whats my dad supposed to wear?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

HisBetty8 Posts : 6 Registered: 1/27/09
whats my dad supposed to wear?
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 12:20 PM

so im getting married in june and my dad is freaking out as to what hes supposed to wear. Its a beach casual wedding, during the day. so i thought he and the father of the groom could either match the groom or the groomsmen. is this correct? i need help cuz hes freaking out already.. i thought that was MY job??

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: whats my dad supposed to wear?
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 12:28 PM Go to message in response to: HisBetty8

In a way, it IS your job, as the bride usually gives guidelines on what the wedding party m embers(including parents) wear. Since it is beach casual, are the members of the wedding party dressing informally (e.g. khakis and linen shirts, sport jackets/no tie)? If so, then Dad should fit that level of formality. So, ease his anxiety by giving him some suggestions/guidelines. If he needs you to be more specific, pick something out, show him pictures, go shopping with him. You'll be calmer if he's a happy camper.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.co

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 1:16 PM Go to message in response to: HisBetty8

Dear Fling,

If the wedding is beach casual, why have the fathers "match" anyone? Just put them in beach casual clothing, similar (but not identical) to what the groomsmen are wearing.

Another suggestion: why have the groomsmen/bridesmaids match in identical clothes? If the wedding is casual, why not just have all the wedding attendants wear unmatched but similar beach casual clothes? I am a great fan of getting away from usual line of people in identical clothing. Most weddings look like a Rockettes lineup to me.

Or, here's a suggestion. Match a bridesmaid to a groomsman in terms of clothing fabric. Bridesmaid A and Groomsman A in an orange floral print for her dress and his shirt. Then Bridesmaid B and Groomsman B in a red different floral print for her dress and his shirt. (etc) The guys wear khaki pants, or cargo shorts, and all wear flip-flops.

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 7:08 PM Go to message in response to: HisBetty8

all of the bridesmaids are wearing whatever dress theyd like as long as it matches our colors and the guys are all wearing khaki pants and white button down shirts. but my FH is wearing a suit and since my dad is a huge part of our planning and he wants to stand out a little i wasnt sure what to tell him. Id like him to be comfortable but i know he wont be unless everyone knows that its his little girl getting married.. so i guess hes wearing a suit like my FH !! thanks for your help..
getting married in JUNE!!!!!!

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 7:27 PM Go to message in response to: HisBetty8

Dear Fling,

".. so i guess hes wearing a suit like my FH !! thanks for your help.. "

That sounds great. Go for it.

Here's an idea. Get him a baseball cap with "FOB" on the front. He can wear that around town before and after W-Day. Maybe at the rehearsal dinner as well. Heck, why not at the wedding as well, with his suit. Sounds like something my husband would do.

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 11:57 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I think having him in a suit is a great idea, just maybe a different color from what your FH is wearing, or maybe something to compliment what your mom is wearing? Are you wearing white or ivory? What color suit is your FH wearing?

AOTB, while FOB does stand for Father Of the Bride, it also means "Fresh Of the Boat". My FH is filipino, and a lot of my friends are, so whenever I hear or see FOB I think of someone who just came over to the US (that's the term that they use)! Some people may not think anything of it, but others might, I know if my dad wore anything that said FOB none of us would be able to keep a straight face, LOL!

Posted: Jan 19, 2010 9:46 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Dear Mrs L,

"AOTB, while FOB does stand for Father Of the Bride, it also means "Fresh Of the Boat". "

Oh, dear. I had not thought of that. I remember, years back, some of my Asian students telling me about FOB-ers.

Maybe the baseball cap could say "Bride's Dad" instead!!!

DNAmindy Posts : 47 Registered: 7/24/09
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 10:41 AM Go to message in response to: HisBetty8

I think your dad would look good if you put him in something similar to what the groomsmen are wearing (white buttondown, khakis), but get him a great blazer too. A blue would look good - sort of nautical. Or maybe put him in darker pants and get him a khaki colored blazer. I think this style would still look beach casual but it will make your dad a little more formal than the groomsmen but a little less formal than your groom.

Edited by: DNAmindy on Jan 19, 2010 10:41 AM

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

thanks for all the help.. Dad decided to wear a tan suit like my FH and have his shirt match (or at least not clash with ) what my mom will be wearing. our colors are baby blue and sage green ( whole beach theme there...) and my mom is going to be in lavendar. thanks again for your help.
getting married in JUNE!!!!!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine