Need Some Advice from the DIYers!!

Online Users: 1,303 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 30

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Re: Need Some Advice from the DIYers!!
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 12:34 AM Go to message in response to: goldelox20

I checked out your invitations goldelox20, the final version looked awesome! I'm so glad you showed the process of deciding what the final copy would be! I'm getting ready to check out that website too, thanks!

wedding widget

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 1:20 AM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

steffmay2009

those are amazing, what did you use to make them?

goldelox20 Posts : 152 Registered: 8/6/07
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 10:50 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

my process was:

metallic brown carsick for backing with corner punches

red carstock 1/2" shorter on length and width than brown

cream cardstock 1 1/2" shorter on length then red - spray painted with gold metallic "H" - I had to cut my own stencil

vellum with writting - at least 1" wider than red, same height.

first sprayed the "H" and let dry - it was a warm day and only took a few hours
glued the cream to the red
wrapped the vellum around the red/cream and secured with scrapbook tape/ribbon glue stuff

glued red/cream/vellum to brown - rubber cement works the best for the cost.

In all it took about 2 weeks - all day long on the weekends and a few hours after work each day but everytime I looked at invitations nothing popped out at me. The price of the paper ended up being about $300 for $150 invitations, direction cards, (personalized) response cards, and metalic envelopes.

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Thank you!

I just used two pieces of paper per invite. One was a heavier stock (the purple paper) and one was a little lighter (the silver). I printed only on the silver, and put all the pieces (invite, response, directions) on that one page, like a puzzle. To make the pocket folder, I just measured how much space I needed to fit the response envelope, and still get it to all fit in a standard envelope to mail. I held the pockets together with two sided wall mount foam. (It is thicker and sturdier then normal tape, so you can fit things in the pocket, but not as messy as glue.. I just cut a thin strip for each pocket). It took a lot of time, but my goal was to make them so complicated people wouldn't believe I was a DIYer. I got the paper at a paper supply store, in packets of 100, but you can get it online too, it's called Aspire Petallics. The ribbon was from Michaels.

mrsJLA Posts : 445 Registered: 5/25/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 2:00 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

If you are looking for some cool fonts besides what Word is normally loaded with, try this website:

dafont.com

You can type in sample text and the downloads are free for personal use. We used fonts from here for our menu cards, church programs and some other things.
Our menus used "Jane Austin" and "Henry Morgan" handwriting fonts for the menus on simple shimmery "pearl" paper from michaels w/ black cardstock backing. Thank god for the guillotine style paper cutter... The napkin is covering my favorite part - A seashell with Jaime & Michael above it and 10.18.08 below it....

Jaime Kiss

Dropdeadred Posts : 7 Registered: 5/26/08
Posted: Feb 23, 2009 12:48 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Michael's has invitation kits with everything in them. All you do is download the template, print them out, and put them together. I had around the same amount of guests and had all the invitations done and stamped for around $100. I sent them out last week and have already had several phone calls about how beautiful they were. No one had a clue I did them myself!

dawnO Posts : 40 Registered: 7/14/08
Posted: Feb 26, 2009 9:32 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

mushaboo, I love your invite. I also got the walmart kits and have been thinking of how to personalize it. I was going to stamp or emboss a shell or a starfish on the white card underneath the vellum and print the wedding info on the vellum, but now after looking at yours, I'm not so sure now. I really like the idea of backing it with colored cardstock. great job on your invite!

KPM Posts : 577 Registered: 1/20/08
Posted: Mar 2, 2009 12:52 AM Go to message in response to: dawnO

We did Save the dates - designed, but ordered, invites, response cards, Thank you's, centerpieces and I just finished the bouquets and boutonnieres. I don't have pictures of the bouquets and boutonnieres yet. Will try to get those tomorrow.

Save the dates

STDfinal-1.jpg Final sm picture by <u>puddles</u>

Invites

Invite4a4-2.jpg picture by <u>puddles</u>

Response cards

Responsefront3.jpg image by <u>puddles</u>

Thank You's - this is the card attached to a bandana. Will try to get a pic of those tomorrow as well.

Thankyou5a.jpg picture by <u>puddles</u>

Our center pieces

untitled.jpg centerpieces picture by <u>puddles</u>

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cheesecake in one hand, rum in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

brideJuly2009 Posts : 7 Registered: 3/3/09
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 12:49 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

I just created an album on my profile called DIY. I tried copying and pasting the images here, but it didn't work out. I am doing an online RSVP with a website, so my invitations are simple. Hope this helps!

hoodiagordonii Posts : 1 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Jun 26, 2009 5:20 AM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Creating own invitation card is nice idea. All the cards are so cute and I like it very much. I will try to design and make own cards. You will soon see my own collections.

Hoodia Gordonii

Edited by: hoodiagordonii on Jun 26, 2009 5:22 AM

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Jun 26, 2009 9:08 AM Go to message in response to: hoodiagordonii

I got mine from JoAnne Fabrics too. Just had to print them all out. I got them on sale for like $8 for 25 and they are the folder type with little cards in it and such. I'm glad it saved me A LOT of money but man I cussed them and my printer out a lot!! It tells you what size each card is but it still doesn't print right at that size. Man that was a headache. But worth it.

I LOVE the ideas on here!! VERY beautiful!!

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

turtle2 Posts : 56 Registered: 11/3/09
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 8:58 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Not from personal experience, but I would suggest finding a friend who is good at scrapbooking to help you or take a course on it or read a book for how-tos. This is my plan. Also I am taking a graphic design class which may or may not help me in the end lol Good Luck!
file:///C:/Users/HPMillerCummings/Downloads/Daisypath-iFtb.html

GreenStudent Posts : 2 Registered: 2/10/10
Posted: Feb 15, 2010 5:15 PM Go to message in response to: goldelox20

Check out craftster.org. some people are doing amazing things, and there are lots of tutorials on how to do things.

I'm planning on making my own invitations, too. I'm toying with the idea of carving my own large rubber stamp...

Augustbride10 Posts : 12 Registered: 12/21/09
Posted: Feb 15, 2010 8:17 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

You can also buy design templates. I am getting my invites from alamodebride.com. I was going to go DIY route and she was going to sell me a design temple for like $30 with the rsvp card temple. It was such a great deal but I decided not to go that route as I don't want to have to do it myself any more as I am going DIY with some other things.

Good luck! I sure your invites will come out beautifully

bontybahr Posts : 1 Registered: 4/5/10
Posted: Apr 5, 2010 2:11 AM Go to message in response to: turtle2

I agree, ask a friend who is good at crafting. They can make the first model, then you just follow. Some people are just naturally good at it and love it, I'm sure they would like to help you with the creation of your invite!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine