strapless dresses - do they really stay up?

Online Users: 1,249 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

shakinros Posts : 30 Registered: 1/5/09
strapless dresses - do they really stay up?
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 11:52 AM

So here I am, almost 30, never worn a strapless dress in my whole life. When I started wedding dress shopping, the first thing I told the consultants was MUST HAVE STRAPS of some kind. After trying on a bazillion dresses, I have three finalists and of course...two of them are strapless.

I do really like the way the dresses look on me. I'm super surprised that I liked them, but there you have it. I emailed pictures to my mom, future MIL, future step-MIL, and friends and they all liked different dresses for different reasons. Future MIL said I should stay away from strapless because it's too hard to dance in & I'll be pulling it up all night. It felt pretty secure in the store, but I didn't try jumping around in it or waving my arms much.

What's your experience been? Are you continually pulling up strapless dresses? Or do they stay where they're supposed to even through dancing? (I'm not a great dancer, but very enthusiastic!) If it makes a difference, I'm 5'2, 36DD, wear size 8 or 10 clothing.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: strapless dresses - do they really stay up?
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: shakinros

Before I went dress shopping I thought for sure that strapless dresses do not stay up. I tried on some strapless dresses and I was surprised how tight they were on me. I could jump up and down and it would not fall off! lol.I thought for sure it would all come down since I am tiny in the chest part. But somehow it just stays up there. It depends on how the dress fits you and how tight it is. When you go for your fitting they will make sure it's sturdy. I wouldn't worry about it. If you really like the dress even though it's strapless I say just go get it :)

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Hello! I wore a strapless dress and more or less didn't have any problems. I say more or less, because I bought a sample dress that was a bit to big for me, and when I got it altered she couldn't take as much off as I needed. I have read on here that strapless dresses arn't affected by your chest size, but how it fits in your waist. That is where it will be holding up, so you want it tight there. If you love a strapless dress I say go for it!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: shakinros

My daughter felt the same way--and, of course, ended up in a strapless dress (picture on our website). That thing did not move! It all depends on the construction of the dress and how well it is fitted to you. It should have boning that holds the dress in place. A corset waistline also can help and, of course, so can whatever you put under the dress. An alterations person can put in an invisible bone that slips down between your dress and your bra and hold everything in place.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

jbear Posts : 73 Registered: 9/18/06
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 5:04 PM Go to message in response to: myra

You could also add straps to one of the strapless dresses if you like one of them best and are still worried...

JessicaLeeCA Posts : 10 Registered: 7/29/09
Posted: Jul 31, 2009 6:35 PM Go to message in response to: shakinros

It will certianly stay up. Just make sure that you wear a good strapless bra with plenty of support.

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Aug 3, 2009 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: shakinros

My dress slipped a bit after the ceremony. The consultant had suggested that I tack the top of the gown onto the bra I was wearing for more security. We even had the dress taken in by two inches under each arm and it still slipped. I don't think it was a major problem, I still looked fab and so far I haven't seen my bra in any pictures. :)
That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger. Innocent

dalesbride Posts : 20 Registered: 7/8/09
Posted: Apr 17, 2010 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: brownegirl

I bought a 1 piece boustierre (?sp) and I am going to tack the dress to the boustierre.
Cool

tnichelle1485 Posts : 119 Registered: 2/28/08
Posted: Apr 17, 2010 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: shakinros

You know...I thought the same thing after having worn NUMEROUS strapless dresses in my life. Normally, they don't stay up. But with a wedding dress? They are constructed differently than a normal cotton sundress, ya know?

Mine is strapless and the thing does not move! I think you'll be fine:*)

~We're getting married on "Loving Day!"...June 12, 2010...He asked if I'd be with him forever and of course my answer was yes

2bmel2010 Posts : 26 Registered: 10/7/07
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 4:09 PM Go to message in response to: shakinros

Like everyone is saying, if it is fitted to your body then it shouldn't move. I wanted a strapless but have a larger chest so mother & I agreed strapless for the ceremony & then have straps made for the reception. We took my dress to our tailor because I'm having details added. When I had the dress on he noticed the bust area came out WAY to far, then looked at how it was stitched... ended up being stitched wrong (at an angle instead of straight)so he's taking the dress apart (OMG I'm freaking out about that, lol) & putting it all back together. Again, it won't move if it's fitted to your body.

georgegabrielle... Posts : 3 Registered: 7/6/09
Posted: May 14, 2010 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: shakinros

I'm a designer and seamstress. I make a lot of wedding dresses. So from my experience, a prperly made strapless wedding dress should have boning understructure and a waiststay to prevent the dress from slipping down. :)
http://www.georgegabriellecouture.blogspot.com/

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 12, 2012 9:20 AM Go to message in response to: shakinros

Save up to 22% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $218.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/ball-gown-strapless-ruffles-organza-wedding-dress-style-giselle-p-33756.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: shakinros

Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine