chubby fingers? :(

Online Users: 1,337 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

scartybeevens Posts : 4 Registered: 10/28/09
chubby fingers? :(
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 1:04 PM

Hey everyone!

So i am new to Brides.com, and i am still waiting (patiently?) for that ring! I am a pretty small girl, 5' tall, but unfortunatley thanks to genetics i have short chubby fingers. I researched different ways to slim them down, but the general consensus seems to be losing weight, which isn't working for me. Since my BF and I have started wedding/engagement-talk, I have been worrying about my fingers. Once i have an e-ring, I know my fingers will be getting alot of attention. I don't usually wear rings, and i am so paranoid that when the bf proposes, the ring won't fit, or it will just draw attention to my fat fingers. Any suggestions on ring styles that look good on short thick fingers? I feel strongly about having my BF pick out the ring, and I want to be surprised, so i dont know what to do. I am afraid that if i try to give him suggestions of styles that may look good on my fingers, he will take it as me pressuring him, which I dont want to do. Has anyone else had similar issues? Please help!!!

"And that's what love is, when your hindsight's twenty-twenty, and you still wouldn't change a thing"

-Jodi Picoult (The Pact)

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Re: chubby fingers? :(
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: scartybeevens

I think you're worrying over nothing. Never in my life have I looked at someone's ring and thought twice about how their fingers looked. You're the only one who might look at your ring enough and overanalyze it to think it looks bad on your hand. Nobody else will even notice or care about your fingers, so I wouldn't worry about it.

A true story, to make you feel better: A couple weeks ago, a coworker and I were admiring another coworker's ring, which was a really cool-looking large fashion piece. The non-ring wearing woman commented that it must be nice to be able to wear rings. I asked what she meant, because as far as I was aware, anybody who has fingers is capable of wearing rings. She went on to explain that she was very short fingers and all rings look bad on her hands because of the short distance between knuckles on her fingers. Even after she showed us her hands and pointed out how different they were from our hands (which was imperceptible), my other coworker and I thought she was nuts. That goes to show that you will notice things about your own body that nobody else will ever pick up on (or care about, if they do notice). Don't worry about it. I'm sure whatever ring your BF picks will look lovely.

But if you still want opinions, here's mine: Personally, I don't like the look of big bling on small hands. In general, I think simple jewelry looks best on most people, but that's my personal preference.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

scartybeevens Posts : 4 Registered: 10/28/09
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Thanks ArtBride, that does make me feel better. I guess since I am self conscious about it, i am over-thinking it. Thanks a bunch! (and i prefer simple jewelry/rings too!)

"And that's what love is, when your hindsight's twenty-twenty, and you still wouldn't change a thing"

-Jodi Picoult (The Pact)

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 10:29 AM Go to message in response to: scartybeevens

I wish I could get finger lipo-suction.

I hate my fingers :(

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 10:43 AM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

My fingers aren't fat but my knuckle is big from having broken my finger ages ago. There is lump that my ring has to fit over. it sucks because my ring has to be a size bigger to fit over the freak knuckle but then is lose and keeps spinning around on my finger.

Point being unless you a hand model there are no perfect fingers.
wedding tickers

StarlitHolly Posts : 47 Registered: 2/23/10
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 7:31 PM Go to message in response to: starfish701

I have short, square hands - and funnily enough, I get complemented on my rings the most when I wear large ones!
But if you're worried about it - give subtle hints about which ring style you prefer. Which means trying some e-ring type rings on and getting an idea of what you like!
But like ArtBride said - you are probably the only one who will notice your fingers! Everyone else will be admiring your lovely ring.

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ the world is made of faith and trust and pixie dust ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 

21. Canadian. Living in Hawaii. Stay-At-Home Wife.

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 12:01 PM Go to message in response to: StarlitHolly

Oh man oh man. I am self conscious about my fingers and I have a few more things that make it a more significant issue than you missy. I also not only have short and stumpie fingers but I have a fuzed wrist wrist a scar that goes halfway into the top of my hand.

Excuse me being in bed and the poor quality of the photo, I don't have any pics of this except for that one I took directly from my phone. Copy and paste into a new window:

http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/31385/2880550530101961236S600x600Q85.jpg

You know, it really doesn't matter what the ring looks like. There is no rule or special things to consider when fitting a ring to a finger because everyone's opinion is different. Whatever your fiance to be chooses, will be the most beautiful and special ring and you know what, thats all that matters.

riahbell Posts : 1 Registered: 6/10/09
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 1:50 AM Go to message in response to: scartybeevens

When it comes down to it, your eyes will be so full of tears that you wont even see your fingers :] But as for later, it's all relative. I have man hands, so enjoy your little ones :]

BlueBoxBlueShoes Posts : 49 Registered: 2/15/10
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 7:20 PM Go to message in response to: scartybeevens

I've dropped a ring size from boxing. Seriously. If you want to lose lots of weight (very quickly) find a boxing gym and look into a personal trainer that will not only teach you to box but how to gain muscle which will cause your body to burn more calories (even when you aren't exercising). I can't wear any of my nice cocktail rings or diamond bands in a size 4. They fall off. I'm going to wait a few more months of boxing and then finally take all of my rings in to be resized. My BF knows that my current ring size is a 3-3.25 and that I will need the ring sized before presented with it because otherwise, I won't be able to wear it!

I think the Tiffany Lucida collection is perfect for women with larger hands or fingers. It didn't look to scale on me at all, since the band is thicker. I also think emerald cuts look awesome because they elongate the hand.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine