Bridesmaids dresses are not the color on the website!!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 20

headoverheels8 Posts : 80 Registered: 11/17/07
Bridesmaids dresses are not the color on the website!!!
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 9:54 PM

I had my bridesmaids order their dresses online. I tried to find someone that sells them near me so I could see them and such beforehand but had no luck. Well the dresses finally came in and they are supposed to be deep purple. They are MAROON. Like Texas A&M maroon. They say they are the color they were ordered as but it looks nothing like the picture on the computer. I am so furious. I can't have them returned because all sales are final because they are custom cut. I have no clue what to do. Maroon and purple definitely do not go together at all and I already have all the other decorations in the purple color. I've thought about dying them but I have no clue if that would work. I'm definitely not going to have my bridesmaids pay for another dress. Any ideas?

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Re: Bridesmaids dresses are not the color on the website!!!
Posted: Apr 7, 2010 11:30 PM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

Call them anyway... while sales are final these are not the dresses you ordered. You ordered a deep purple not maroon. It doesn't matter what the tag says - there is a HUGE differences in those colours. Can you take a picture of the swatch on the website next to the dress and send it to them? So they can see how off it is? Is there a colour it does match on the website?

It never hurts to call. As for dyeing - it would be difficult going from one to the other. Talk to a dress maker - dont do it on your own.

Other then that - I have no idea. I feel so bad for you though because your wedding is so close. This can be fixed. Can you post info on the dresses or pics?
Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 12:10 AM Go to message in response to: alymar

But I will also say that what colors you see on a computer screen almost always differ in real life - they differ from my computer to DH's.

Sorry I think you are stuck with what you got.

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 12:18 AM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

I agree that colors often are different on a computer screen, and most vendors will say so right on their websites. You can blend maroon/burgundy/purple together in your flowers and decor. Actually, it looks quite nice. I have at least one picture of this blend. Contact me through my website and I will send you whatever I have.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Apr 8, 2010 1:16 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Yes I know colors can differ from the real thing to the computer screen but this is a HUGE difference. I looked at the dress on several different computers and the color I selected was in the "purple" section of color options. They have maroon in the "red" section of color options. If you put the actual dress next to the picture of the dress it looks like a red dress and a purple picture and there is no reason for the difference to be that much from computer screen to in reality.

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 5:25 PM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

I still say contact them - it won't hurt to try- take a pic and email it to them so they can see. Even if they say no... at least you tried. Can you post a picture so we can maybe see what you are talking about.

My mom taught me long ago that sometimes rules can be bent when there is a real problem that can be fixed because of a mistake of the company. Generally rules about returns on clothing are because of the custom sizes or because of people wearing the clothes then trying to return them. As a retail manager - if there was a real problem that was not the customers fault - I was always willing to do what I could to fix that problem. I would rather have a happy customer then ruin a relationship with a customer and possible future relationships.

And yes, there is a difference from screen to real life but it shouldn't change purple to red. Purple is always purple... not red or any shade of red. My wonder is if they left the blue out of the dye?

If nothing else, try to blend them in like a PP said.

When is my wedding

Edited by: alymar on Apr 9, 2010 5:25 PM

BlueBoxBlueShoes Posts : 49 Registered: 2/15/10
Posted: Apr 11, 2010 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: alymar

I would definitely call the vendor and politely and calmly explain the situation. If the color purple has any special meaning to you, I would sweetly share it and hope that garners some sympathy.

I also work retail and I know I don't indulge people that act like raving lunatics that feel the need to scream at people. So if you make sure that you are calm and direct with customer service, they will be more likely to help you.

I personally think that maroon/burgundy and purples/lavenders look absolutely beautiful together by the way. I think you could make the dresses work, like have each bridesmaid wear two purple flowers with a red rose in their hair as an accessory or give the girls amethyst jewelry (like chandelier earrings) to wear during the ceremony.

Maybe you can switch their boutiques to have predominately purple flowers, but throw in a red flower or two. Good luck coming up with a creative solution!

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 3:42 PM Go to message in response to: alymar

I called the company that we bought the dresses from and they are not willing to do anything to help me. I was very polite and did not yell or act crazy. My dad is attempting to negotiate with them seeing he does it for a living and is better at it than I am.

here is the dress we ordered in the color we ordered:http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/6553/?colorid=6&acolorid=15

here is the dress we received:
dress1.jpg picture by funeralofself
the woman holding the dress is wearing a Texas A&M t-shirt whose school color is maroon. it matches pretty perfectly. the piece of paper over the dress is purple.

if you go to the link i provided and click on the burgundy color it that is what this dress looks like.

what do you girls think?

Posted: Apr 13, 2010 4:22 PM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

Did you order bordeaux?
When is my wedding

SarahDiamond Posts : 6 Registered: 2/16/10
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 7:17 PM Go to message in response to: alymar

Don't panic, you can get the dresses dyed but don't try this at home! Take it to a professional and bring in a swatch of the EXACT color you're looking for. Obviously you're in a bit of a nightmare situation and it would be a shame to have them dyed the wrong color. Some fabrics are easier to dye than others. Call a local dress shop or a dress maker and see what contact information you can get for a professional to help you with this.

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 1:45 AM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

I really like Myra's suggestion of mixing the colors in with the flowers, and while I do agree that the color is totally off, I've found the same issue with a lot of different dresses, while online most look totally different! One thing I wanted to add though, is it's still a really pretty color, and honestly I HATE reds and burgendys, maroons, basically all shades of red, but when I saw your pic I thought "ooh I like that!"

If all else fails and you don't want those dresses, I'm sure you can always try selling them online. You might have to eat some of the cost, but atleast you won't be stuck with dresses that'll never be worn.

I hope something works out for you!

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 1:49 PM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

I really hate to be "this girl", but... if you mention the words "lawyer", "consultation", "BBB" and/or "lawsuit", they are 99% likely to cooperate with you and fix the problem.

A friend of mine once ordered a prom dress from a website that completely and utterly botched her order. Her dress, much like your bridesmaid gowns, was completely the wrong color, and she could very easily prove it, the same as you (that picture is clear proof that you did NOT get what you ordered). However, the company essentially told her "Tough luck, we're not doing anything." So, her mother called back, asked again nicely, and when that got her nowhere, she simply said, in a very calm manner "Well, I'm going to be speaking with a lawyer, then, and getting in touch with the Better Business Bureau, because this is simply ridiculous." That was not an idle threat. She was not bluffing. She was ready to call, complain, and raise hell where ever necessary to make this right. As soon as she said that, the company was very cooperative, and they had a new dress for my friend within three weeks, at no cost to them for shipping or anything.

So, I'm not saying to bluff/threaten them... I highly suggest you actually contact the BBB and let them know what this company has done. However, give the company a warning first, before you call. You never know what they might be willing to do to "fix" your problem, then.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

It's like when my phone bill is un-necessarily high and I call the phone company to talk about some complaints I have with the bill and when they are stern I just go "well I hear that Verizon has a good package deal, so it will probably be cheaper for me to opt out of my contract and give them a call."

Am I bluffing? Hell no. However, I do choose to say it at very appropriate times. It's almost like just the sound of another phone company gives them a whole new script.

Honestly--Van's brining up the BBB is not a bad idea...You have no idea what a business will do to maintain their reputation.

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

headoverheels8, have you called the company yet? I'm dying for an update!

bwdcjk Posts : 11 Registered: 3/24/10
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: headoverheels8

This same thing happened to us ordering online, but in the dress maker's defense, I told my bridesmaid the wrong color from the color chart not taking into account I was looking at it through a privacy screen that made all the colors darker to the eye than actually shown. Once I realized this, I had my other bridesmaid hold off ordering her dress until the first one came in. Sure enough it was royal blue not navy blue. I take full responsibility for that. What I can't defend the dress maker on is the fact that the dress really looked nothing like the dress pictured. The fabric and cut were all wrong. The fabric was heavy and matte looking when it should have been more sheer. The hemline cut was supposed to be below the knee in front and then gradually a little long in back but not to the ankle. The dress came with the front above the knee and then it suddenly dropped almost to the ankle in the back. It was awful. We also can't return or exchange since it was custom ordered. We cut our losses and went to a bridal shop where we found almost the exact same dress, granted for $100 more, and we were out the original $100 for the 1st dress but these are exactly as expected and in the color I wanted. I was really worried since I had ordered my dress from the same site but when it came it was good. White instead ivory - or actuall cream was expected - but I can live with that and I don't have to start over to find a new dress and I was not out another $200 that I paid for my dress. Just buyer beware I guess. I hope it all turns out ok with your dresses.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;3/st/20100626/e/Our+Wedding/k/bcdb/s-event.png[/img]

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine