Inexpensive dresses

Online Users: 1,252 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 23

BellaCereja Posts : 3 Registered: 3/1/10
Inexpensive dresses
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 7:51 PM

I'm a new bride-to-be and I was wondering where can I start looking for wedding dresses in which I will not lose a leg and arm because of its price??

MuffinB Posts : 778 Registered: 7/13/07
Re: Inexpensive dresses
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 9:09 PM Go to message in response to: BellaCereja

It depends what your specific budget is.

Some people think 1K is too much, other people think 1K is not nearly enough. So, think about how much you want to spend and go from there.

TRACYJOHNSONBRA... Posts : 42 Registered: 2/8/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 7:21 AM Go to message in response to: BellaCereja

Two things- Watch for sales at local bridal shops. Don't overlook formal sales at local department stores. I was looking for a more informal dress when I got married last year. I paid about 60% to 75% of the original price when I bought it.

scartybeevens Posts : 4 Registered: 10/28/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 8:44 AM Go to message in response to: BellaCereja

Well i'm not sure what your budget is, everyone has different definitions of "inexpensive." That being said, you should check out David's Bridal. They have dresses in a wide range of prices, and they do offer awesome sales as well. A lot of times you can find dresses for under $500. Good Luck!

"And that's what love is, when your hindsight's twenty-twenty, and you still wouldn't change a thing"

-Jodi Picoult (The Pact)

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 10:29 AM Go to message in response to: scartybeevens

I second David's Bridal. They have $99 sales periodically. I got a dress I loved there for more than that, around $450, though alterations were extra so altogether the total was closer to $700. So keep alteration expenses in mind when you're shopping, too.

preview image

AsRealAsItGets Posts : 9 Registered: 2/13/10
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: BellaCereja

David's Bridal is a good place to start, lot of styles lots of sizes.
1- DO NOT get your alterations at David's- very over priced for POOR workmanship and they deliver the finial fitting on their schedule not yours.
2- DO NOT buy your accessories at David's not worth the money. But be prepared for a high pressured sales pitch.

FYI - if you are a tiny size or a very large size there are often additional time and costs when you go to order your dress. No one told me this, I was surprised to learn that my size 2 would take an additional 3-4 weeks because it requires a different pattern and the manf. do not start cutting the fabric until after the order because so few are purchased. I thought this was a scam until every bridal store I contacted told me the same thing!
Live and learn.
Wishing you a wonderful day!

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 12:08 PM Go to message in response to: BellaCereja

I was definitely on a budget with my dress too (didn't want to spend any more than $1000) so I went to a few bridal shops to try on dresses with my mom and a couple friends, and at one I fell in love with a dress. Unfortunately the dress was WAY out of my budget, so I figured it couldn't be. However, a week or so later I stumbled upon a website called OnceWed, and found the dress I loved so much there for $1000! Basically how the site works is women who have gotten married post their dresses on the site, and sell them for a deeply discounted price. So, you can get designer dresses for a fraction of what they would normally cost. I was super lucky in that the woman selling the dress I bought was in NYC, and so one weekend when I was in the city visiting friends, I just popped over to her apartment and got to see the dress in person and try it on. However, I've had another friend buy her dress here sight-unseen, and it also worked out great for her! I totally recommend taking a look! Good luck!!!

alymar Posts : 100 Registered: 3/2/10
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 12:32 PM Go to message in response to: BellaCereja

I am on a tight budget as well. I have been researching online and will probably start at David's. I found a dress I loved and they have it there for 400-500 for plus sizes and around 300 for non-plus sizes. They have a good range in there for prices. It may be a place to start.

Another avenue - do you know anyone who sews? There are beautiful patterns out there if you are on a really really tight budget. That is my other avenue, a close friend of mine is a beautiful seamstress and will be going with me to try on dresses, for her input and if she can do it cheaper then what I can buy whatever dress I find I love.
Friendship is a wonderful base for love...
When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 12:56 PM Go to message in response to: alymar

Lots of brides sell their used once wedding gowns online, craigslist, kijiji, and a number of other sites. If you are not picky on having something new it's much cheaper. I have my eye on Alfred Angelo 1516 style and have found lots in different sizes and colors rangin anywhere from $120 to $700 used (normally they throw in a bunch of accessories too that they no longer need, veil, tiaras, gloves, shrugs etc) this dress retails for about $1400 here new.

FmF Posts : 106 Registered: 8/19/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: BellaCereja

I had a great experience at davids bridal. I went during a sale (they always have sales) and my dress was being discontinued, so i got an even better price. i got a $899 dress for $399, also i got my hair comb, veil and slip at 10% off each for purchasing them the same day. The girl that helped me was very sweet and she didn't rush me. she made me feel comfortable. Some people don't like db but I guess it depends on who works w/ you. I would recomend it.

Future Mrs. Fransen

"From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being."
--Unknown

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 1:51 PM Go to message in response to: BellaCereja

I don't think anyone's mentioned Maggie Sottero dresses yet. They are gorgeous and very well made, but not as expensive as you would think. Mine was pretty elaborate (the Monalisa Royale), and it was right at $1000.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 5:08 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

I LOVED my Maggie, and, got it off the rack so even with alterations it was $700 total. I love the way her gowns are SO flattering. My SIL wore one also, just gorgeous and less than $1,000.

Davids does not carry them. Her collection is online, and here's a link.

http://www.maggiesottero.com/viewBride.aspx?page=75&Id=5914

That should be of another bride in the dress I wore. On the site, you can look up Maggie Brides and it has a TON of her dresses on real brides, not models.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

StarlitHolly Posts : 47 Registered: 2/23/10
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 7:01 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

I'll throw this into the mix as well - if you're not worried about having the "traditional" white dress, many many more options are open!
I wore a little black dress from Le Chateu - it cost about $300, and is re-wearable if a fancy dress occasion comes up.
Other people have worn a dress usually sold for bridesmaids - they come in all colors and usually cost a lot less than a wedding gown!
HollyElise

21. Canadian. Stay-At-Home Wife. Living in Hawaii.

Marryingmytruel... Posts : 135 Registered: 2/11/10
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 8:31 AM Go to message in response to: StarlitHolly

We are getting close to prom season too. You could try looking for a high quality prom dress in white.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

bwdcjk Posts : 11 Registered: 3/24/10
Posted: Mar 24, 2010 2:54 PM Go to message in response to: BellaCereja

This is my 2nd wedding so I am doing everything really simple and casual. We are getting my dress for $200 and the bridesmaid dresses for $100 on www.wedding.sh (that is the correct spelling - there is no .com at the end)

imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;3/st/20100626/e/Our+Wedding/k/bcdb/s-event.png[/img]

Edited by: bwdcjk on Mar 24, 2010 2:55 PM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine