Several concerns

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

chfsgrl Posts : 36 Registered: 1/6/10
Several concerns
Posted: Jan 14, 2010 4:41 PM

What is proper etiquette in regards to the Bride and Groom exchanging gifts...Is this something that people still do? DO you plan to include this tradition? What will you buy your Groom??

Also, I am planning a delayed reception and was wondering how far in advance am I supposed to mail out invites?? Any help??

wedding countdown

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: Several concerns
Posted: Jan 14, 2010 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

My DH and I wrote one another love letters and gave them to each other at the reception.

I still have mine in my purse.

Misty

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jan 14, 2010 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

Dear Chf,

What happens between a husband and wife is their own business. If you want to give each other gifts, great. Go for it.

For your delayed reception, mail the invitations about a month ahead of the date.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jan 14, 2010 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

My groom didn't get me anything. Which I expected. But I got him a card and, since we did a hike with friends after our reception, I got him a new T-shirt to wear on the hike (and got myself a new T-shirt, too). Now every time either of us wears those T-shirts I'm reminded of our wedding day. :) And I think the funnest part was knowing he wasn't expecting it and having my friend deliver it to him while we were getting dressed.

My best friend got her hubby a new watch. I'm not sure what he got her. I would've probably gotten DH something like if he wore a watch. He's hard to buy for. But as you can see there's a range of possibilities.

preview image

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2010 8:44 AM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

I dont think it's required but if you want to, then go for it. We didn't get each other anything and I guess we considered our honeymoon the gift. But to us, it was just one more thing to add to the To Do list and we weren't into adding one more thing to that list!

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2010 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

Like PP's said, it's totally up to you and your FH. It's not required. We did, he got me a pair of earrings I had really wanted for the wedding and gave them to me at the rehearsal dinner so I'd have them to wear the next day. I got him a traditional gift in my family, a family crest plaque to hang in our new home. I had my MOH deliver it to him before the ceremony. So it had some meaning for us and I love the earrings, they are simple enough to wear now, but nicer than most of my hoops so I can dress up a bit!

If you do a gift, it doesn't need to be extravagent, both of you are spending a lot on the wedding and maybe a honeymoon, so it can be simple, but meaningful. But don't feel pressured that you HAVE to get each other something. Best Wishes!

Daisypath

"Come What May...."

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2010 10:31 AM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

We are spending enough money on the wedding as it is so I highly doubt we will give each other a gift. The honeymoon is considered a gift to us as well as the rings. Cat suggested a sweet idea of writing each other letters. I may just do that ;)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

headoverheels8 Posts : 80 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2010 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

I've been writing my FH letters in a journal since we started dating. I plan on giving it to him for his wedding present. I don't expect much from him because we need the money for other more important things.

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 2:52 PM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

Thanks everyone!!

wedding countdown

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 2:52 PM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

Thanks everyone!!

wedding countdown

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 9:03 AM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

Aw I think that writing one another a letter is a sweet idea!
You could do it the night before your wedding & explain every bit of emotion you're feeling that night. It'd be something cute to look back at after the wedding too.
Other benefits are that it wont cost you anything, it's a simple yet meaningful gesture, receiving one right before your wedding will calm the nerves & it won't take much time.
I'll always remember this one Cat, great suggestion!

mrsmclaughlin Posts : 6 Registered: 7/1/08
Posted: Jan 19, 2010 8:42 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

chfsgrl? I sent you a private message a while ago, I don't know if you got it or not, but I think I might be near your area, and with a military spouse myself. If you need anything, you can talk to me, maybe.

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 11:18 AM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

Like others have said, it's a totally personal decision. Eric and I are not exchanging gifts, because we talked about it and have decided that our honeymoon is our gift to each other. We're paying for the wedding ourselves and have made the decision to sacrifice some things (both wedding-wise and otherwise) so that we can have the honeymoon that we really want. That is enough of a gift for us, in our eyes.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 1:30 PM Go to message in response to: chfsgrl

FH & I are really into doing care packages for each other (we are long distance.)

So we are going to exchange care packages on the day of that will help us for that day.

Just things like

--mix CD for when getting ready
--six pack of beer for him and his GM (I know...a 6 pack...but I don't want them wasted at the ceremony)
--his favourite gum
--an extra pair of dress socks
--kleenex (he's a crier)
--a lint roller
--toothbrush
--itenerary of the day
--some snacks for him and the boys
--love letter

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com