First Apartment/Place Advice

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 28

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Re: First Apartment/Place Advice
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I'd take that list that you make and head out to the garage sales. Hit up the dollar store and buy a TON of dish clothes and towels, spatulas, can openers, etc. I get all mine there and when they get too dirty or stop coming clean in the wash i just throw them away. If you don't have one already, get a stereo/tv. living on your own can get awfully quiet if you don't have these things.

Like PP said DEFINATELY get yourself some tennants insurance... even if you think you don't have enough property to make it worth it, concider if you left your tap on and accidentally flooded apartments below you. YOU are responsible for the damages to thier things. There was recently a condo fire here after someone put out a cigarette in a dry planter. All 120 units were deemed uninhabitable after because all the water to put out the fire in the top units flooded and damaged the rest of the building beyond repair.

Oh, and get 2 alarm clocks, there will be nobody to remide you to get up if you "snooze" your first alarm and are about to miss work.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Dear Van,

I've been thinking back to my first place.

I was really broke then, and had little money to fix up my apartment. I had to go without a lot of stuff, simply because at $415/month gross income and $160/month rent I didn't have a lot left over.

I did try, every month, to get at least one thing that would spruce up my apartment. It might be something like a kitchen canister or a couple of pretty towels, but it felt good to be making some progress.

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 1:26 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

This may sound stupid but at least 2 good bowls. Make sure 1 of them is large. You can use them for just about anything. I have 2 large bowls and one of them is ALWAYS dirty when I need them. Popcorn, mixing, soup(I hate using tiny bowls for soup), chips, basically anything!

I agree with the other posters about stapler. You will use that very often. Also a PP said the dollar store, that place is awesome! You can get so many of your little kitchen stuff there. It will really help.

Do you remember how Aunt always says make a want and a need list for the wedding? Do the same thing for your apartment. Make a list of things you want to have in your apartment and then prioritize it. Do you really need a new TV or is the one you have just fine? It will really help when you are on a budget.

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 10:50 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

A shower curtain, a silverware tray, a can opener, a pot holder, a garbage can, an ice cube tray. Those were some of the little things I've forgotten when moving or loaned to friends in the same situation.

Bookshelves are great for storing all kinds of things. I lived in an efficiency for awhile, so having vertical space for storage was useful.

Also, don't forget to change your address with the post office, your bank, school, work, etc.

Don't worry too much about having everything the day you move. As you settle in, you'll realize the little items you're missing. Have fun with it! I loved living on my own.

EWF Posts : 158 Registered: 7/16/09
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 11:12 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

i'm not sure if anyone's said it yet, but measure everything! you don't want to buy a couch and not be able to get it through the door. or buy a bed and end up with wall to wall mattress.

and buy space bags... if you're like me and have too little closet space and too many clothes, you will want to store off-season clothes under your bed.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

It's true that once you settle in, you will slowly start noticing little things that could help you. Don't worry about having them all figured out at the time.

I loved moving away from my parents and into a place with my closest friends. There are still things that I want and need for the house. But it's fun shopping for them throughout the year as I notice things that could help out or spruce it up a bit.

Rose said it best--just have fun with it.

As long as you have the essentials before you move in, that's all that matters.

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

I think all the lists the ladies gave you are great. However, keep in mind it's going to be your FIRST place. So it should be a little "ghetto" at times. And you won't have every single thing you need from day one. And when you realize you are missing something--like a pancake turner--the next time you hit Walmart, you grab one.

I lived in 2 apartments, one with a roommate, and one alone. And it takes a long time to build up a
"home"! Even now, DH and I have lived in our house for 2 years and it still resembles a college dorm room! But it's OK. We just remind ourselves, it takes a lifetime to accumulate all that "stuff". There is no need to stress over everything we don't have now!

But definitely create speadsheets of how much you are bringing in each month and what the bills look like and when they are due. That helped me SO much when I moved into my own apartment. I knew what paycheck went to which bills and I paid all those bills ON payday, so I knew what I had to work with for the next 2 weeks. THat was VERY helpful.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 1:33 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Dear NJ,

" Even now, DH and I have lived in our house for 2 years and it still resembles a college dorm room! But it's OK. We just remind ourselves, it takes a lifetime to accumulate all that "stuff". "

Yeah, and even after a lifetime my house still resembles a college dorm room.

The only way my house will get into Home Beautiful magazine is in a article entitled "Don't Let This Happen To You".

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Apr 16, 2010 11:30 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

You ladies have all been so helpful, thank you again for all of these tips! I'm writing down notes as we speak, summing up everything you've told me. That point about measuring is a great thing to keep in mind. It'd be such a disaster if I found a couch at a thrift store and couldn't even get it in the door!

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: May 13, 2010 9:04 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Hey ladies! Sorry to revive what is already a bit of a dead thread, but I was looking for a little bit more advice.

So, this is the basic layout of my apartment:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2m5UJ0SgoYQ/S-vKCEaeLhI/AAAAAAAAADY/IvEfdgLb8MY/s1600/Floor+Plan.bmp

I really need help breaking up that Main Room's space. It has to double as a living room, and a bedroom for myself (thankfully, I can fit a dining set in my kitchen). I'm not a big fan of everyone seeing/sitting on my bed, so I was thinking of sticking it in the far corner, and then using a bookshelf similar to this to divide the space, without forming an actual wall -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XfDbAPljZz8/SCeQxEDjeKI/AAAAAAAABYo/ECJR-iJvUHE/s320/expedit.jpg

Another suggestion I got from my stepmom was to break up the space with a curtain, but frankly, I really don't like that idea. Reminds me a bit too much of a shower curtain kind of deal, you know?

Any other ideas/input/critique would be fantastic!

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

Posted: May 13, 2010 11:22 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Dear Van,

A shelf that shields your bed from the main room would be a good idea. It would take up space, though. You'd need the extra space for the shelf itself, plus room between the shelf and the bed. Else, you'll have to crawl into bed from the foot and changing sheets would be "problematic". Would you feel clausterphobic with the shelf on one side and the wall on the other two sides, leaving only one narrow end of the bed free?

I actually like the curtain idea. You would use up less floor space, and when you are there by yourself you can pull the curtain back and have an illusion of more room. An alternative would be a folding, freestanding screen type room divider. (I'm thinking of movies where the star goes behind a short screen in her dressing room to change clothes, while talking to whoever is visiting her. Typically you can see just her face above the screen.) Again, with something like that you could fold up and put out of the way while there by yourself, but put it in place when people are visiting you.

Here's a wild idea. I noticed that you have a large kitchen, large in proportion to the main room. Can you fit a single bed in there?

Finally: washer and dryer in the apartment. Way cool. I went YEARS schlepping my laundry to an apartment pay-washer communal laundry room, and hated every minute.

Posted: May 14, 2010 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Dear Van,

I just did a bit of googling and found "shoji screens". These are the traditional Japanese room divider screens. I had never before seen the word "shoji", so I learned something new today.

Feeling emboldened, I went to http://www.ikea.com/ (you've heard of them, I trust) (I'm kidding) and searched a bit, then found #70182191 RISÖR Skärmvägg. It's the same catalog number in the US English as Swedish version of the site. 995kr or US$99.

That look great to me. You would fold it up and put it away (closet?) when you are there by yourself, then pull it out when people come over.

time94am Posts : 42 Registered: 5/16/10
Posted: May 16, 2010 5:02 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

One thing I'd be careful about is buying too much
stuff. It sounds like you have an
efficiency flat and the more possession you have in it, the smaller it will
feel. Buy or bring everything that is
absolutely essential and a tiny bit of what you want.

Today, banks and credit unions don't automatically send you
canceled checks. I know that mine are
available online for six months only.
Therefore, make sure you print off a copy of any check you even think
you may need proof of in the future, such as prepaying the first month's rent
or security deposit.

Taking multiple photos of the place before you
move in is excellent advice. Be anal
about peeking into every corner for crackling paint and carefully look and
document any potential areas of carpeting or kitchen cabinetry that look like
they may be potential problems in the future.

Do you already have a bed? If not, you could get a futon, which would work as a sitting area.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 14, 2012 12:41 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Save up to 22% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $218.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/ball-gown-strapless-ruffles-organza-wedding-dress-style-giselle-p-33756.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine