What do you want in a wedding photographer?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1

sammichjojo Posts : 1 Registered: 4/2/10
What do you want in a wedding photographer?
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 5:08 PM

What are you ladies looking for in a photographer? Is your main concern your budget or the kind of photos you want? Do you care about having a photo album? Is your photographer one of your main expenses or an after thought? What would you like to spend on a photographer?

I am getting married in August and my photographer was probably the most important choice in my planning. I want beautiful and creative pictures that will be great memories. I didn't want just anyone taking them because I didn't want them just to be boring or horrible pictures.

How do you feel about photography? I'm specifically wondering about brides in the san jose/san francisco/northern cali area.. BUT I would love to hear responses from any and all brides, no matter the location!

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Re: What do you want in a wedding photographer?
Posted: Apr 2, 2010 11:08 PM Go to message in response to: sammichjojo

I love good photography. (I'm in SoCal but I'm answering anyway.)

What are you ladies looking for in a photographer? Is your main concern your budget or the kind of photos you want? Do you care about having a photo album? Is your photographer one of your main expenses or an after thought? What would you like to spend on a photographer?

I wanted a photographer who'd be good at both journalistic-type shots and posed shots, but the journalistic ones were especially important to me. I think (though I'm guessing here--I'm no professional photographer) that it's easier to take good posed shots than good journalistic shots, so if you want the good journalistic type, you should make that the focus in your search.

We paid a higher price than other photographers we interviewed--$3500--but we were impressed with her work, my parents offered to pay, AND she had shot a lot of weddings at our particular venue, so we knew she'd be very familiar with the lighting there, conditions, good backdrops, etc. I would have preferred to spend around $2500.

In her price she included a CD and a proof book, a nice paperback book of the best 700-800 shots she took on our wedding day. She also puts together beautiful hardcover albums from a select 20 or so photos that she helps you choose, but for an additional cost.

So far, we haven't felt the need for one of her actual albums. We love our proof book, and for a teeny fraction of her album price, I could buy a nice album at Aaron Brothers and fill it with photos I print from her CD through Snapfish.

preview image

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine