2 Months Before... beauty rituals?

Online Users: 1,340 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 15

callmelindy Posts : 8 Registered: 10/5/09
2 Months Before... beauty rituals?
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 7:31 PM

I'm curious if I should start doing daily beauty rituals so I look my best on the wedding day.

For my face, I have a really oily face (along with the pimples), yet the sides of my nose get really dry. Tips? :)

For my nails.... ya'll are going to hate me... I chew my nails. They are miserably short and ragged. I really should quit so I at least have SOME nail for the manicurist :P. I've been trying to quit for a while and will go two weeks without biting them, but then when I get deep in thought, off they come. :P Suggestions? :)

Any other skin/hair/beauty suggestions are welcome! Thanks so much, ladies, you're awesome. :)
Lindy

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: 2 Months Before... beauty rituals?
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 8:32 PM Go to message in response to: callmelindy

I am also a nail biter. I managed to quit for 13 months. THIRTEEN MONTHS! Yep... from the time of the proposal to the wedding, I fought the urge and quit my nail biting. I thought I was in the clear, and stopped concentrating on it. I'm chewing them again...rather irked me.

Don't set a goal of super long nails... those suckers break.

ALWAYS have a nail clipper and nail file with you. Carry it everywhere. When you get one of those itchies under the nails, get out the clipper. When you snag a nail, get out the file out. These are your best friends.

Also. Reward yourself. If you go a month, get a manicure. And plan on a mani/pedi for the wedi <G>

Misty

Hope23 Posts : 13 Registered: 12/10/09
Posted: Dec 11, 2009 3:38 PM Go to message in response to: callmelindy

Hi Lindy,

For your oily skin I would suggest a deep cleansing scrub with built in exfoliator. The exfoliator in your cleanser will help diminish the oil as well as help to brush away dead skin cells. That will be particularly helpful to you since you said the skin around your nose is dry. After the cleansing and exfoliating put a lightweight moisturizer around your nose. It is essential that you take good care of your skin, otherwise your makeup will look either cakey or flaky and you don't want that!

I understand about the nail biting. I am a former nail biter myself, but for me it was mainly because my nails kept breaking. If this is the case for you use a nail strengthener that you can brush onto your nails to increase its strength. If you've tried everythign but you just like to bite your nails, I suggest getting Gel nails. These things are great! They helped me stop biting because for one, they are just too thick to bite through, and they look good too so you don't want to mess them up. They can give people with extreme nail biting issues gel nails (they should've been trained when they took their course). I would suggest trying them out to see how you like them and go from there.

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: callmelindy

I'm a nail biter, too. I've gone years without biting, but the second I hit a stressor, i've got a nail between my teeth. It's a real pain in the ass. Anyways, one thing you can do for that (at least for now) is wear gloves. My hands are always cold so I'm wearing them alot. As a nail biter, gloves are your best friend this time of year. And don't get fingerless gloves! They won't help you.
Life happens! I'm no longer WaitingForApril2010

ICEStandard Posts : 34 Registered: 12/10/09
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 7:12 PM Go to message in response to: callmelindy

I have the same problem with my face. You need to get a good cleanser. Oil of Olay has a good one. Wash your face in the morning and before bed. Keep your hair away from your face. This will help keep the balance. I know this may sound weird but if I get a pimple, I put toothpaste on it. It helps clear it up faster. For the nail bitting try to do something the moment you think of it, this will help you break the habit. Once they start growing you won't want to bite them.

www.icestandard.org

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 7:24 PM Go to message in response to: ICEStandard

"once they start growing you won't want to bite them"

True, but it still happens. I went 2 years without biting my nails once and they grew nicely. Nobody likes biting their nails buy it's very hard to quit. It's one of those weird comfort habbits that aren't so simple to drop.
Life happens! I'm no longer WaitingForApril2010

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Dec 14, 2009 7:42 PM Go to message in response to: ICEStandard

Ice, you're clearly not a recovering nail biter. It's not like we sit around with nothing to do and look at our fingers and think "oh YUM!!! I've got a bit of nail I can chew!"

I quit for an entire year, it was hard and I was constantly fighting it. I did find during that time it was hardest when a nail broke or snagged and I didn't have a nail clipper available. And the moment I let my guard down, I was back to chewing the things (really irked me....I thought I'd kicked it)

Gels are nice, but they are not real, and they do a number on your nail beds. My personal pride would not allow me to have fakes for WD. I wanted real nails, or I wasn't doing the finger shot.

Misty

Hope23 Posts : 13 Registered: 12/10/09
Posted: Dec 15, 2009 8:59 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Yeah your right about gels wrecking your nail beds. I just found that it made me keep my nails away from my mouth when I had them....for awhile. Until I decided I didn't need gel nails anymore and took them off. But if you're willing to keep them up (getting fills when your nails grow out) then I'd say get them!

BloggingBride1212 Posts : 25 Registered: 1/11/10
Posted: Jan 17, 2010 7:42 PM Go to message in response to: Hope23

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Mar 1, 2010 2:27 PM Go to message in response to: callmelindy

I would get fake nails put on now, or put on some from a kit from a pharmacy if you're saving your cash. If you do, you can't bite your nails off becaue they're covered by some really tough stuff.

Instead of biting your nails when you get nervous, I'd carry around hard candy to suck on. It keeps your mouth occupied and your fingers safe.

AsRealAsItGets Posts : 9 Registered: 2/13/10
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: callmelindy

I also have oily skin with dry patches. augghhh! I understand your pain.
I have one word for you
Clarisonic
I will not leave home without my Clarisonic face cleaner. The difference it has made in the texture, tone and glow to my skin is beyond words.
I use mine in the am and pm on my face, neck and chest. I use it in the shower to save time.
My friends think I have had a professional treatment done!
Wishing you a wonderful day!

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 3:57 PM Go to message in response to: callmelindy

I'll actually agree with one of the PP's who said something about carrying candy. I'm currently trying to quit nail biting (I kicked the habit for 9 months, but as soon as I moved abroad, I was chewing them again), and having a pack of gum in my purse has been a lifesaver! It's the only thing that will keep me from biting them, and even then, I run the risk of "picking" them, with another nail. Ugh. I hate not having pretty nails, I'm trying so hard! At any rate, try gum, it does help.

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

TheeBride Posts : 130 Registered: 1/17/10
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 8:16 PM Go to message in response to: callmelindy

callmelindy,
Try not to overstimulate your skin. Washing your face too often or using products that dry the skin out causes the skin to overproduce natural oils as its sort of protection from the dryness. Rather, and I know this sounds crazy, wash your face and use a light moisturizer even though you don't think you need it. You're skin's producing too much oil for a reason, because it's actually dry. Odd right? Haha! I used to have bad skin and I think it's gotten better for a few reasons...I rarely drink soda, rather I drink mostly water (and coffee in the morning, it's terrible but I sort of "need" it, lol) and I don't drink much milk either. I once heard drinking too much caused breakouts (which just about killed me, I LOVE milk) so I sorta cut back, whether it actually made a difference who knows...my skin does look a million times better though. Plus I have a ritual by washing and moisturizing in the morning and washing only at night and I don't usually go to bed without having washed my hair since my face will be on my pillowcase with my hair. I don't use anything fancy, just Dove daily facial exfoliating/moisturizing cleanser with Dove daily moisturizer. Maybe it's my age too, I'm getting older so maybe I'm not breaking out as much. Who knows.

Could you put something spicy on your nails so you wouldn't want to bite them? I'm sure they make something like that somewhere, if not you could put hot sauce in clear polish...hehe.

"I carry your heart with me, I carry it in
my heart. I am never without it, anywhere
I go you go, my dear..."

E.E. Cummings

Daisypath Wedding tickers

SMGray Posts : 84 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 9:06 PM Go to message in response to: callmelindy

I'm a nail biter too, and it sucks. I was a smoker for 4 years and even after quitting smoking I couldn't quit biting my nails. It's insane. I occasionally put tips on- I do it myself because I'm big on DIY beauty. I figure it couldn't hurt to try to do stuff yourself at home, and usually I find out it's easy and a lot cheaper to do things at home. I have no cure for the nail biting, I've tried the nail polish with the bitter taste and I would keep biting even with the gross taste in my mouth. Good luck with that.

As far as your skin goes, I had issues with mine too, I use the Tea Tree Oil line from the Body Shop... it's awesome for my skin. Also, the people at the Body Shop are pretty well trained to help you figure out what skin products are gonna work best for you, so I would definitely recommend going in there if you have one locally. I've got all my friends hooked on them, we all use different lines of face products, but everyone's looking good. My skin isn't perfect all the time, I still break out right before that time of month, but what I consider a "break out" now is what I looked like on a good day 2 years ago, so I'm pretty happy.

"And so I come, to be the one, who's always standing close to you."- Van Morrison

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 11:30 PM Go to message in response to: callmelindy

So what DO you use for your skin? Id be able to better analyze/give you suggestions of where you can improve if we could at least get a description of your skin regiment now :)

P.S...dont get a cleanser thats also an exfoliator at the same time :) ...sounds like it makes sense and will feel wonderful just about instantly but in the long run - not so much! :) esp with oily skin..

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine