Xavier Photography - Seattle - Worst Photographer encounter!

Online Users: 1,288 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

JGSeattle Posts : 2 Registered: 3/6/10
Xavier Photography - Seattle - Worst Photographer encounter!
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 4:28 PM

Make an informed decision before dealing with Xavier Photography!! Here is my awful & bizarre encounter:

I had a negative experience with the Owner of Xavier Photography
located in Seattle, WA back in January. He changed an appointment time
via email which I did not see until I was checking my email to see the
address of the coffee shop we were meeting at right before our
scheduled meeting time. When I called him to verify we were still
meeting at the original time, since I never responded to his emails, he
said he was expecting to meet at the later time. When I asked him why
he didn't call to change the meeting time he said something like "maybe
I should have". I told him that I thought he was unprofessional and I
did not feel comfortable working with him - and then the phone line
went dead. I had always given him the benefit of the doubt that maybe I
hit the hang up button on my phone or the line dropped (Later he freely
admits to hanging up on me b/c he knew I would be hard to work with!).
I was bummed b/c I was excited to see his portfolio and I probably
would have been a pretty easy sell.

I had all but forgotten about the guy until the morning of March, 3
when I received a VM from him at 8 AM upset about some supposed
Yelp.com posting that he accused me of writing. He ranted that the post
was untruthful, that he hung up on me because he did not want to work
with me, and that I needed to "get over it" and remove the post. 1
problem: I DID NOT WRITE THE POST.

He continued to call all morning and left another threatening VM
where he informed me that his lawyers would be contacting me and
possibly serving papers.

He also proceeded to email me:

Good morning,

I came across your yelp review this morning. I'm shocked to say the least. I offered you an amazing deal. I kindly asked you to re-schedule, meet me at noon rather than 10am. Only to give me more time to prepare for our consultation. I had to drive from Wenatchee that morning. I know for certain you get your email messages forwarded to you cell phone. Is it really that un-professional to change a meeting by a couple hours?

I wanted nothing more than to shoot your wedding and offer you an unbelievable deal. I'm sorry you found it unprofessional to ask for 2 more hours. Because of this you missed out on an amazing deal, that is not my fault or my wrong doing.

I hope you find the courage to delete that false post. Otherwise my lawyer will be contacting you very soon.

kind regards,

Owner
Xavier Photography

And text message me:

"I did nothing but try to help u. U ignored my message to
reschedule. That was ur choice. U r not a client of mine and have no
right to yelp. Tell the truth."

"I hung up on you cause I knew ud be hard to work with."

"My lawyer will be contacting u shortly, possibly to serve u papers"

Remember: I DID NOT POST ON YELP OR EVER REPLY TO HIS 4 CALLS, 2
VM'S, 3 TEXT MSGS, AND 1 EMAIL (in less than 3 hrs). This incident and
all correspondence (which I have saved) was completely unprovoked.

I created my own Yelp account and messaged the person who posted the
original negative post (we have the same first name and last initial
and therefore have the same Yelp user name) and she confirmed that he
has been harassing her as well and she took down her post b/c he
threatened legal action. Now all negative posts have been taken down
and almost all positive posts have been put up in the last few days.

Make up your own mind if you want to work with someone who has no
problem using your personal contact information in such an
inappropriate and harassing manner. He only stopped contacting me when
the police left him a voice mail. If he ever contacts me again via my
personal contact information he will be receiving a letter from MY
lawyer.

SamW Posts : 6 Registered: 2/23/10
Re: Xavier Photography - Seattle - Worst Photographer encounter!
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 1:28 AM Go to message in response to: JGSeattle

Wow. Just - wow.

I am far from the Seattle area, but thank you for sharing this horror story with us. I will definitly keep this in mind while looking at vendors.

Kind of makes you wonder how he's still in business if this same thing has happened to at least two of you, huh?

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 10:02 AM Go to message in response to: JGSeattle

I would report this to the Better Business Bureau immediatly.

http://www.bbb.org/

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

bosoxgirl Posts : 231 Registered: 2/3/10
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 10:06 AM Go to message in response to: JGSeattle

BTW, I would NOT take down your posts about this place.

if this guy doesn't want feedback on his business, then he shouldnt be a business owner!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 11:17 AM Go to message in response to: bosoxgirl

I agree, contact the BBB.
wedding tickers

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: JGSeattle

Hello,

First and foremost, congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding. Next, I'm really sorry to hear about your problems with this photographer. While I am not a lawyer, I do know the truth is a completely valid defense against any lawsuit he may file. Neither you nor the other bride should be intimidated just because somebody threatens getting a lawyer. Personally, I don't like bullies!

Now let's get back to the fun part of planning your wedding. Through some of my professional associations I do know a couple of very good photographers serving the Seattle area. I spoke to JP at AJ's Studio and he will be happy to assist you in your search for a wedding photographer. You can contact them via their website http://www.ajsstudio.com/. I wish you all the best. Please feel free to contact me should you need any additional assistance. Once again, congratulations on your upcoming wedding and welcome to Brides.com.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 7:27 PM Go to message in response to: JGSeattle

I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience with this photographer, but if he's already threatened legal action because of one negative review, is it really wise to rant about him on here? Whether the first review was you or not, he won't have a hard time identifying this one as you. And with this post as evidence, he could probably argue that the first one was also you. That's if he actually got a lawyer and followed through with his threats - but personally, I think this guy just sounds like a bully who threatens legal action and never follows through. Are you sure he's not a 14-year old boy? This whole thing sounds incredibly juvenile.

In any case, it's worth contacting the BBB. Personally, I think you overreacted about him changing the time of the meeting. It's inconvenient, but not the end of the world. It's fairly reasonable to contact someone via email and expect that they will get the message, so I don't think it's quite fair to fault him for assuming you'd get the message. His behavior surrounding the yelp review, especially the text messages, is very unprofessional, however - THAT is what you should be reporting to the BBB, not the crap about changing the meeting. If I was a potential future client, I wouldn't be overly concerned about seeing a review that said that the guy changed a meeting time, but I WOULD be pretty concerned about seeing a report of harassment. Go ahead and report him - but don't be surprised if you actually see something from a lawyer about THIS post. This guy sounds like the type who would google his own name every so often to see what people are saying about him, which is probably how he found the yelp post. I'm sure he'll see this one, too, and then you'll find out whether the legal action was a bluff or a legitimate threat.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

JGSeattle Posts : 2 Registered: 3/6/10
Posted: Mar 9, 2010 10:38 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Hi,

Thanks for the all of the feedback!

Just to clarify: I am not scared at all that this guy has any basis to file legal action against me. He doesn't - there is a great thing about the USA - it's called Free Speech. It's true, I have proof, so his lawyer would laugh in his face - or take his money and laugh his way to the bank. Everything coming out of his mouth is & was a bunch of BS. The same day that the harassment began, I reported him to the police and the BBB. He's going to have to learn somehow that there are consequences for treating people this way. I didn't do anything the first time he hung up one me, but start harassing me, I'm going to tell a few people.

The story does get a bit better (or more "juvenile"): I decided to post my experience on his Yelp listing on Sunday and almost immediately I recieve an email from him - a semi "apology" email. Except he sent me the email from one of the (probably fake) accounts he used to write a positive review about himsef. I sent all of it to the Yelp legal team and now almost all of the positive posts have been deleted.

It really is a bizarre experience. No wonder "bridezilla" is a term! haha :)

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 2:25 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

There are a couple of thoughts I'd like to address. First and foremost, it was actually unprofessional of the photographer to expect the appointment time was changes WITHOUT receiving confirmation of the change from the bride. Many years ago, in one of my basic computer engineering classes taught to freshmen, we were taught to never depend upon the absence of a signal to trigger an event. In otherwords, don't assume. The photographer assumed the bride had not only received his message but also agreed with the time change. The bride very well could have had another appointment at that time. Appointments should be confirmed. Failure to do so is unprofessional.

Next, I have to tell you, the BBB will do nothing with any complaints of this type against the photographer. As I have previously mentioned, the vendor is given a chance to reply and then there are a series of rebuttals. The BBB is looking for two things. First they want to make sure a vendor responds to a complaint. Next they want to make sure the vendor is making an effort to resolve the problem. In this case, the photographer has to say it was a misunderstanding and they apologized. The photographer can even state he was not the cause of the harrassment. It becomes a he said, she said type of deal. As long as the vendor responds to the BBB, the case will be closed as resolved and will not affect the vendor's ratings. In addition, the public is not allowed to actually see the complaints filed against a vendor. The report will just state a complaint was made and the disposition of the complaint.

Furthermore, the best way to get the word out, is forums like this. But you do have to speak the truth. There are two types of speech which are protected by the 1st Amendment. The truth is protected and your personal opinion as long as you make it clear it is your opinion. Years ago, I bought a house from a shady developer. I had a real hard time getting him to fix warranty problems until I put a sign in my window saying "In my opinion don't buy a XYZ horror home." It was amazing how quickly my repairs were completed. Forums like this are a great way to get the word out about the experiences you've had with a vendor. As long as you are truthful and clearly state your opinion, you have nothing to worry about. The only time you will get in trouble is when you lie or defame somebody. In this case, I believe JG is on firm ground. After she had the police contact this vendor regarding his behavior I doubt he will be making trouble for her. Should he decide to do so, it would just give her more ammo and create more negative publicity for him.

Finally, FYI, there is no reason to continually google your name. You can create google alerts to notify you when specific key words are found on a web page. I have several set up based on my name and company name. I've actually been notified within hours of when my nephew made the news (for placing 3rd in the sectional track meet) back in New York, six hundred miles from where I live. Google alerts are a great way to keep up on specific terms that interest you.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

I would post something on angies list. http://www.angieslist.com/

wedding tickers

braynaysmom Posts : 1 Registered: 3/10/10
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: JGSeattle

i have had an experience with a wedding "photographer lately, but not concerning my wedding, as it was 7 years ago. i was wondering if anyone knew how to contact brides magazine via telephone? this "photographer" is horribly unprofessional and has signed me up to receive issues of brides magazines. i know for a fact she is the one who signed me up because she had motives for doing so. is it illegal for someone to pose as me and sign me up for stuff? i would like to unsubscribe myself and find out the email address that the subscription order was linked to. any help is greatly appreciated.

uhh Posts : 3 Registered: 3/16/10
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: starfish701

my, this is not a nice story to tell. something could've been a big help. i agree with the statements above.

Edited by: uhh on Mar 16, 2010 6:04 PM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine