About THE DRESS?

Online Users: 1,330 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 7

Lindyy Posts : 2 Registered: 1/14/10
About THE DRESS?
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 9:01 AM

Hi,

I am sure this is an often visited topic, but I have found a dress I love, but my wedding is still far away. :) I don't know whether to just bite the bullet and buy it, or wait a while in case I change my mind or find something I love more.

I can't really afford to buy a different dress if I changed my mind. It is not the style I was thinking of getting at all but I just want it now.

happydefiant1 Posts : 223 Registered: 7/9/09
Re: About THE DRESS?
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 9:31 AM Go to message in response to: Lindyy

Hi Lindyy,

I've heard that buying a dress too far in advance takes the 'wow' or 'excitement' out of it because you have so much time to look at it while you're waiting for your wedding and then come WD, its lost its newness. Does that make sense? Also, new dresses come out all the time and it is possible you'll find something else you like, but will you like it more than this one? Who knows? If you love the dress you have found and you're pretty sure you'll still love it a year from now, I would say buy it but then store it somewhere safe where you won't see it all the time. Maybe your parents or FIL's house.... I would also suggest not getting it altered until your wedding date gets closer.

good luck!

check out our wedding website: shawnandkathaeleen.brides.com

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: Lindyy

Lindy I had a similiar experience but with my e-ring.

I LOVED my e-ring the day that my FH purchased it & the next couple of weeks that I tried it on while he was at work. But after two months of continuing to look at rings online, I kept changing my mind about the e-ring that my FH had already purchased for me because I was looking at all the other options. When he noticed that I was still looking at e-rings online he was bummed. We had looked at rings almost 2 years before buying, so he was a bit flabbergasted that I still was unsure of what I wanted.

9 days ago my FH proposed with the e-ring that he bought for me over 2 months ago & guess what... I love it! I wouldn't change a thing. It's perfect!

The purpose of my story is to let you know that the longer something sits & waits to be worn, the more it loses it's flare & makes you question what you really want. But once you put that dress on again, you'll love it just as much as you did the day you bought it! If you love the dress & feel beautiful in it, get it =)

"Fill my heart with gladness, take away all my sadness, Ease my troubles, that's what you do." -Rod Stewart

pitdigger Posts : 37 Registered: 10/31/09
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 2:53 PM Go to message in response to: Lindyy

I'd say that it depends a little bit. I found my dress in February of last year and I'm getting married July of this year. After I tried it on and thought "yep, this is it" my mom came out and I tried it on again in April. I still looked a bit and tried on a couple of other dresses that I liked as well, but none as much as that one. So then I waited a little bit longer. Why? Because I decided that if I was this set on the dress that if at all possible, I was not going to pay full price. So I waited for an end-of-season sale and bought it in August. I'll have it at the end of the month.

So, if this is the dress for you, then you should get it, but try to see if you can wait for a sale.

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: pitdigger

Its kinda like when you think of that favorite skirt or outfit you hada few years ago. You loved it it was you "go-to" outfit when all else fails but more likely than not, you dont love it as much now. I kinda feel like that about dresses. New styles come out all the time and I personally would be afraid to go with something that I might change my mind about by the time I need it. One thing for sure though - once you buy your dress - no matter when that will be - STOP LOOKING AT OTHER DRESSES!!!! LOL....Im sure you've heard that before but Im telling you from first hand experience lol. Never watching Say Yes To The Dress again either lol.

eastatlantagirl Posts : 3 Registered: 1/13/10
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 11:20 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

I bought my dress two days ago and my wedding is Oct. 2010. I was nervous that this was too soon for all the reasons stated, but I have spent so much time browsing, surfing, etc. that I truly felt I knew every dress on the market and this was the one. I don't think it is discontinued, like the consultant said (this was DB and I was on guard), but it is on sale at a great price. It combined all the elements I wanted without adding others I didn't want. It's my fave out there at any price and I don't think that will change, my style has been pretty steady for years.

My way of handling an early dress purchase:

1) dress went straight to my parents' house. Even if I check it out every time I go over there, I can't OD on it.

2) I am not doing ANYTHING in terms of alterations or accessory shopping for a while. This will preserve some "putting it together" fun for later on.

Got the dress!

JennfromFolsom Posts : 34 Registered: 3/6/09
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: Lindyy

I'm a two dress bride....WAIT! Keep trying on dresses when you have time. Take your time is my advice! I bought my 2nd dress, the one I absolutely loved 3 months before my wedding!

Jenn & Dave

Married 10/4/09 Forest Hill, CA

Lindyy Posts : 2 Registered: 1/14/10
Posted: Feb 5, 2010 4:33 AM Go to message in response to: JennfromFolsom

Wow, you know after week of thinking I have decided that I really have to wait, like you are saying!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine