Self consciousness

Online Users: 1,240 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

scartybeevens Posts : 4 Registered: 10/28/09
Self consciousness
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 12:55 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Brides.com, i currently belong in the "waiting for a ring" category! My BF and I have been together since high school, when I danced and played sports multiple days a week. Needless to say, college was cruel to me and I put on some weight. Since I am petite (only 5') every pound makes a difference. My BF and I talk alot about our future, we know that we are going to get married eventually, but want to make sure we are financially stable first. That being said, we have agreed that a longer engagement would be do-able for both of us, which makes me think a proposal could be looming around the corner! (our anniversary is coming up--he said he is doing all the planning for this one!) I have been trying really hard to get back to my old self. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week for about an hour, and I have been eating MUCH healthier since I stopped eating dining hall food! Even though I feel much better, I haven't been seeing the results, and I fear that to get looking more like I used to (I realize I will NEVER look the same as i did in hs...) is unattainable. I just dont have the time to dedicate 2 hours a day to intense physical activity like i did during field hockey practices. Anyone got any recommendations for workout routines that aren't time-consuming but still produce results?? Thanks!

"And that's what love is, when your hindsight's twenty-twenty, and you still wouldn't change a thing"

-Jodi Picoult (The Pact)

triciam Posts : 128 Registered: 2/19/09
Re: Self consciousness
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: scartybeevens

My suggestion would be to switch your workouts up and keep your muscles guessing. If you are a member of a gym try some classes in addition to the regular work out you do. Also, don't be shy from working with weights... if you do light weight high reps it will help give you that nice toned look that you are used to. Classes that I love doing are the cycling class and yoga. I am going to try boxing also. I do the cycling and yoga once a week. I do weight training twice a week (one day a week with a trainer). Every workout I do I do 20-30 minutes additional cardio either on treadmill or eliptical. Typically I am done in an hour to an hour and a half.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: scartybeevens

I'm also a fan of the classes route.

They are fun and kick your butt.

I spin 4x a week and I do an ab class called "Ab Attack" which basically takes you through a series of ab work outs--this one is only 20 minutes--and I wouldn't be able to do one sit up more if it was longer.

Focus on both weights and cardio.

Find something that is fun for you.

If you are worried about it cutting into your social life--that's why classes are often.
I don't get to see some friends from the beginning of school that much so we go to spinning together. It's social and exercise all at the same time.

BlueBoxBlueShoes Posts : 49 Registered: 2/15/10
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 1:36 AM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

You may need to really focus on your lifestyle as a whole?

I didn't gain in college, but I gained some extra weight after. In college, I walked everywhere (didn't have a car). I kept a vegetarian (eggs and seafood) diet. I only ate dessert at fancy restaurants on date nights... no getting cookies or pound cake at the campus Starbucks. And if I did have a night of heavy binge drinking and all that jazz, I usually bar hopped and walked the entire French Quarter with friends... in high heels!

After college, I discovered how much I love cheeseburgers and I didn't walk as much. I realize that being in college means you might walk at least a couple of miles a day. You usually carry weighted bags. And you're poor so you aren't eating as much.

Now I:

1. Walk to the grocery store, if I only need 1-2 bags' worth of items.
2. Walk to cultural/educational institutions (exercise AND investing in myself)
3. Always order the "pick two" lunch combo... where I can have any sandwich I want as a HALF and then I can have a lower calorie soup or salad (with dressing on the side ALWAYS)
4. If I order an unhealthy meal out (I don't deny cravings), I don't eat all of it and I NEVER bring home unhealthy left overs.
5. If I'm in a situation for social drinking, I order a vodka with club soda and a piece of fruit.
6. Made a physical activity a hobby (boxing)
7. Clean the apartment OLD SCHOOL since that requires more physical effort
8. Take the stairs
9. Park in the farthest parking space at the mall. And you'll never get into an argument over a space!
10. ALWAYS hit the dance floor! Weddings, hotel lounges, clubs, your living room...

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 12, 2012 4:28 AM Go to message in response to: scartybeevens

Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine