Anyone made a huge move?

Online Users: 1,264 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

blewis1 Posts : 9 Registered: 3/11/09
Anyone made a huge move?
Posted: Feb 7, 2010 1:48 AM

I am from Albuquerque, New Mexcio and getting married in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, June 2011, my FH was born and raised there. Before our wedding we are actually moving to Guadalajara, 2 days away from Albuquerque, 3 hours away from Vallarta. I feel like all this is a whirlwind. I have never been away from my home and New Mexico is my home, always has been. I am definately excited and know it is going to be such an incredible adventure. He is going to med school so theres so much happening within the next year. Has anyone made such a big move? I feel overwhelmed, and excited all together. I just have no idea what to expect or whats to come.

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Re: Anyone made a huge move?
Posted: Feb 7, 2010 2:09 PM Go to message in response to: blewis1

DH and I moved from Ohio to Florida for his new job, just over 1,000 miles away from family, friends, and everything really familiar. It was a little scary, but like Bally said, very exciting too! We got to start brand new, meet new people, explore new places together and we learned to rely on each other for things, not always falling back on family and friends. It also made a nice place for family and friends to "vacation" and we could show off our new found favorite spots.

We ended up moving back to Ohio for his job, but are still about 3 hours away from our hometown, family and friends. I'm not crazy about the MOVING part, but being in a new place, (especially Florida!) was a fun and new adventure. And yes, if you and DH don't like it, never feel you're stuck forever!

Daisypath

"Come What May...."

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Feb 7, 2010 5:16 PM Go to message in response to: blewis1

Dear BLewis,

I've made many "huge" moves in my life.

The best thing to do is just take things as they come. You get your new house, then start figuring out the necessities: gas station, grocery store, hairdresser, etc. Then you learn the "good" restaurants and other second-tier necessities.

I am a regular church-goer; have been all my life. For me, joining the local church is high priority. Then I have a built-in group of friends and people to steer me to a good shops and other things.

If you are not a church-goer, then consider making it a high priority to join whatever kind of local group that is interesting to you. Are you a runner? Join a running club. Like art? Join the local art museum.

I have a good friend from Guadalajara. He loves it there and goes back every chance he gets. I have heard from many people it's one of the best places to live in all Mexico.

VšnTillBruden Posts : 353 Registered: 1/16/10
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 4:31 PM Go to message in response to: blewis1

Well, OP, I was born in Stockholm, Sweden. Moved to the United States when I was two years old, with the rest of my family. Moved around between Wisconsin (4 years), California (9 years), and Michigan (2 years) before I, at seventeen years old, packed up two suitcases, and with 50 dollars in my wallet, moved back to Sweden to go to college. Been here since.

Being someone who has moved around a lot, I can say this much: find strength in your hobbies, as AOTB said. Every time I moved, the first thing I did was look for a local theatre troupe, as I am an avid broadway geek. *:P I made friends within my first two days doing this, some of whom I am still extremely close to now.

Your trick, and Bally's, and mine - We moved (or are moving, in your case) to new countries entirely. Granted, I was originally born in Sweden, but I had no experiences or memories to draw back on. I didn't speak Swedish, I needed to learn it when I got here (my father was terrible about wanting to raise me as a proper American child, wouldn't speak a word of Swedish with me, until I moved back to Sweden on my own). It's never easy adapting to a new culture, especially the new people, but it's something that requires a great amount of patience. Rome wasn't built in a day. I actually have been to Guadalajara, during my years in California, it's a beautiful area! And, from what I remember, there were a lot of locals who spoke English very comfortably. I don't know if you can speak spanish or not, but my only other suggestion for you would be to take a spanish class upon arrival. Even if you know a bit, it doesn't hurt to sharpen up a little. And it allows you to meet other "new kids" in the area who are in a similar boat as you.

Best of luck!!!

Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I need it the most. (Swedish proverb)

HummingbirdHall... Posts : 10 Registered: 2/20/10
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: blewis1

I moved to Jamaica from the UK after finishing Grad school (to become a Creative Director @ Hummingbird Hall - the job of my dreams!!). I knew some people in Jamaica - and had been here relatively often - but vacationing somewhere and living somewhere are totally different, so it was definitely a culture shock at first.

To meet likeminded people, I threw myself into volunteering and joined the yacht club and now that the dust has settled, I absolutely adore it. I'd say that even though moving may seem scary and overwhelming at first - relish and embrace the great opportunity you are giving yourself and your relationship. You'll both come out more enriched as a result and with great stories to tell!

You'll also make great new friends and, funnily enough, even strengthen the relationships with friends and family you have at home. I've found that I actually speak to friends/family back in England way more often now, as people make a real effort to keep me involved and included as I'm 5000 miles away.... They also vacation here a lot, though whether it's to see me, or due to the allure of Jamaica, I'm not sure

The moving bug is actually quite infectious.. if i didnt love this place so much, I'd move again, just for the hell of it!

Have fun! Good luck!

Jamaica: Once You Go - You Know!

Hummingbird Hall, Jamaica: http://www.hummingbirdhall.com/

Destination Wedding Jamaica

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine