Cupcakes vs. Traditional cake

Online Users: 1,271 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

ALONDRA1313 Posts : 7 Registered: 1/27/10
Cupcakes vs. Traditional cake
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 6:57 PM

I'm tinking on having cupcakes for my wedding next month, I love the idea because they are different and also they are so less expensive than traditional cake ( they fit my extra low budget) . What you think? What will you have?

Jacqui

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: Cupcakes vs. Traditional cake
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 7:16 PM Go to message in response to: ALONDRA1313

We toyed with cupcakes. A point about them, and I'll highlight it with our groom's cake.

Individual sized food, especially if served in conjunction with a buffet, just SCREAMS for guests to take them.

At weddings, there is typically a formal cake cutting before the distribution of the dessert. People SHOULD know this. You'd think they'd know this. But a lot of times, one guest checks his/her brain at the door.

So... JOE picks up one of the cupcakes that are meant to be served after the cake cutting. Becuase Joe has taken one, the cake is "cut" so to speak and so the guests will start to get the cupcakes.

We had this issue with our groom's cake -- it was a Pirate Ship filled with Nutter Butter cookies. People saw the nutter butters in the pirate ship. It was SITTING next to the wedding cake, not next to the buffet, but a couple of guests got cookies with their buffet food. Other guests saw them with the nutter butters, so they got the nutter butters. Soon our ship was well attacked, and this was before we did the cake cutting. Sure, it's a cookie. I have heard of people who have had this issue with the cup cakes though, because of them being an individual serving.

A lot of times, it is not an adult who starts it....it is an unsupervised youth (teenager or pre-teen) who does so. Unsupervised because I know MY mother would thwap my hand, no matter what my age, if I got some food that was not supposed to be served yet.

All it takes is one guest who checked his or her brain at the door .... and your wedding cake is being served before your planned time.

On the other hand... everyone loves a cupcake, and you can get a variety of flavors (A word about flavors: when you have more than one, people will want more than one piece as they will not realize there is cake of Flavor X or they will want to try both. It can mean you'll need a bigger cake or more cupcakes)

Misty

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 7:43 PM Go to message in response to: ALONDRA1313

Dear Alondra,

I think cupcakes sound great! I've seen tiered cupcake trees that resemble the traditional tiered wedding cake.

Go for it.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 8:03 PM Go to message in response to: ALONDRA1313

I am a cupcake person--I love cupcakes.
We have a fantastic gourmet cupcake place down the street from me that offers them with tons of different flavours, fillings and frostings. It's definitely something that I will consider. I think it's a great idea.

I was the dining room assistant manager at a resort where we hosted weddings and I was always involved in the planning. One wedding had a cupcake stand like Aunt suggested with different tiers. We had a cover for the tier that was zipped up. The reason was that it was because it was an outdoor meal in a tent and they wanted to keep the cupcakes safe--but it would also be good for what Cat pointed out--that people tend to go for things that seem "buffet" style. The cupcakes were very clearly off limits with the cover on. They didn't do anything to represent a cake cutting--but they could have if they wanted to.

Anyways, I love the idea.

To prevent what Cat said you could go for the stand cover like I brought up before or to have it set up in the kitchen or elsewhere and wheel it out later when it's time for them to be eaten.

TheeBride Posts : 130 Registered: 1/17/10
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 10:26 PM Go to message in response to: ALONDRA1313

I think it's a great idea! I love cupcakes and how ironic I see this post because last weekend my fiance and I found this great cupcake place in Annapolis called Nostalgia Cupcakes. OMG, so good! We went in for one and walked out with a dozen........then went back for two (literally, TWO) more cupcakes a few days later, haha! We had...chocolate city cake, little boy blue, mm mochacake, pink lady, peanutbuttercupcake, salted caramel, lemoncello, mississippi mudcake, red velvet and carrot cake (http://www.nostalgiacupcakes.com/docs/Menu%20&%20Schedule.mht).

What flavor are you thinking about having? My friend is doing cupcakes too. They're getting married in August at the Outer Banks and haven't done too much for planning yet so they're not sure what flavor(s) they're getting yet.

My fiance and I decided on a sort of traditional cake...3 center squared tiers with green ribbon between the tiers, swirls and dots on the tiers and cream/green hydrangeas on top with a little on the side or cascading down. The flavors are lemon with raspberry filling, almond and red velvet, all with buttercream icing. Yaaay, and the best part is the cake was only $415! I couldn't believe it.

Congrats on the Caribbean destination wedding, ooh lala :o)

"I carry your heart with me, I carry it in
my heart. I am never without it, anywhere
I go you go, my dear..."

E.E. Cummings

SweetSurrender Posts : 130 Registered: 5/14/09
Posted: Feb 23, 2010 10:41 PM Go to message in response to: ALONDRA1313

I think cupcakes are a great idea! I actually might consider this option when the time comes.

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round.
Love is what makes the ride worthwhile."

Marryingmytruel... Posts : 135 Registered: 2/11/10
Posted: Feb 24, 2010 7:11 AM Go to message in response to: ALONDRA1313

I think that I will probably do cupcakes instead of a tiered cake too. There's a little place close to me that makes really yummy cupcakes and they are very inexpensive. Most of the flavors run about $7 for a dozen!

ALONDRA1313 Posts : 7 Registered: 1/27/10
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 7:01 PM Go to message in response to: Marryingmytruel...

Hey girls thank you for your opinion, now I feel more confident about having cupcakes. i wish you all the best in your weddings!!!!! When the time comes i will post my pictures so u all can see how it comes!!!!!!!

Jacqui

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Feb 26, 2010 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: ALONDRA1313

When we were planning our traditional wedding (we're doing Vegas now), we had hired a baker to do cupcakes. We liked the idea of not having to have a regular cake cut. Plus I just like cupcakes better, less mess. No need for extra dishes or silverware.

There are many beautiful ways to make cupcakes special and "wedding-like" so they don't look like boring everyday cupcakes. Go to google and click on images, and then search for wedding cupcakes. You can tweak the search words to find what you are looking for.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

MarissaRowland Posts : 33 Registered: 10/2/09
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 7:10 PM Go to message in response to: ALONDRA1313

I'm not sure if I will be doing cupcakes just because I'm kinda set on the style of cake I want. I think it is a great idea to have though. So easy for people to serve themselves, and less clean up with no dishes needed. They're so darned cute looking too people just can't resist. Easy to DIY also if you can't find them cheap enough.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine