Here to help brides with Tight Budgets!

Online Users: 1,245 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 47
Posted: Mar 8, 2005 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

See, if I have 200 people, which is what it looks like it's going to be, and spend only $20/guest for food/hors d'eourves/drinks etc., that's $4000 right there. Plus even if I go low on the dress, photography, flowers, music - which I plan on anyway....

And there's no way, I don't think, that I could get away without having a meal.

I mean, it looks like my parents are going to help pay - which is part of why there's no way out of having a meal - but I'd still like to keep the costs down...

And I couldn't cut the guest list. My family, large as it is, is very close-knit - and I have four parents (mom and dad divorced and remarried). And FH's family is likewise very close. If we cut the guest list, there would be a lot of hurt feelings.

Posted: Mar 8, 2005 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

This was the biggest thing we did to save money. We are having an evening ceremony and then just a cake reception.

In our part of the country people eat supper fairly early around 5:30-6:30. We are having a 7pm ceremoney and shooting for starting the reception at 8pm. The dancing will hopefully start by 9pm.

We are having some late night munchies brought in between 9 & 10 but it's appetizer stuff like spinich & artichoke dip w/ fresh bread and cheese and cracker kinda things.

Posted: Mar 9, 2005 11:43 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I give each and every one of you all the credit in the world for pulling a wedding together around $5,000!! That's awsome Smile

Unfortunetly, my guest list far exceeds anything in that price range (390 invited). But, I really enjoy all the tips and suggestions I've picked up!

Posted: Mar 9, 2005 12:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi ladies
i am new to this board. I am also planning a wedding with 50 people and for 5K and so far I think i can do it.
I am not doing favors, my mom is buying my dress, the BMs are buying their own dresses, a friend will DJ and another will videograph so that is how I am saving cash!!

Lawby

Posted: Mar 9, 2005 4:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Just the thing I needed... Here is my break down:

We are having a formal black and white w/red roses, 2 girls, 2 guys, flower/ring... Reception in my home..

Wedding Dress: $600 Put it on Layaway $50 a week

Wedding Bands: $250 (I have a rather nice engagement ring and do not want to take away from that and he doesnt like jewlery, whew)

Church: $200 out the door

Flowers: $150
Mine, the girls, the guys, and petals only.

DJ: $300 - in my home

Catering - $400 (includes elegant passed Hors O Dors, and two servers, one for the bar) (Do I hear NETWORKING, lol)

Liquor - Guessing $300 We will buy ione bottle/mixer at a time.

MOH/Bridesmaid - Buying their own

Tuxes: $250 Paying for three, BM buying his own

Cake: $200, including delivery and setup

Photos: $150, Friend of a friend of a friend BUT good!!

Shoes, Veil, ect.. $300

Soooo thats about $3000, We are having a honeymoon registery and going to Miami (we live in Tampa, FL) with the kids for three days for less than $500 and going to Fiji next year (WITHOUT the kids) for 7 days to renew our vows... That gives us another year to pay for that ($2400)

Instead of the typical Cake Topper, flowers, inexspensive glasses/cake cutter, party store for napkins and such......

Mom will handle anything else that comes up and MOH will provide our limo for the "transfer"

Posted: Mar 9, 2005 9:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Girls!!

I'm new to the message board and I need HELP!
My husband (that's right, husband) and I have will be celebrating our 15 year anniversary in May. We've decided to renew our vows and I have absolutely no idea what's appropriate. I'm looking for blow by blow details on planning a ceremony and I need them fast. Our date is May 21st. I'm operating a a small budget ($3,000) for the ceremony (not including rings or honeymoon). I was hoping have a small ceremony (50-75 guest) outside and an indoor reception. I don't have a wedding planner and am afraid I'll leave out some of the important details. Help! Eek

Posted: Mar 10, 2005 9:01 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey ChristianBride--

I don't think that my day is any less special because we are spending a lot of money on it. We are getting married and that is the important part. On the other hand, my father WANTS to do this, and it is making him happy. He has been very active in the planning, and the wedding is turning out to be a beautiful day.

I am not saying that we couldn't have done it for cheaper, because there are ways that we probably could have...however, he makes enough money to afford a day like this, and that is what we chose. I am no STAR wannabe, it is completely mine and FH's day, and it is just the way we want it.

Money doesn't make something less religious, in fact, we are having a very religious ceremony, and I too am a christian bride...

Posted: Apr 14, 2005 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Here are some suggestions to save money on your wedding.

Don't serve alcohol
Have your reception and ceremony at the same place
Often hotels have great packages
Have a luncheon or brunch instead of dinner
A plated luncheon is often cheaper than a buffet
Use a grocery story florist (a rose is a rose)
Have your wedding in the off season (for example April or May in Mountain areas)
Use the internet to find invitations, favors, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Aspen Bride

Posted: Apr 18, 2005 10:59 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

We are looking to do it for around $3000.00 including my dress
So far so good I think we will hit the mark or come in slightly under. Dj was most costly at $425.00
I am doing the food myself with help from friends and family who actually want to bring something. I am making chair covers my self, really quite easy, once I got the hang of it. I bought remnants from local furniture maker. The fabric doesn't "match" but it is all in shades of purple (wedding colors) I plan to mix and match so it looks like I planned it that way.
Any family or friend who has offered I have accepted. hall rental 150.00 (tax decuction to local fire dept.)
I made my veil myself Again easy once I got the hang of it. Total cost for veil and veil trim (including practice veil) about $10.00 saved about $90.00 there and it took one day, well a little less.
Thats right jillybean unless you have friends who have tents etc a back yard reception can get costly. We are hiring 2 people to serve @ $50.00 each.
Look into local colleges for music, food, cake, photography. the head of those depts can stear you to the best most reliable students.
Use michaels and joann fabrics coupons for 40% off
Find something you like.... can you make it your self? can you do it for less $$ than they are asking ?
Right now our camper is wedding central. All the things I have made and will be using are being stored in there.

Another way I am saving $$$$ is to grow my own flowers that will be used as centerpieces that the guests can take home any left overs go in my garden. I can grow enough flowers for everyone for about $20.00 and every year when the flowers bloom they can remember our day
Photography is being done by the Grooms cousin, she does all the family events.
It's her wedding gift she takes them develops them if you want 8x10's or whatever you pay for those.
Neighbor is doing cake her hubby is cooking the roast beef. I have 500 meatballs in freezer (bought meat when it was on sale) Doing the same with the chicken and Ital. saus.
don't forget the cost of marriage license in NYS $40.00
OH YEAH ! and in some tux shops it is cheaper to buy the ring bearers tux than to rent it.
Another thought.... YOU can rent a wedding dress in and around big cities. just a thought.

Posted: Apr 19, 2005 10:53 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey Ladies!

Ya'll are Awesome!!! I am so impressed by all of your money saving tips.

D.M.Y. Would you mind sharing your veil making tips? I just think it is absolutely riduculous to pay upwards of $300 for a piece of tulle but am unsure how to go about making. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Big Grin

Posted: Apr 19, 2005 11:27 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Maia
When I looked at veils the cost of them was mind blowing.... to say the least.
So I took a real good look at what the store had to offer, how it was made, put together etc then I went out and wrote down ideas and made some sketches, nothing professional at all trust me.
Then I went to michaels and in the bridal aisle they has some pretty "ribbon" that had little roses mixed in with a thin ribbon of tulle. Brand name "Bridal elegance" on front
on back sku # 274424 item # 9471-109RT
they have it in white and ivory They also had ivory tulle which is what I needed to go with my dress (white also avail) and clear hair combs.
I bought thread in ivory to match tulle
Then when I went home I figured out how long I wanted it to be and cut it to that length. I wanted mine to curve so I folded it in half and cut the curve, when I opened it I needed to do just a little touch up trimming. (work on kitchen or dining room table) I then took my thread and gathered up the tulle on one end, this goes on the comb. I made gathers as wide as comb "sewed " the tulle to the comb by going round and round the comb thru the tulle. (if you want plain no ribbon or satin of any kind stop here, pearls or crystals can be glued or sewn on for added effect) Now just sew the rose ribbon to the tulle , there is little clear plastic catch holes on back of ribbon to sew thru. You don't have to "catch" all the holes every 2-3 is fine. keep sewing till you get back to the comb. All sewing is done by hand. Just a side note I flunked sewing in home ec.
I am using 2 combs one will have the veil, which I will remove at reception, after formal pics are taken, so it doesn't get in the way. Then on top of veil comb will be a pretty comb that I will kepp in my hair for extra decoration.
I hope this makes sense and that it helps.
Good luck

Posted: Apr 19, 2005 2:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thank goodness for the South where nearly all receptions are cocktail receptions! The place I booked is just a tad over $4000 and covers all our food, drinks, set ups (chairs, tables, silverware) wedding cake, groom's cake, cake napkins (with our monogram), guest book, floral arrangments for the room, servers, coordinator, and some other things I know I am forgetting.An aunt is taking our photos (no charge!) I got a great dress on sale (I think it may actually be a prom dress but no one would ever know but me if it was). The Dj is $250 for 4 hours and the flowers are also $250.I don't plan on doing favors becasue they just seem like such a waste on money to me (who keeps these things anyway?!). So, that leaves about another $300 to spend and still remain on budget. Yeah! I'm sure I'll find something to spend that money on!

Saterlee Posts : 1 Registered: 10/21/09
Re: Here to help brides with Tight Budgets!
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 7:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi! I read your post and would love a few pointers on how you managed to plan your wedding with that budget. I'm finishing my B.A. right now so working part time is going to make the budget tight. My parents are going to help out but I don't want it to be a burden. I would love some tips! Thank you in advance!

Karissa

mrouti Posts : 1 Registered: 1/13/09
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey,

My Budget has been bigger than 5k but i have still cut lots of corners without cutting quality.

1. I ordered speacial papers to make my own invitations (the same invites i made if i bought them would have been $12 each and i made 200 for $350)

2. almost everything has a double fuction we bought wooden signs that someone make saying mr. and the other mrs. and on the back just and married and we will use them in our photos and then hang them in our bathroom our isle runner flowers with then be transformed into our center pieces.

3. I made homemade chapstick (50 of them) for 30 bucks and i made 120 glass jars of homemade bath salts (cam out great!!!)

4. flower girl dresses from burlington coat fac. for $30 and it had the girls dress and 1 for there doll attached soo cute and that was there gift for being in the wedding.

5.CAN NOT skimp on photos that is everything but got a local guy to give us a HUGE discount because of the economy. (got a $6,000+ package for $3,000)

6. friend of family is doing the service (not getting married in a church save on fee).

7. Made my hair pieces my self.

8. Bought live bushes to use as decor (mom is planting them at the house when we are finished)

9. make beaded braclets for bridesmaids that match the dresses.

those are just some of the things I did to cut corners ebay and etsy are fantastic sources!!!

SummerLilly Posts : 3 Registered: 1/21/10
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 2:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ladies I am on such a small budget ($1000). I don't know where to begin. I'm hoping to have the ceremony and reception in one place. I'm hoping to use my parent's backyard. I am hoping to use tables and chairs from my church - hopefully for free. I have a friend taking the pics but she will still probably charge a little bit. I'm hoping to find my dress for $100 and do my own flowers.

Is it too much to dream that I could pull off a dancing reception? The guest list is 50-60 people and most are family and friends. I was truly hoping to have a dessert/dancing reception. My finance and I have both been married and I would prefer to have something more than a cake/punch reception, it's what I had at my last wedding.

I would have a cocktail reception and then go out dancing later but there are kids and no one is really able to babysitt. The one detail I wasn't going to have problems with was our first dance. We know exactly what song we want.

Please help - let me know what items I don't have to have and what simply must be there. (Programs, favors, save-the-dates)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine