Buy a dress without ever trying on a dress?

Online Users: 1,328 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 2

bridalBunch Posts : 14 Registered: 1/18/10
Buy a dress without ever trying on a dress?
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 10:00 PM

Friends,

I'm living in Thailand with my fiance. We are English teachers and got engaged here. I've never tried on wedding dresses, because the wedding dresses in the Thai shops are very Asian and the ones that are not are very frilly and fussy and not me in any way.

We are moving back to the States in March so it makes since to just wait until then to try on dresses for our October 2010 wedding.

HOWEVER, I found a beautiful Amsale dress online that I immdediately fell in love with and will never be able to afford. Being in Thailand, I could have the dress replicated almost exactly. This would give me the dress I love AND a unique Thai element that makes it even more special to me and fiance.

My question is this: Has anyone picked out a dress they loved, went to the shop, tried it on and bought it? I know everyone says that once they tried on dresses they often found they liked something totally different than they expected. If I have the dress tailor made, I'm pretty much locked in, still in love with it or not. No refunds, although they would be willing to make adjustments.

What would you do? Nay, what should I do?

Thanks,
B

jbear Posts : 73 Registered: 9/18/06
Re: Buy a dress without ever trying on a dress?
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 10:13 PM Go to message in response to: bridalBunch

well... I bought my dress without ever having tried it on because I got such a good deal on craigslist. I am not sure how I feel about it. I like it but I don't necessarily love it... which is sad, but I think for the price I can deal with it.

In your situation, I think maybe I would just go for it. I'm not sure exactly how it works getting a dress made there, but they do generally have several fittings, etc. It seems like if you scheduled extra fittings so that you could see it in progress, maybe it would help you. If you start to realize you don't really like it, maybe they could change the direction they're going with it when they're still in progress?

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Buy a dress without ever trying on a dress?
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 12:14 PM Go to message in response to: bridalBunch

You already know yourself, your body, and your best styles (even if they're not in wedding dresses). So, if you love it, go for it. This is different from buying online, because you will be there, have fittings, and be able to make adjustments. For my daughter's wedding, I found an Yves St. Laurent (!!) suit that I loved. I had a local designer incorporate the details into my custom made outfit. We modified as we went along, and I ended up with something that was not an exact replica, but an outfit that worked for me.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine