where can I find an inexpensive yet classy venue?

Online Users: 1,249 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

glamgirlee Posts : 1 Registered: 1/25/10
where can I find an inexpensive yet classy venue?
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 11:39 PM

help!! where can i find an enexpensive venue when your ceremony and reception can be hosted at. we are looking to spend under a thousand for 100 guests.

xoxo brandi

Kissbrandi

klpeltie Posts : 7 Registered: 2/16/10
Re: where can I find an inexpensive yet classy venue?
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: glamgirlee

ooo...under a thousand? well a venue cost like $500+ just to rent.... maybe like a VFW or Wolverines club and then hire a caterer. Or have a backyard reception.

---

Kara

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 8:28 AM Go to message in response to: glamgirlee

GlamGirl, I am very sorry to be the one to have to say this. It is, quite honestly, impossible to have a wedding on a $1,000 dollar budget, if you plan on including 100 people in the equation.

Here are your options:

A) Have a small, intimate ceremony between you & your FH, with only the officiant and your witnesses present. Your wedding license (in Ohio, correct?) will run you about $50 dollars. So, that leaves you $950 to spend on a dress for yourself, a suit for FH, the officiant's fee, and securing a place to have the ceremony. Have a delayed reception (you can read all about those anywhere on this forum, everyone has an opinion on them) sometime in the future, when you can afford to.

B) Get married at your local courthouse, and have a party "reception" at your home. Subtract $50 dollars from your budget for that wedding license, again. From what I've seen/heard, judges usually do not charge to officiate a ceremony, so that may be an advantage for you. However, your 100 guests will not be able to attend this ceremony, but that doesn't mean that you can't still have a get together at your home afterwards! So, that leaves you $950 for a dress for yourself, a suit for FH, and the food/decorations at home to feed the 100 people you intend to invite.

C) Postpone the wedding, and every month take $100 dollars (or whatever amount you and FH decide upon), and set it aside for the wedding budget. That may not seem like much, but after 1 year, that gives you $1200 dollars more to your budget. You've more than doubled your original budget, in just twelve months! That also leaves you time to plan, time to hunt for bargains on dresses & venues, and plan a wedding that is more suited to your style.

Ways to save money on your budget:

• Wear a dress you already own, or borrow one from a friend/family member. ("Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue", remember?) FH can wear a suit he already owns, as well. Or, you could go a more casual route, and have FH wear a pair of nice pants, and a white button down shirt. You can wear a cute cocktail dress. Nothing crazily formal, but still looks well put together.

• Craigslist, eBay, Etsy, garage sales, flea markets, and thrift stores are going to become your best friend. Don't be afraid to hunt for those bargains, you will be amazed at some of the amazing things you can find, despite a very limited budget.

• Food is going to be incredibly tricky, with one hundred people to feed. But it is manageable. I've done it. You could do a nice cocktail party, with simple hors d'oeuvres. You could have a good, old fashioned, family style barbeque, with hotdogs, cheeseburgers, and all of the other comfort foods that all people love. You could have a punch & cake "reception", where you serve your guests wedding cake and drinks. There are many different ways you can try to spin this. My only request? Please, please, please, please, for the love of God, pleeeease, do not do a potluck reception (unless the 100 people you are inviting are all family, and this is a normal occurence with your family). I've seen so many brides (on this forum, and in real life) go into it thinking "Oh, it'll save so much money, and it will be wonderful having my friends all bring a small dish. We'll have all this yummy food, that everyone will like, and everyone will get to be a part of it," but in the end, they are criticized for being incredibly tacky, and expecting the guests to "throw the party for them". So, again, let me stress this: unless your family does potlucks as a traditional thing for family get togethers, do not have a potluck reception. That being said, don't be afraid to ask family & close friends for help, if you're going to be cooking all this food yourself. Family & friends like to be included in the festivities, but not taken advantage of.

Best of luck, whatever you choose to do!

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 2:27 PM Go to message in response to: glamgirlee

I think she means a venue for under $1000 and can accomodate 100 guests.

Unfortunately I don't live in Ohio or know where in Ohio you're looking.

You should post a more specific area.

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: Lemoncakeface

Even if the OP is looking to spend $1,000 on the venue, she's in trouble, unless she's really willing to compromise.

Most venues charge between $15 and $50 dollars per head for catering, which would already put the OP over her budget, and that doesn't even factor in her actual rental fee, cake cutting fees (if the venue has them, which the majority in the mid-western area do), bar, etc. She's either going to need to cut down on the guest list, or find a cheaper venue that will charge her a flat rental fee, and then allow her to bring in her own booze, food, tables, chairs, decorations, and entertainment. ((Which could still put her over budget, if she doesn't shop around for good deals. And I mean really shop around.))

It's not impossible. But it's going to require a lot of effort to swing this, and a lot of penny pinching.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: glamgirlee

Dear Brandi,

Under $1000? 100 guests? That's $10/guest.

When was the last time you had a decent meal in a restaurant for less than $10, including tax and tip?

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

AOTB, you took the words right out of my mouth.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 7:06 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Aunt,

I went to type basically that earlier and it turned out to be rambly.
Way to express exactly what I wanted to say in one clear and concise statement.

OP--I have to agree with Aunt and Van.

You can't find any venues because there aren't any out there that fit your guest list/budget.

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 8:58 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Brighter,

Yeah, I really didn't want to get too far into a rant, when it came to my answers, but I've seen this scenario way too many times to even begin to keep the answers short.

AOTB said it best. $10 bucks these days will buy you a Hot N' Ready pizza from Little Caesar's, with a 2 liter coke, and an order of Crazy Bread. ((Wow, it's scary how I know that...)) But most people don't want Little Caesar's catering their wedding.

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 9:19 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Does Little C's provide napkins?

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 9:44 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Indeed they do. Paper napkins, with the Little Caesar's logo on them. *;)

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 10:08 AM Go to message in response to: VšnTillBruden

Perfect.

I wasn't concerned about plates or cups because the box can act as the plate and the bottle is an appropriate drinking vessel. I was just concerned about napkins. Crazy bread can get a little crazy after all.

Sounds like a party has been catered!

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 10:19 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Hahaha, Brighter, you just made my day. *:P

myras Posts : 396 Registered: 2/26/10
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 1:13 PM Go to message in response to: glamgirlee

OP, you might have to cut down that guest list if you want to do it for that price, so consider inviting close family and friends only--that means, no children, no co-workers, no out of town relatives, nobody you haven't seen in, say, more than a year, etc.

Do you have somebody that would be willing to let you use a nice home/ backyard/ apartment? You could do a cocktail party, barbecue, "Just Desserts" reception, afternoon tea, and still have it be elegant and intimate. My own wedding was a cocktail party for around 50 people, held in the gorgeous apartment of the people who introduced me to my DH. Sometimes, a local park has very low use fees, especially for local residents, if you should opt for an outdoor, garden-wedding event. Plan on keeping it very casual, but still elegant. If you do a tea, breakfast, or dessert party, you don't even need to serve alcohol. You will save on everything from food to clothing if you have a casual event.Good luck with planning.

myra@classysassyweddings.com

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: glamgirlee

http://www.eventective.com/USA/Ohio/Party-Reunions.html

a list of over 1000 party venues

good luck

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine