Honeymoon Activity Question

Online Users: 1,341 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 14

SHC2010 Posts : 14 Registered: 7/29/09
Honeymoon Activity Question
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 9:15 PM

I'm starting to plan our honeymoon for this August, and I have a question for those of you who are already married and waited to have sex until your honeymoon, or anyone else who has thoughts and wants to weigh in.

We're looking to go to a b&b in Western VA. I was thinking Luray Caverns, Monticello, Shenandoah Nat'l park are in the area so that should keep us busy since going to each of those places would take a full day. We're staying for a week, but I figured we may not even get out three full days to do those things. My FH is adamant that we have 5-6 things planned to do on our honeymoon, and big things, not just we should take a walk in the gardens at the b&b. He thinks we'll want to get up in the morning and go somewhere all day or we'll be bored sitting around "doing nothing." From what I've heard from friends couples who go on their honeymoon as virgins don't do a whole lot outside of their room. I figured we'd do somethings, but I don't want to have a planned activity every day, all day.

So all that to ask, how much do you all do on your honeymoon? Did you go out alot and 'sightsee' and such or spend alot of time in your room? Is 3 day long ventures going to be enough to keep us occupied?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Honeymoon Activity Question
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

Dear SHC,

There's nothing wrong with having a bunch of activities planned, so long as you don't put down deposits and commit to those activities.

Sure, you've got national parks, etc., nearby. Great. If you feel like going, then go. If not, then don't.

The best suggestion is to go someplace where the outside activities are optional and cost you nothing should you just decide to stay in.

This would be true whether or not you have been sexually active or not. Do what you feel like doing at the time.

pitdigger Posts : 37 Registered: 10/31/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 10:17 PM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

I agree with AOTB about having activities nearby that you pay for when you get there instead of prepaying. And I think western/central VA is a great place to have that kind of flexability (but growing up in VA, I think I'm biased). There's the stuff you mentioned, but Charlottesville is nice just for a walk around and has some neat antique shops, Montpelier (James Madison's home) is nearby as well and there are a number of wineries in that area, including one on the same property as some really cool house ruins you can tour (Barboursville), so there's a lot of stuff to do that you can just kind of pick up and go or not depending on your mood that day.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 8:52 AM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

My DH and I knew where we were going on our honeymoon, but made no specific plans as to what to do when there. While driving into the state, we stopped at the welcome center. Each of us went through and picked up flyers/brochures/coupons for activities we were interested in (individually). Then we looked at what we had to see what we had BOTH picked up and decided that those were priority items. We also looked at what each other had that we didn't (afterall, it might not have been a matter of "god, who would want to do THAT!?" but "hey, where did you find that?!")

I'd been to the Smokey Mountains many times. As has my parents. Their comments as they saw pictures and descriptions of what we did, was that they didn't even know those things were there.

We went to Gatlinburg and walked around. We hit a Ripley's thing. We took in a Ghost Tour. We went to a cave. We did a dinner theatre (I won on "Murder on American Idle" Of course, I won something that was on BOTH of our "Good god! What kind of a nut would want to do THAT!? EEEE" <SkyTram Bucket thing on a wire up to OberGatlinburg. I don't do those things, not even at Disney when they had them. And I certainly haven't touched them since MacGyver!> So we gave our prize to another couple, who were excited. Freaks! <G>). We went minature golfing. We went shopping.

We had a couple of days planned to just relax and not do anything. We did a trash the dress session since DH loves to take pictures.

We winged the entire thing, based on what we felt like doing on any given day, and it was absolutely perfect and relaxing.

Misty

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 9:46 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Cat: I laughed out loud when you referenced going to Ober Gatlinburg. That's the same kind of reaction my mom has about it, but its one of my favorite places to go when I'm in the area. (I love to go ice skating so I enjoy going up there to ice skate and do their other winter activities). But for future reference, you can drive up there if you are ever in Gatlinburg again ;). It is my goal to get my mom on that tram, she is terrified of heights haha.

But to answer the OP's question. For our honeymoon, we researched things around the area that we might be interested in, but didn't put any deposits down on anything. We left the country on our honeymoon, and are unlikely to go back to that destination in the future. So I wanted to really experience the place, not just be cooped up in a room. After we paid as much as we did to fly there, we might as well actually see the area! Our resort was amazingly beautiful and large, so the first evening, we explored it and ate in one of the many restaurants and then turned back to the room to enjoy the beginning of our honeymoon. The conceirge was wonderful about giving us ideas for things to do in the area. The next day we just enjoyed being together and enjoyed our resort. After that, we were kind of ready to venture out, so of our 6 full days there, we kind of planned something for every other day, whether it was something big or small. On our planned days, once we went to see some of the Mayan Ruins, which was an all day thing. One day we went to check out a nearby town and did some shopping there. One evening we went to a dinner & show. The other days we just enjoyed being together and lazed around the resort & beach!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

We weren't virgins on our honeymoon, but we still didn't feel like leaving the hotel very much. Even when we felt like leaving the room, we generally just went to the pool or the hotel bar for cocktails. Other than looking for restaurants, I believe we only left the hotel once or twice. It was a nice, relaxing trip.

I would be more concerned about having enough non-sex activities if I WAS a virgin, however. If you've never had sex before, you're going to be sore and probably won't have the stamina for marathon sex five days in a row. But that's just my opinion, based on what I can remember of my first few times.

That said, it's probably a good idea to know what's in the area, in case you feel like doing something. You do not HAVE to do everything in the area, but it's a good idea to know what's available in case you want to.

For your location, I would look into VA wineries. There are several wineries in that area, and you'd have fun visiting them and sampling the local wine. Find your favorite, buy a case of it, and start a tradition of drinking 'honeymoon wine' from that winery every year for your anniversary. If you're into history, check out Civil War battlefields and museums within driving distance. Monticello is very cool, and there are other plantation houses for tour within a reasonable driving distance. And you could spend an entire week hiking in the Shenandoah Park, especially if it's autumn and the leaves are pretty. I think you'll find plenty to do in that area, if you do feel like leaving the b&b.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Jream Posts : 157 Registered: 7/29/08
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 11:25 PM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

I would pick one or two things that you guys really really want to do, and make sure you do at least those things. You can plan a few other things as well, but just make sure you guys don't get so bent on doing them that you feel guilty if you start enjoying the confines of your bedroom more than the local sights.

My husband and I waited, which actually caused some problems--apparently he has a couple problems he didn't know about--but for the most part we went out during the day and didn't care too much about seeing the sights, even though I had a bunch of stuff planned. Most of all, it was nice to just not have any responsibilities. But don't expect to be making love 24-7 too... it'll take some getting used to even if you aren't both virgins. Either way, just go with the flow and do what makes you both feel comfortable. Who knows, you might get a little stir crazy being inside all the time.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 12:04 AM Go to message in response to: Jream

I agree with PPs who suggested that you maybe make plans, but not put down deposits on anything.

My husband and I weren't virgins, but I love the way we planned our week-long honeymoon. For each of the first 3 or 4 days, we planned half-day (or a little more) excursions. For the last 3 days we stayed at a hotel on the beach and planned nothing ahead of time. For part of those last 3 days, we just hung out by the beach, which was awesome, but when we got the urge to sight-see we were able to plan things on the spur of the moment.

So the first half was full of activity and the last half was slower paced, which I thought was the perfect way to end the honeymoon.

preview image

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 7, 2010 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

Dear SHC,

I'll add this.

There's no way to predict what your body's reaction to loss of your virginity will be. Every woman is different. Some bleed a lot, others not at all. Some women are sore and tender, others don't feel a thing.

It would be difficult for your gynecologist to predict how you will feel, even after having examined you in his/her office. It is impossible for strangers on the internet to predict.

My earlier advice stands. Look around for various activities that you both might find interesting, but don't put down any non-refundable deposits. Get married, get to the hotel, get through your wedding night, then see how you both feel about going out the next day, then the next. Take it as it comes.

StarlitHolly Posts : 47 Registered: 2/23/10
Posted: Mar 10, 2010 3:43 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Look around for various activities that you both might find
interesting, but don't put down any non-refundable deposits. Get
married, get to the hotel, get through your wedding night, then see how
you both feel about going out the next day, then the next. Take it as
it comes.

This is great advice!
As far as my experience goes, well... I guess the lead-up to my wedding week was more stressful than I let on - Aunt Flo came the day of my wedding. Not such awesome timing. And completely unexepected, since I'd been taking birth control and had been (and have since) been visited by Aunt Flo on the same day of the month for 3 or 4 months!
Anyway, dH and I didn't have activities planned or anything, but since it was Christmas week and his parents and siblings were staying at my parents' home, and there were out-of-town friends visiting as well, and extended family... And, I was leaving the country soon - well, we were pretty busy.
Not doing what we wanted to be doing maybe, but busy!

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ the world is made of faith and trust and pixie dust ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 

21. Canadian. Living in Hawaii. Stay-At-Home Wife.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: StarlitHolly

We had 5 days, and we did have one activity planned in advance, well he did. He booked the whole honeymoon and I found out at the airport where we were going. Loved it! He booked beginning scuba so that we could for sure do it, and it was half a day. But, we had already discussed that as something we both really wanted to try. Then, once there we also booked a day long tour of the black river and a waterfall, lunch was at a village plantation between the river and waterfall. It was a super fun day. Other than that, we lounged around, sat out by the beach, or by the pool, or the pool bar. And, enjoyed the meals at the restaurants there. Very relaxing, very fun, and we weren't virgins but what does that have to do with how frequently you want to have sex on your honeymoon? huh?

I would think that maybe your vacation styles are just different. I wouldhate a ton of preplanned activities, so would DH, but maybe your FH prefers vacationing that way. He's the one you'll need to work out the scheduling with. All I know is what we prefer, and, on vacation, we LOVE time in bed, virgins or not, and do not want a bunch of scheduled activities. We pick places before hand that would have what we like, and then decide when we are there, except for scuba. That we book in advance. We like to take these trips over our anniversary, or maybe a long weekend here and there. Generally, we pick somewhere beachy so I guess that lets you know what our preferred activities are. We both have hectic work schedules, family schedules, and now two grandbabies who are often over here. So, just as on our honeymoon, when we can get away, we mostly just want to relax.

If you really don't think you'll want to be doing a bunch of stuff, I suggest really talking with your FH ahead of time. That way, any compromising about your vacation styles can be completed before and not during your honeymoon.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 3:17 PM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

I dont think "honeymoon" really has anything to do with anything. You need to decide what type of vacation you want to take. One where you have things planned to do and see? Or one where you just go and decide when you get there? Yes it should be special b/c it is your honeymoon, but it's still a vacation nontheless.

Our honeymoon was a lot like Happygirl's. We had 8 days. The first 3 we sat by the pool, had drinks, swam..etc. The middle 2 days we did excursions (one full day and one half day the next day) and then the last 3 days we sat by the pool. This broke it up nicely, b/c 8 days is a lot of days in a row to do absolultely nothing!

And I am a tad offended that you are assuming that b/c you are both virgins that you are going to have way more sex than a couple who were not virgins. I dont think one has to do with the other in the slightest.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

SarahDiamond Posts : 6 Registered: 2/16/10
Posted: Apr 10, 2010 8:23 PM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

If you're going to a place that is limited in the way of activities you want to create an activity itinerary before you go. Do a little research, see what other people typically do when they go there.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

Save up to 28% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $236.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sheath-sweetheart-neckline-strapless-chiffon-wedding-dress-style-marion-p-33799.html

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 8:14 AM Go to message in response to: SHC2010

A-line White One Long Sleeve Open Back Knee-length Prom Dress With Applique
Save up to 24% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $98.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-white-one-long-sleeve-open-back-kneelength-prom-dress-with-applique-p-32118.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine