I suddenly hate my wedding dress!!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

Jules71 Posts : 1 Registered: 10/11/09
I suddenly hate my wedding dress!!!
Posted: Jan 29, 2010 5:25 PM

Last fall I went shopping and happened to go past a bridal shop, I decided to stop in and at least start looking for a dress. I'm not getting married until September, so there was no rush, but I really wasn't sure what I wanted so I wanted to take my time and look around.
The lady working and I gathered up a few options and I went to try them on. The dresses I picked out were simple, and not overly 'weddingy.' The first dress I tried on was one that she had selected for me, simple but not what I had been thinking. I put it on expecting to take it off again immediately without leaving the dressing room. When I got it on I fell in love and put down a deposit.
I went back again a while later with my maid of honor and a friend and tried it on again, and again...loved it. I was pretty happy to have that big decision taken care of so early.
Last week I looked at the pictures my friend took...and suddenly, I hate it! Everything about it! When I tried it on before I loved that it was fitted and made my figure look hour glassy...now I think it makes me look wide. The simple skirt, suddenly looks boring. The classic style now seems old lady looking!
I think I'm going to go back in this weekend and try it on again, hopefully the love affair will be renewed!
Has this ever happened to anyone?
I was married before and when I found my dress that time I fell in love and stayed in love, which is probably at least part of the reason this is freaking me out so much!

JennfromFolsom Posts : 34 Registered: 3/6/09
Re: I suddenly hate my wedding dress!!!
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: Jules71

Yes it happened to me. I suggest all brides take a number of pics from every angle and go home and look at those pics for quite a while before purchasing! I know the sales people talk you into buying or you will miss out on it or miss out on the sale, blah blah blah. I'm a two dress bride and found the one I loved 3 months before my wedding. I was able to thankfully sell my first dress (at 1/2 the price) after my wedding. I just wish I had waited...go try your dress on and take lots more pics and think about it! Hopefully you will fall in love with it again!

Jenn & Dave

Married 10/4/09 Forest Hill, CA

BecomingWallace Posts : 4 Registered: 2/1/10
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: Jules71

Yep... it happened to me. I bought my dress, had it in my closet for a month or so before I realized that I LOVE the dress and HATE it on my body. Now I'm trying to sell it ASAP and buy a new dress at the same time. I think it happens to a lot of us.

BrideColleen Posts : 2 Registered: 2/4/10
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 6:08 PM Go to message in response to: Jules71

Are you sure you hate it or are you just having second feelings?
My dress was the second one I tried on. As she slipped it over my body it felt nice. At first glance in the mirror I thought it was just what I wanted. I walked out to my mom and sister beaming. I loved it.
After that I tried on maybe ten more dresses. There were a few that came close but none felt the same. I loved the feel that one gave me.
For the next week or so I did think about other dresses. Did I get the right one? Should I have looked ore?
Then I got a message on my answering machine from the dress shop. They wanted me to call them back regarding my dress. By the time II got the message the dress shop had already closed. I was so scared that I wasn't going to be able to get my dress. I was stressed and cried because I really really wanted that dress. So the next day I found out that indeed it was discountinued and they couldn't order it for me. The good news is the one in the store fits me so they are gonna get that one as good as new for me and discounted.
I still find myself looking at dresses. I see all these pretty, tiny girls in dresses that look beautiful. I find myself wondering what they would look like on me. But all in all I think I made the right choice. I loved it from the moment it first went on and I take my "near no dress experience" as peice of mind that it really is the one.

LinzM2010 Posts : 5 Registered: 4/3/09
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 7:42 PM Go to message in response to: Jules71

I am having the same dilemma! I think my dress is beautiful...but maybe not for me. It is not as bride-y as I wanted. When I first started shopping, I was stuck on a casual look but ended up planning a much more traditional/formal wedding (church ceremony, country club reception). I am also torn as to who to tell I am thinking about switching dresses. I bought the first dress, but my mom and MOH were part of the shopping experience. Do I tell them now or wait for a reveal on the big day?

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 8:35 PM Go to message in response to: LinzM2010

Me too! I bought the first one, thought it was pretty, and it was. But I bought more based on, my second wedding, maybe I should go simple, so bought a champagne bm dress. Yes, it was pretty. NOthing wrong with it.

BUT, then I was in a bridal shop getting FG dress, and looked. And saw some, and tried them on, and found the one I actually wore. I loved it from the second I tried it on and through to wedding day. DH loved it. I did show him the other one, he said he was happy I changed my mind. I was amazingly able to get store credit for it, so got some other stuff I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise, and the one I did wear cost more but was off the rack so discounted a little. ANyway, I was so happy I switched because after trying on the one I actually wore, I would never have been happy in the first one.

I say, wear what you feel beautiful, bridish in. I know others have said this, and was true for me, when I tried on the one I went with, I knew it was perfect for me. Same for my SIL. If you aren't happy with it, sell it, see if you can get store credit, whatever. Nothing wrong with changing your mind, not at all, and I know i t has happened to LOTS of brides to be!

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine