What is the rudest thing you have experienced

Online Users: 1,356 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 45

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Re: What is the rudest thing you have experienced
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

A couple things that I found really rude so far, one was someone telling me how they hope they are on my guestlist, but I think everyone is experiencing that, unfortunately.

The second was this bridal salon. The first time I went there just to see if they had what I was looking for, the girl told me how that style "is beautiful but not if you're petite" (I'm petitie). Then my friend went to that place to look at dresses, and I went with. We were talking about ivory and white dresses, and when the sales person overheard us say my dress is white she looked at me and said "if your consultant was any good she would've told you to get ivory because of your skin tone". These comments were both made in the snottiest, stuck up tones as well. I looked at her and said "No, I WANTED white". Then she started telling me how pretty white would look on me. It's all good, they didn't get my business!

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Wow, Aunt. The whole last name thing....just, wow. Guess there are a few people out there who've never even heard of feminism. Or maybe they have but they also believe it will be the downfall of our country.

That reminds me of a couple of incidences that have happened since I got pregnant. Nothing rude, but my internal reaction has just been "Really?!" We're not finding out the baby's sex ahead of time, and I mentioned to a co-worker that DH had just spent the weekend painting the baby's room. The co-worker said, "But you're not finding out the sex, right? So how did you know what color to paint it?" Really?! Then a neighbor a couple of days ago asked us about the sex, and when we said it's a surprise, he said, "Then how did you know what to buy?"

I really don't have much to complain about in the rude department when it came to our wedding. I did have people assume they were invited (annoying).

preview image

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 4:33 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

The rudest things for me were all committed by my MIL and SIL unforunately. The first was when I showed my invitation to my MIL and she saw the RSVP card w/ the meal choices and flipped out b/c she didn't like either item. Chicken or fish. I knew this going in, but they were the most cost effective options and she was only chipping in a little bit. She threw a hissy and gave us a snotty attitude the rest of the day. We even ended up ordering her her own freaking steak in the end. b/c she wouldn't let it go. THankfully DH is MUCH better in the "giving in" department these days!

About 2 weeks before the wedding, we realized we weren't going to hit our minimum headcount and asked MIL to provide us her B list and she started ticking off names of random peopple who wwre never on the list. Then SIL feels the need to get into the conversation about how she can invite all her friends! And we said NO! We actually wanted people there we or MIL knew! And then they both threw a fit and said "Fine, then we're not inviting ANYONE extra". LOL. Stupid.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 9:47 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I recently had a coworker ask if she and the rest of the staff are invited to the wedding. I've only worked there 2.5 months! I just laughed uncomfortably and said we hadn't finalized the guest list yet...

I've also had a few people excitedly ask to see the engagement ring, grab my hand, and then flatly go "Oh." and change the subject. My ring may be unusual, but you'd still think people might have an ounce of tact.

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 1:35 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

The rudest thing I experienced I actually witnessed. It was very soon after I got engaged I took an entire day to go wedding dress shopping. I went to this little shop and I was early for my appointment. I figured I could just look around. The lady was NOT happy about that. Well I was walking around when her alteration appointment came in. The dress was too small I guess and the girl was standing there looking in the mirror and the woman starts tugging on the dress. She then states to the bride, "You need to stop eating. This dress won't fit otherwise." The bride started crying! I was pissed but I thought I'd give her a chance with me. I tried on a few dresses and didn't like any. I saw this one dress that was very sparkly and wanted to try it on. She said it was out of my budget and to not bother. Excuse me? I never told her my budget nor did I have a budget for my dress. Granted I wasn't going to spend 10 grand on a dress but this one was $2,000, which was actually what I had saved up. Needless to say I left and bought a dress somewhere else for less than half my budget with all the accessories.

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

SMGray Posts : 84 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 8:42 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

I've heard a couple of stories about people at bridal salons being rude. What is that??!! Like it's not stressful enough for a person to have to deal with all the family drama and financial stress and time consuming details of throwing a wedding, you really need a complete stranger to berate you in public. Yuck.

"And so I come, to be the one, who's always standing close to you."- Van Morrison

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 10:42 PM Go to message in response to: SMGray

I think the rudeness from bridal salons comes from bitterness, or maybe they are just stuck up biatches to begin with, but I think bitterness. Maybe they are jealous of the brides, maybe they are going through a divorce, or unhappy in their marriage. Maybe they didn't get their dream wedding. Whatever the case may be, it all boils down to the same issue, they have no people skills! The best you can do, go somewhere else, and if they call you asking when your purchasing your dress, let them have it!

This is what I'm doing to Mens Warehouse. We went there back in January, and it was clear that they just wanted our money. The guy didn't even offer any help to my FH, but was very quick to get all of our and our bridal parties info. We left because FH didn't see anything, and he said this in front of the sales guy. This was back in Jan., and to this day I still get calls from them, and alls the girls asks is if we are going to be going through them. Next time she calls and I'm able to answer, I will be answering and definitly giving her a piece of my mind!

I'm just sick of these places who act like because your getting married, you have no other option! I'm not giving business to anyone who clearly just wants my money.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 11:14 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Dear Mrs L,

"This is what I'm doing to Mens Warehouse. We went there back in January, and it was clear that they just wanted our money"

Wow, my husband LOVES Mens Warehouse. He gets all his clothes there, and really likes the place.

I recommended it to my boss, who needed a new suit for a funeral. He started at Macy's, but wasn't happy. He went to the Mens Warehouse, same store as my husband, and they had the exact perfect suit, perfect fit, right off the rack. My boss was really happy with them, and has returned.

There are bitter employees everywhere, every profession.

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Aunt, As with Davids Bridal, it probably all depends on the location and the employees. When we went there, right away the salesman (or should I say sales boy) wanted FH's, mine, and our whole bridal parties info. He suggested FH to look at this catalog, but alls the salesboy cared about was filling out that damn form! In the meantime, I was walking around looking at the tuxes. I was the one asking FH about his preferences, suggesting that he look at different styles, you would've thought I was the sales associate, and I know NOTHING about tuxes! The only time the salesboy mentioned anything about the tuxes was when I asked something. Like I said, he just cared about filling out that form. Finally after a bit, FH said to me (infront of salesboy) that he didn't like anything he saw in the catalog. Salesboy had a dissapointed look on his face, and we said Happy New Years to him (I remember now, it was New Years Day) and left.

My favorite part was when the salesboy told us how because we have such a large bridal party (he has 7 gm), he would get to rent his tux for free! I know pretty much every place does this, but it was funny how salesboy made it like FH was special in getting this deal, when on the window there was a sticker that advertised the same sale, depsite the bridal party size!

Now this girl from MW keeps calling MY cellphone (maybe she thinks I'm the one that needs the tux) leaving voicemails asking if we are going through them. 3 months later, and we left because we didn't like anything, and your calling just to ask if were going to use you guys? Just the way they were when we were there, and the tone in the vms she leaves, you can totally tell they just want the dollar. It's been very annoying, so I've decided next time I catch them calling, I'm going to pick up and first ask her why she did not get the hint, then I will go on to tell her WHY were not using them.

I guess for weddings, I have found a lot of the chain retailers just haven't been of any help, atleast to me. I know some of them can be great, but the ones around here are worthless.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:30 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

I'm with AOTB on Men's Warehouse. DH buys most of his work clothes there and they've always been great. We've been to several stores in different cities we've lived in. My dad also swears by them.

That said, we did not use them for wedding clothing. But based on the one trip I made to a David's Bridal store, I can easily believe the pushiness stories - and I think that's common for wedding businesses in general, not just MW. Despite my being very clear at the end of my appointment (and several times on the phone) that I was not buying a dress from them, David's continued calling me up until just a few days before our wedding. I laughed pretty hard when I got a phone call from a David's associate just two days before the wedding. Seriously? When I pointed this out to her, she got all flustered and gave me some crap about a lot of brides needing last-minute dresses because something went wrong. Desperately trying to hold off giggles, I asked whether it's their corporate policy to call every woman who doesn't buy from them a couple days before her wedding, in case she has problems with her non-David's dress. The girl finally admitted that she hadn't looked at the date or it wasn't in their files or something. I asked her to take me off the contact list and never heard from them again.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 8:41 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

While I was working at McDonald's a few months back a man in the drive through saw my ring. He comes right out and says "how old are you? is that really an engagement ring?" I'm like, "yes it is." He told me to "look around because I might find someone better." I told him that there was nobody better in the world. I had no idea who this man was!

A few weeks after that I was visiting a dear friend/teacher at my old school. I was signing in at the front desk and a lady asked me the same question about my ring, telling me that I was too young blah blah blah. Then a former english teacher of mine told me that I was too young too.

If my family was honestly trying to give me good and solid advice, then that would be one thing. But from perfect strangers? No, I won't have it. It's mostly annoying because the only people who say "wait" and that "I'm too young" are those who don't know me/us. My family and close friends approve and couldn't be happier.

AmyJustin2010.Weebly.Com

Amy & Justin--Buffalo Sabres Fanatics :) 

chfsgrl Posts : 36 Registered: 1/6/10
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: triciam

A FORMER friend of our started sending my husband dirty, and I mean out right dirty, pictures and text messages of herself....doing sexual things to herself...to his cell phone! All because she didn't want the two of us together and wanted him to be with her....and to top it off...she's been married for 10 years. Can we say TRASH?

wedding countdown

BWFrancie Posts : 70 Registered: 11/11/09
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 9:56 PM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

Wow.. that's more than rude.. that is a butt-kickin' waitin' to happen! YIKES!

http://www.bride-whisperer.com

Follow me on Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/BrideWhispering

Follow my Fan Page on FaceBook:  The Bride Whisperer

BWFrancie Posts : 70 Registered: 11/11/09
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 10:05 PM Go to message in response to: SMGray

I'm not sure if everyone has a "Talbots" or if it is just a women's clothing store in some states, but it is somewhat pricy, about the same as Nordstrom. Anyway, I was having a professional photo shoot before Christmas for the magazine I was featured in. I went into Talbots to buy a suit, and was prepared to pay $300 or $400.. whatever. I wanted to look nice. But I had on jeans, a knit sweater, and no makeup. The sales ladies would not even acknowledge me. I could actually feel their eyes glaring at me, as if to say, "What are you doing in here?" I was so upset when I left. I decided to stop at a consignment shop on the way home, thinking I would probably end up going to the mall the next day. Well, I found a brand new pink suit, with $200 tags...never worn for $40! The ladies in the consignment shop were so helpful too. I was so happy!

Snotty sales people really irriate me. Look how they treated Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman"!

http://www.bride-whisperer.com

Follow me on Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/BrideWhispering

Follow my Fan Page on FaceBook:  The Bride Whisperer

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 1:03 AM Go to message in response to: BWFrancie

I almost ALWAYS get my clothes at consignment, for that reason. I won't pay the tag price, I won't pay the over price they charge, and often, you can find the never worn, for that. I do garage sales too, for the same reason. I use to live next to a network anchor, news anchor. LOVED her garage sales, and she was my size. When in law school, at the consignment store I went to, same size as one of the shoppers for nordstrom. Awesome!! Yes, the clerks in those stores are totally rude generally, just like Pretty Woman type rude. I won't let them have commission from me. :)

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine