Instant photos

Online Users: 1,290 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

Jnikki Posts : 42 Registered: 11/2/08
Instant photos
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 5:49 PM

I am having a backdrop at my nightclub themed reception. You know the pictures that you can always take at the club, that are a backdrop of celebrities or cars or whatever. Well its actually going to be a backdrop of me and the groom. DO NOT WANT TO SACRIFICE THIS IDEA!! But the problem is we cannot find a way to have instant photos printed where our guests can take their photos home as favors. Does anyone know a good way to do this without hiring a photographer?

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Instant photos
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 6:17 PM Go to message in response to: Jnikki

Dear Jnikki,

You could do it with digital photography, a laptop computer and a good quality color printer. However, someone would have to be "in charge" of the thing. That person would have to take the photo, transfer it to the laptop then print it out.

I'd say you need to hire someone to do that. I can't see it being DIY.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 8:48 AM Go to message in response to: Jnikki

Just a thought: If I went to a wedding where photos were taken of the guests with a backdrop of the bride and groom, I'd feel like the bride and groom just didn't want to take the time to pose with everybody. I might rethink the backdrop and maybe have it of a place that is important to you rather than a backdrop of the two of you for that reason.

Anyway, AOTB's idea is probably the best way to do it. Otherwise, you could try poloroids or look into a photo booth. Personally, I would probably just have my photographer do it (or look into hiring a photographer's assistant for an hour, if you want the main photographer to be elsewhere).

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Hello,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. In addition to what ArtBride has said, the simple answer to your question is "No it is not possible short of having a photographer" Basically you'll need two special skills to accomplish your desires. First and the easier of the two, you'll need the ability to print photos on site. You can do this with a computer but you'll need somebody to man the printer. The other and more difficult skill, is green screen photography. Quite frankly this is a specialized photography niche. While I have the intellectual knowledge of green screen, it is something that I have never actually practiced.

If you don't use a green screen, you will end up just pasting your image on top of the photos your friends take. In which case, they will look phony. This is also a problem with poorly done green screen. The key is to make sure the lighting is exactly the same on both parts of the composit photo. The people being put into the photo and those already in the photo.

To set up a green screen composite photo, you and your FH, will have to be photographed against a green screen in your wedding attire. The lighting will have to be exactly the same as will be used when your guests have their photos taken. After your photo is taken, the green screen will be removed to create your composite layer. At the wedding, your guests will have their photos taken. Once again, the lighting must be the same. Depending on the complexity, they may also be against a green screen to add a third background layer. In order to combine the images, a person will need to operate a computer with specialized software to combine the layers. It can be done in photoshop but it does take a lot longer.

Once the layers are created they are combined, and flattened into one image. That image will then need to be printed. You can use a standard inkjet printer. However, those printers take a long time to print an image. If you need multiple copies of the photo, your guests could be waiting a long time. The better printer for the task is known as a dye-sub printer. In addition to operating faster than an inkjet printer, the prints are higher quality and will last much longer.

As you can see, it will require special skills and tools. While you would like to provide photos of you with your guests without having to pose for each and every photo and save money at the same time, you will be creating more problems by attempting to do it yourself rather than hire a professional. Please feel free to contact me should you have any additional questions.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Feb 3, 2010 1:06 PM Go to message in response to: Jnikki

Personally I would ditch the backdrop idea, because as Art pointed out, it could easily come across as an attempt to avoid taking pictures with your guests. But the idea of instant photos is great and we're doing that too by getting a photobooth company. It's not the old, mall-style booth, but more like a curtained enclosure around a digital photography mechanism (if that makes sense).

We're getting a package that includes double pictures, one set for our guestbook (guests sign a message to us in a scrapbook beside the picture they've taken) and one set of pics for the guests to take home. To make it fun, I'm putting together a prop box (funny hats, feather boas, tiaras, wands etc etc). So the guests will have fun (hopefully), we'll have a unique guestbook, and the guests will have a favour they'll actually like/use.

These booths are getting pretty popular so you'll probably be able to find a company in your area.

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine