good for a temporary stone, if you want to wait and save up for a nice diamond later (perhaps on your 5th anniversary, or something?).

Best of luck to you. *:) We foreign girls gotta stick together!

EDITED TO ADD: We actually have THREE girls from the EU, not two. *:)

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

Edited by: VšnTillBruden on Apr 19, 2010 12:14 PM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine