undecided on wedding type.. any ideas?

Online Users: 1,255 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

newlyengd Posts : 1 Registered: 12/18/09
undecided on wedding type.. any ideas?
Posted: Jan 6, 2010 1:45 PM

I am having a hard time trying to answering the question "when are you getting married?" , when i cant even answer where i want to get married, how big a wedding i want... any ideas for a smaller wedding? Know of anyone that had a destination wedding? Would love feedback.. this is soooo stressful and i havent even started planning yet!!! Thanks

BloggingBride1212 Posts : 25 Registered: 1/11/10
Re: undecided on wedding type.. any ideas?
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 3:42 PM Go to message in response to: newlyengd

First decide how much you are willing/able to spend. That will help you decide what kind of wedding and where you should have it. Once you know how much money you have to spend you can start researching venues and comparing the cost of a local venue to a destination wedding venue. If you can afford both and are still are undecided about where to have it, talk to your family see if they would be willing to travel. HTH!

There are some good tips on getting started here: http://www.soulfulengagements.com/1/category/getting%20started/1.html
www.soulfulengagements.com

Nicnak Posts : 27 Registered: 12/26/09
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 4:40 PM Go to message in response to: BloggingBride1212

I know how you feel, I got engaged on Christmas day and that whole day EVERYONE asked us what day we picked! I was like WHOOOO wait I'm still in shock!! hahaha What we did was we knew we were goin' to have a wedding around where we live so we just sat down and thought of months we liked. Then came up with September. So then we thought about a theme that would go. I love septembers birthstone so I said it would be nice to do that blue. And we just keep going with that. We also said we wanted to do it in 2011 because this way we can save some money and have time to enjoy the engagment. Good luck and don't get stressed...I know this can be the best time of your life and also the most stressful!! :o)

Our beautiful daughter, Jaylynn!

wedding planning guide

GroomDude1 Posts : 4 Registered: 3/3/10
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: newlyengd

We had a destination wedding in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and I would totally recommend it. First, it's like a wedding and honeymoon all in one, but with your best friends and family (although you should spend a second week there to get some alone time). Second, destination weddings often cost less than close-to-home weddings (sometimes because of less guests, but we probably saved $4K-$5K by having our wedding in Mexico as opposed to Colorado, where we live).

However, before you start out, you should narrow down your destination location and then find out who in that area can help you, because you will need someone on-site to help you out (this wedding website has a great article on tips when starting to plan a destination wedding).

Best of luck...

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 10:45 PM Go to message in response to: newlyengd

1. Take a deep breath
2. Sit down with your FH and determine a wedding budget
3. Talk to FH about what's important to both of you/what you might want AND can afford, and then start planning.

Typically the most expensive part of a wedding is the reception, specifically the food and alcohol, so if you're concerned about spending less keep the guestlist small. Destination weddings aren't always cheaper, but you'll have to look check around. Good luck.

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: newlyengd

When I made my annoucnement and people asked when I was getting married, even though I knew I said we were still deciding to keep it private for awhile.

Definatly take a breathe and when people ask, just tell them that it still a work in a progress and you are just enjoying your time being engaged.

I just got engaged myself but we decided to go with a destination wedding because it was 1 easier to control the funds, 2 we wanted an extremely small wedding, 3 why not? If you have it in a tropical location you have natural decorations. 4 we wouldn't have to worry about a wedding party since our guest list is so small 5 my FH said lets just getting married in Hawaii and after thinking about it, I realized it was perfect for what we wanted and what we didn't want (my parents were pushing for a big church wedding) and agreed. As for our date - we just looked at how long we wanted to save and what worked best with his work schedule and families schedules.

If you are thinking of a destination wedding - go to a library and check out the destination weddings for dummies book, don't buy until you are sure, but there is a check list in there to find out if you are a couple for a destination wedding. But they have a quick run down of a lot of locations and you can find the right one for you and your FH. I found it easier to work with since so many of the other destination wedding books put such an empahisis on still having a large expensive wedding. DWFD is just the basics.

I am finding mine extremely easy to deal with right now...

Think about if there is anything in particular you wanted for a wedding when you thought about it growing up. Anything he ever thought about? Anything that is particularly unique about your relationship you would like to highlight. Make it uniquely yours. Do you want a large or small wedding?

I wish you luck and congratulations on the engagment!
Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

MirraUnwin Posts : 33 Registered: 7/20/09
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 7:38 AM Go to message in response to: newlyengd

Consider your priorities. Budget is a great place to start. But then how to spend that money is up to you. Is it more important to have lots of people at your wedding? The reception is going to take up about half your budget. So you can have lots of people and then maybe go simple on the meal and drinks. If you want just the nearest and dearest at your wedding, you can put the money towards something else, like a big honeymoon, an expensive dress, etc.

To answer when, consider days that are important to you and your FH. Other factors might be family and friends' schedules, the people that you have to have at your wedding. You might have to plan around them. If you're doing a destination wedding, think of the weather of the location you're going to. Skip monsoon seasons and hurricane seasons, that sort of thing. When you envision your wedding, is it warm? What's your favorite season?

I hope some of that helps. :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine