Wedding flowers...

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

LilMissSouthern... Posts : 22 Registered: 11/10/09
Wedding flowers...
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 7:58 AM

I'm sure that this is a topic that is posted over and over but I need to know...

My fiance and I have been looking at flowers for our wedding. We are getting married in September in Virginia. We are having a very small wedding. Like 50 people.

Our budget is undetermined but we know we don't want to spend too much. So we ran into some silk flowers that look real. I mean they really look real. So what we were wondering is if it is tacky to sue silk flowers instead of real ones. In our case it is actually cheaper to do it that way.
I love you more than Reece Pieces and ice cream together.

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Wedding flowers...
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 9:59 AM Go to message in response to: LilMissSouthern...

I wouldn't say its tacky. However, anyone I know who wanted to use silk flowers ending up scrapping the idea. A lot of times they ones that look real add up in cost very fast. I would check the prices with a florist first before deciding. Since you have a small wedding, it might not be that much money. I'd get all the info on both options before picking on or the other.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 10:34 AM Go to message in response to: LilMissSouthern...

I think you should also weigh the time it takes to make everything against how much money a florist will cost. It might be worth a few extra bucks to have someone else take care of it. I like DIY as much as the next guy but wedding flowers don't really seem like an area where I'd want to take matters into my own hands. Plus what if you get everything and it turns into a mountain of problems (which is always what happens to me when I have grand ideas). I'm just giving you scenarios. Price everything out and compare...that's really the only thing you can do.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

Posted: Jan 12, 2010 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

We have price checked both and the real flowers would cost us over $1000 just for the bouquests, bouttanierres (sp?) and corsages for family. That doesn't even include centerpieces... When we got all the supplies added up including flower stems (for the silk flowers) it was only $380.

My main concern is if it is socially acceptable or not. I know before it wasn't. So I want to make sure it won't look tacky I'll see if I can post a pic of the bouquets we made with the fake flowers.

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 11:04 AM Go to message in response to: LilMissSouthern...

Just out of curiosity, how many people are in the bridal party? That seems awfully high to me.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 11:31 AM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

To answer your question, no, it's not tacky to use silk flowers. But I"m with Bride2008--that seems an awfully high quote for just family and bridal party. I only bought flowers for our bridal party and families, too, plus a flower cake topper, no centerpieces, and it cost me around $360. For that money, we got:

1 bridal bouquet
1 bridesmaid bouquet
1 nosegay bouquet for the MOB
2 corsages (1 for MOG and 1 for stepmom)
3 boutonnieres
1 cake topper

And I'm in the Los Angeles area, so it's not like I'm in a less expensive part of the country. Just in case you want to reconsider real flowers.

One thing that made the difference in the price was using flowers that were in season, so if you didn't ask about that, I would recommend it. I was really set on a certain type of flower for my bouquet, but when my flower lady showed me I could get the same look for significantly less $$ if I went with flowers in season, I scrapped my original idea.

preview image

rekk1986 Posts : 4 Registered: 1/7/10
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 8:28 PM Go to message in response to: LilMissSouthern...

Wow i love flower so much, and in this case i think your decision is right. silk flower can be unreal but they are fresh and keep the beginning color. But the silk flower is used to decorate the wedding celebration, another you should use real flower. Regard.

Posted: Jan 13, 2010 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

There are four Bm's and 4 Gm's and then there is 4 Grandparents and two mothers and two fathers... One ring bearer and a toss bouquet...

Here is the silk flower bouquet we made yesterday to get an idea...<a class=http://mybouquet.jpg" width="360" height="480" />

this would be my bouquet

florist Posts : 13 Registered: 3/15/09
Posted: Feb 17, 2010 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: LilMissSouthern...

I love the color scheme of pink and green, but those flowers don't look fresh....you are trading your time for your dollars when you do your own flowers, but you can save 50-75% of the cost by doing them yourself! Check out my website: www.doityourselfweddingflowerguide.com I teach you how to do everything you need for your wedding florals. I recommend that you order your flowers 3 weeks in advance, pick them up or have them delivered 3 days in advance, process them the day they come in, design everything 2 days before the wedding, refrigerate everything and relax the day before the wedding....get a manicure, pedicure, whatever you need to relax the day before the wedding. Good luck.
The Wedding Flower Diva

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine