What can the guests do while the stuff is being moved?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

turtle2 Posts : 56 Registered: 11/3/09
What can the guests do while the stuff is being moved?
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 9:18 PM

I have this great idea for my wedding. It involves being outside and everyone is sitting on white chairs. Dum dum da dum ceremony happens you may kiss the bride and we exit. Next I want hired help (or really nice groomsmen) to move in tables and rearrange the chairs around them. Voila! We are suddenly at the reception! Oh and the food is also placed on the tables during this time. So my question is: What do my guests do while all this is going on? How do I entertain them?

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Re: What can the guests do while the stuff is being moved?
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 9:32 PM Go to message in response to: turtle2

Could you have a separate area nearby that's already set up for cocktails that the guests can go to while the reception area is being arranged?

How long do you anticipate the set up taking?

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 10:12 PM Go to message in response to: turtle2

They drink and socialize.

If you really want something to do, have lawn games available or set up. Croquet, bocci ball, lawn golf, etc.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 10:22 PM Go to message in response to: turtle2

This is time for the cocktail hour.
They stand outside and have h'or doeuvres and drinks.

You can either do passed h'or douevres or a buffet of them. You can do passed drinks or if the guests can access a bar from the outside that would work as well.

This is when you and the bridal party can take some photos and socialize and the staff of the venue can create your reception room.

I've seen this done a few times at places where I work.

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 10:26 PM Go to message in response to: turtle2

reception and horderves (or however its spelled).

um, can I suggest that you may not want to have the food sitting and waiting for people before they sit down. Especially outside. Its kind of nice to have the meal served if you can do it. But if you do - have the food covered for 2 reasons: 1 - bugs; 2 - help keep the food warm.
Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 2:49 AM Go to message in response to: alymar

What PPs have suggested is exactly how we did it. Had ceremony, moved guests to an area where they could mingle freely and have drinks/hors d'oeuvres, re-set ceremony area with tables and chairs for sit-down meal. It worked fine. Just make sure you have or hire enough people to help so it can be done fairly quickly. I think our re-setting took around 45 min., which isn't too long a cocktail hour.

preview image

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: turtle2

I definitely would hire help to do the moving and not ask your bridal party to do this. If you have the space, tables can be preset and off to one side (even screened off), so the setup can be done relatively quickly. Don't put out food until the last moment. If you are using a caterer, he/she should be able to handle this type of plan and should be able to explain to you exactly how it will be accomplished.
myra@classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine