Reception Questions

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

Legasia Posts : 3 Registered: 1/25/10
Reception Questions
Posted: Jan 27, 2010 11:42 AM

I am LDS and so is my Fiance. We will be getting married at the Columbus Ohio Temple on July 31st and having our reception at our church a week later on August 7. My question is, since we are planning on having finger sandwiches and light refreshments instead of a full meal, is it still alright for us to have dance music and dancing for a few hours? There will still be cake and at least a First Dance and FD Dance, but I'm afraid that it isn't appropriate to have a full dance without the full meal.

Also, what are some ideas on ways I can dress up the reception to match our chess theme? We met in chess club and we are planning on tying this into our wedding since it is something we both love.

Thanks for all of your help!

Rylan Posts : 23 Registered: 1/12/09
Re: Reception Questions
Posted: Jan 27, 2010 10:00 PM Go to message in response to: Legasia

My husband and I met in chess club as well. What kind of ideas are you already planning to include in your chess themed reception?

Here are a few ideas:

• King and queen wedding topper
  • Chess board groom's cake
  • Chess cookies (link)
  • Chess candle wedding favors (link)

wedding countdown calendar

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 10:36 PM Go to message in response to: Rylan

We are planning on having a square cake with the top decorated like a chessboard and chocolate molded chess pieces randomly placed around it. We aren't planning on a groom's cake because we are both college students so we have a very low budget. We're gonna give a donation to a cancer charity (because my parents died from cancer) in lieu of favors, but those are a really good idea otherwise. And the cookies are a great idea for a little snack since we are planning on just sandwiches and what not for lunch, so I will have to use those! Thanks!

Any input from anyone about my other dilemma?

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Jan 28, 2010 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: Legasia

I googled 'chess themed weddings' and these are some of the photos that came up. Some are really creative! I'm not sure how much everything costs but maybe you can take the idea & make a DIY invitation or centerpiece. Hopefully this is of some help =)
Iif you use black scarves with white table linens your table will resemble a chessboard!

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

Go to fullsize image

"Have I Told You Lately that I love you? Have I told you there's no one else above you? Fill my heart with gladness, take away all my sadness, Ease my troubles, that's what you do." -Rod Stewart

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 28, 2010 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: Legasia

Whether or not to have dancing depends on how much food you're going to serve. I know you said light/finger foods - but will there be enough for people to make a meal out of them, or are you talking about a few trays of veggies and dip? If you're offering enough food for people to make a meal of it, then it doesn't matter whether you serve a sit-down meal or not, and you can go ahead with the dancing, etc. If you're not offering enough food for guests to make a full meal of it, I would keep the reception short in general (since people will get hungry!), so perhaps only an hour of dancing if you want.

On the decorating, I'm not much help because I hate that part of weddings - but off the top of my head, chess boards would make pretty cool centerpieces, especially if you happen to know somebody crafty (or want to learn a new skill!) who could hand-carve the pieces.

As far as the cake goes, you mentioned you were on a tight budget, so why pay somebody to make chess pieces out of chocolate? Any edible decoration like that is going to cost you a lot of money. I'd skip it and use wooden chess pieces.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Jan 28, 2010 1:17 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I agree with Artbride on both the dancing and skipping the fancy chocolate. I had a booth at our recent bridal fair and was right next to a chocolatier. They charged over $1 for teeny tiny chocolate wedding bells that weren't even an inch long or wide.

You can get travel size chess/travel game sets at Oriental Trading company. On special right now $7.99 a dozen.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Jan 28, 2010 1:24 PM Go to message in response to: Legasia

I'm assuming that with light finger food, you're not doing a seating chart, right? If you are, you can give the tables names with chess terminology (not knowing a thing about chess, I have no idea what those names would be. . .checkmate? Bobby Fisher?) instead of numbers.

As for dancing, I forget if you identified what time of day the reception will be. Regardless, I suggest that you just put what to expect on the invitations. If there will be dancing, I'd put somewhere on the invite "Light Refreshments and Dancing"

Also, since you're going to have a first dance, and another dance, I think you should definitely have dancing. I think it would be weird to watch the bride and groom dance and then go home.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 4:09 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

I was thinking of buying a chocolate mold and making the edible pieces myself. It's only about $6-7 and then I can make fun candies later on! Thanks everyone for the decoration ideas, they are very neat and creative and I will probably end up using a bunch of them! Keep em coming!

As for refreshments, we were planning on sandwiches, chips, veggies and dip, maybe some fruit and cheese trays, and punch. Plus the cake and those yummy looking chess cookies! But my fiance's grandma loves to cook and she might demand we let her make something, so we might end up with more. But I will defiantly mention it on the invitations so that everyone knows what to expect. As for time, we are thinking between lunch and dinner hours so that most people will already have eaten and might just want a few snacks or whatever. But that really helps because I was afraid of doing something that might not be correct. So thank you all so much!

Felixydacianajera Posts : 1 Registered: 6/19/09
Posted: Jan 31, 2010 2:00 AM Go to message in response to: Legasia

good ideas

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine