7 Biggest Wedding Complaints

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 20

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Re: 7 Biggest Wedding Complaints
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 4:28 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Well I have heard of a friend going to a vegan relative's wedding and EVERYTHING was Vegan and none of it was tasty to anyone who is NOT vegan. SOOO that flips the "i'm not offering a veggie meal for vegetarian" argument on it's ear. As a meat eater, I'd be pissed to attend a Vegan wedding and find there were no options for me...and I am sure a vegetarian would be a little miffed by not having an option. What if they are also lactose intolerant? Or maybe they are vegan b/c they are allgeric to dairy and eggs...I'm just sayin...

I am actually not a fan of the fully stocked cocktail hour. I'm talking, passed hords, pasta stations, carving stations, cheese, bread, veggies. I know most places offer this and thats fine, I do my best to stay away from the heavy stuff. but I fill up SOOOOO fast and I always stuff myself and then I don't have room for the dinner. Usually I am SO hungry anyway, waiting from the ceremony to the cocktail hour and I fill up. This is something that isnt the brides fault but I feel like so muich money goes into a plated dinner and a lot of people dont even eat it b/c they're full from the cocktail hour. Maybe its just me--i have a small stomach :)

I've never been to a cash bar wedding and I always say this-- as long as I know ahead of time, I dont care really. I never, ever, ever have cash on me, so I'd just like to know I Need to hit the ATM . first. I do think that at least wine or beer should be open. It doesn't keep drunks from drinking though. I'd take like $40-$50 out and probably spend it all b/c it's a night out and I want to have fun. It won't deter me from drinking any less than I normally do.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Apr 6, 2010 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Here are my 7

#1 No Veggie Option--I don't feel a need to elaborate. I am tired of eating steamed veggies and side potatoes.

#2 Overly Remote Venues-- I went to a wedding once that was a fair distance from our house. It was in a very remote location and while the location (at a friend's farm in a pasture) was absolutely gorgeous--it was about an hour away from the nearest hotel. We ended up driving the two hours back to my place.

#3 Too Many Speeches-- I vented about this in a thread probably about last month--about my worst wedding experience ever. At the wedding there was 3 1/2 hours of speeches and 'performances'--piano playing, singing, choreographed dances, etc. where we had to sit at our tables without any food for the entire duration. Finally we were served dinner after almost 4 hours--and of course there was no veggie option (see complaint #1)

#4 The Bouquet Toss-- I am with Art on this one--it's fine--as long as you are not forced. The one time I was okay with being forced into standing there to catch the bouquet was when it was a 'set up'--the bride's brother (both are my cousins) was going to propose to his girlfriend at the reception. She loves the bouquet toss. So they had it set up so that we would all pose as 'wannabe catchers' (we made sure that all the girls were aware--trust me it wasn't easy) and she caught the bouquet and when she turned around he was on his knee right behind her. It was corny. Other than that, whenever I have been dragged up there I have just awkwardly stood to the side and felt a tad moronic.

#5 Bride & Groom Ignoring Their Guests-- Um, didn't you want us there with you on your wedding day? Or were we just invited for presents? I have been to a couple of wedding where there was no receiving line and there was absolutely no way to get a word in to the bride or groom. They would spend their evenings with their bridal parties and maybe their family--they would eat with them, drin with them, dance with them, etc. I understand maybe not being able to get to say 'hello' to everybody but I mean--at least try! In these circumstances they made no efforts whatsoever to say hello to anybody and in one circumstance a bride actually waved my best friend off when she went to say congratulations. She was dancing with her bridesmaids and my friend went up and the bride glanced at her for half a second said 'thanks' and basically shushed her away. Rude.

#6 Treating Guests Unequally-- I went to a wedding where the bridal party got champagne with strawberries for the toast and the guests just toasted with whatever drink they had in their hand. I've heard of situations on these threads where the bridal party gets china and silverware and the guests get paper plates and plastic cutlery. I've heard stories of where the bridal party gets steak while the guests get chicken. Not cool.

#7 The Slideshow-- Okay, maybe if it's short--or maybe if there is a slideshow that plays in the background while the reception is raging. However, I hate the 'Let's stop and look at pictures of the bride and groom growing up and watch their journey together for ten minutes alongside their sappy song!' It always reminds me of that sappy moment at middle school graduation where they do a slideshow of the graduating class along to 'Friends Forever' by Vitamin C. As we go on, we remember, all the times, we had together. And as our lives change, from whatever, we will still be, friends forever.

KandiceSteph Posts : 1 Registered: 9/11/08
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Agreed. People are way too uptight. You follow the rules all day, in fact you follow the rules throughout the entire wedding planning process. If you can't have a little fun then what's the point? Sure you want romane and affection, but don't you want a little laughter and light-heartedness too? I guess I don't get it. Your wedding is not only about making promises, but it's about creating memories as well. How well are you going to remember your wedding if everything is so perfect and planned out? You'll look back and remember the idea of your perfect day, but nothing specific that actually happened. Why not create some memories?

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Re #7 The Slideshow--

Really??? I LOVE the slideshows, or the weddings that have pictures all around the decor of them growing up, then with their new love. For people that don't know the guests too well, dates of frineds and families, it's a nice little way to get a glimpse of them and perhaps lead to some conversation starters.. ie: i didn't know that you scuba dive, or I went to that same campground as a kid etc.

However, my SO's little sister is getting married this summer and her SO said he definately does not want a slide show. So, yes, I know not everybody is a fan.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 1:49 PM Go to message in response to: Beeble

A couple of tips for the slideshow:

1) keep it short. 5 minutes, max.

2) include pics not just of you and him, but of you or he with as many of your wedding guests as possible. People appreciate seing pics of themselves.

We did a slideshow which we showed for our RD. It was about 4 minutes, and we made it a point to include pictures of us over the years with various members of the wedding party -- that was really important to me, to show how they all helped bring us to eachother. It played at our wedding during our cocktail hour, on a loop for anyone who wanted to see it as they were walking by.

A long-ish slide show in the middle of a wedding where there is no point would bug me, too, unless it was done exceptionally well.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Ms. D,

both your points that you made for your slideshow are exactly when I am okay with it.

If it's short (4 minutes is totally acceptable) and then later when it just played on a loop for people to watch.

I also like that you included other people in it as well. I really don't want to see 100 photos of just two people. Even if I'm not in the photo--I find slideshows that just include the couple to be narcissistic.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine